PDA

View Full Version : LAT: Obama is fast losing white voters' support, 11% drop among white Dems

Liberty Star
09-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Normally grouping people based on skin color is no no but it becomes kosher if it's for a poll and for statistical purposes?

LAT is known for its liberal bias but polling data has some interesting conclusions. If numbers are valid, I don't think it's just healthcare, very badly managed Afghan war is very likely a significant factor in Obama's falling support among Dems and some indies.

Obama is fast losing white voters' support

His approval ratings with the crucial bloc have plunged since April. Strategists say the healthcare debate is largely to blame, but that's not the only reason.

By Peter Wallsten

September 7, 2009

Reporting from Washington - After a summer of healthcare battles and sliding approval ratings for President Obama, the White House is facing a troubling new trend: The voters losing faith in the president are the ones he had worked hardest to attract.

New surveys show steep declines in Obama's approval ratings among whites -- including Democrats and independents -- who were crucial elements of the diverse coalition that helped elect the country's first black president.

Among white Democrats, Obama’s job approval rating has dropped 11 points since his 100-days mark in April, according to surveys by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. It has dropped by 9 points among white independents and whites over 50, and by 12 points among white women -- all groups that will be targeted by both parties in next year's midterm elections.

"While Obama has a lock on African Americans, his support among white voters seems to be almost in a free fall," said veteran Republican pollster Neil Newhouse.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-politics7-2009sep07,0,7305762.story

zach
09-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I thought racism ended once this administration started.

:rolleyes:

Matthew Zak
09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I thought racism ended once this administration started.

The hypocrisy of B.E.T. in the white house. When Obama is raping the country for everything it's worth, and the only demographic that doesn't seem to notice or care is black... who's racist? This is sickening.

SelfTaught
09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
It's good to see that his white support is declining, but this was probably to be expected. When he loses black supporters, we will know that the regime is about to topple. He stacked the deck with race cards, but when those run out, he'll have few tricks left to play on the American People.

It's funny how I'm watching the President's speech to unions in Cincinatti right now, and people are still chanting YES WE CAN!!!!

Hopefully, they'll soon be saying, "YES WE.........damn. We fucked up."

jmdrake
09-07-2009, 11:59 AM
The hypocrisy of B.E.T. in the white house. When Obama is raping the country for everything it's worth, and the only demographic that doesn't seem to notice or care is black... who's racist? This is sickening.

It's racist to claim B.E.T. speaks for all black people! :mad: Obama's numbers are dropping among blacks. Cornel West, one of his top black supporters, recently called him a "neoliberal" who is "taking from the poor and giving to the rich". And look at all of the hip hoppers who have come out against him. (KRS-One, professor Griff, Mobb Deep, Chuck D, Flavo Flav etc). Sure most blacks will vote for him in 2012, but that's because they'll be given a choice between him and the equivalent of John McCain. That IS no real choice! The problem isn't "black people voting for Obama". The problem is Americans voting for MSM annointed candidates!

catdd
09-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't know what it will take for liberals to see that they are getting a royal screwing by the Democrat party. At some point they should see what a mess the 2 party system is and go 3rd party. I'm expecting a lot of them to go green in the next election.

torchbearer
09-07-2009, 12:02 PM
It's racist to claim B.E.T. speaks for all black people! :mad: Obama's numbers are dropping among blacks. Cornel West, one of his top black supporters, recently called him a "neoliberal" who is "taking from the poor and giving to the rich". Sure most blacks will vote for him in 2012, but that's because they'll be given a choice between him and the equivalent of John McCain. That IS no real choice! The problem isn't "black people voting for Obama". The problem is Americans voting for MSM annointed candidates!

Anyone who supported bush but can't stand obama is either an extreme partisan or a racist.
Anyone who hated bush, but loves obama is either an extreme partisan or a racist.
There is no qualitative difference between those two people's policies, only quantitative differences.
Thus, to like one and not the other is to state you either supported them because of the party, or because of their skin color.
Both attributes are shallow reasons to support someone and is the real problem.

jmdrake
09-07-2009, 12:03 PM
And don't forget this little gem of an incident.

YouTube - Rev. Jesse Jackson: I Wanna Cut off Obama's Nuts! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cML1ZVmRN9A)

(Not that I support Jesse Jackson.)

jmdrake
09-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Anyone who supported bush but can't stand obama is either an extreme partisan or a racist.
Anyone who hated bush, but loves obama is either an extreme partisan or a racist.
There is no qualitative difference between those two people's policies, only quantitative differences.
Thus, to like one and not the other is to state you either supported them because of the party, or because of their skin color.

Well you can take race out of the equation by comparing Bush to Clinton. There were people who hated Clinton and loved Bush and vice versa. And yes I do agree such people are extremely partisan. Unfortunately they make up the majority of the U.S. electorate.

torchbearer
09-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Well you can take race out of the equation by comparing Bush to Clinton. There were people who hated Clinton and loved Bush and vice versa. And yes I do agree such people are extremely partisan. Unfortunately they make up the majority of the U.S. electorate.

Maybe you can give me some insight on how the southern black population fell in love with the democratic party.
The democratic party was the party of the southern states. It is the party that created the KKK to keep blacks from voting. It was the party that created Jim Crowe laws.
Yet, somehow, black people think this party is out for their best interested.
How in the hell did they think that the people who brought them all of the above would actually value them as people?

Do you know that democratic state leaders talk about the black neighborhoods as if they are cattle? It is insanity.

Liberty Star
09-07-2009, 12:25 PM
When Obama is raping the country for everything it's worth, and the only demographic that doesn't seem to notice or care is black... who's racist? This is sickening.

To be fair, when Bush (a born again Christian) was doing the same, big majority of "White Evangelicals" stayed loyal to him till the end, such blind loyalty is not limited to any single demographic.

For many "black" people, historic precedence set by election of "first Black President" probably will overshadow other issues till the end of his Presidency. Same probably would be the case for the first POTUS of another minority group in America, people have natutal/learned biases that color their judgments.

andrewh817
09-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Well at least he's losing support......doesn't really matter whose. His approval ratings are consistently going to drop until the end of his term.

angelatc
09-07-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't know what it will take for liberals to see that they are getting a royal screwing by the Democrat party. At some point they should see what a mess the 2 party system is and go 3rd party. I'm expecting a lot of them to go green in the next election.

They have had 50 years to see it. They haven't figured it out yet.

devil21
09-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Hopefully, they'll soon be saying, "YES WE.........damn. We fucked up."

McCain wouldn't have been any better. Don't forget that. He'd have just created a different set of problems while continuing the same ones that Obama is continuing. After 8 months of Obama people are already starting to get jaded and question things.

The awakening is slow but it is happening. A close friend of mine voted for Obama and recently she openly asked rhetorically "I wonder how things would have been different with McCain instead?" Of course I had to remind her of GWB to keep things in perspective but the fact that she, and others, are starting to see what we've already figured out is very encouraging. This poll shows that it's happening all over. Heck, we haven't even made it through a YEAR of this guy yet!

SelfTaught
09-07-2009, 02:44 PM
McCain wouldn't have been any better. Don't forget that. He'd have just created a different set of problems while continuing the same ones that Obama is continuing. After 8 months of Obama people are already starting to get jaded and question things.

The awakening is slow but it is happening. A close friend of mine voted for Obama and recently she openly asked rhetorically "I wonder how things would have been different with McCain instead?" Of course I had to remind her of GWB to keep things in perspective but the fact that she, and others, are starting to see what we've already figured out is very encouraging. This poll shows that it's happening all over. Heck, we haven't even made it through a YEAR of this guy yet!

True.

And some of the third party candidates like McKinney were not as bad but just as commie, sort of.

In the next elections, people need to realize that it is not who we ELECT, but who we SELECT. In past elections, we were supposedly patriotic because we elected people who have been pre-selected for us. If we really want to get out of this cycle, people better realize that the candidates we elect are the candidates that we chose to bring to the front and center.

KramerDSP
09-07-2009, 03:00 PM

Torch, I couldn't agree more. I talked about this a little in a post I wrote (http://deafronpaul.blogspot.com/2009/09/george-carlin-on-who-really-controls.html) that featured George Carlin talking about who really owns us.

jmdrake
09-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe you can give me some insight on how the southern black population fell in love with the democratic party.
The democratic party was the party of the southern states. It is the party that created the KKK to keep blacks from voting. It was the party that created Jim Crowe laws.
How in the hell did they think that the people who brought them all of the above would actually value them as people?

Do you know that democratic state leaders talk about the black neighborhoods as if they are cattle? It is insanity.

I could say "Well I'll answer that after you answer why southern whites, most of whom HATE Lincoln, largely affiliate themselves with the party of Lincoln".

Or I could say "Please look up why famous black TV journalist Tony Brown joined the Republican party...and then left a few years later in disgust."

Or I could say "Look at my earlier response about there being no real choice between John McCain and Barack Obama."

Insanity cuts both ways.

devil21
09-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I know a lot of us have Dem friends, family and acquaintances with the majority being white. I know I send them stuff in an effort to paint the picture of "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss." Some have started to see the light. Is it possible that we (liberty minded individuals) have actually accounted for much of that 11% effect through our activism?

torchbearer
09-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I could say "Well I'll answer that after you answer why southern whites, most of whom HATE Lincoln, largely affiliate themselves with the party of Lincoln".

Or I could say "Please look up why famous black TV journalist Tony Brown joined the Republican party...and then left a few years later in disgust."

Or I could say "Look at my earlier response about there being no real choice between John McCain and Barack Obama."

Insanity cuts both ways.

I can explain the white republican vote.
Reagan. He ran against a yankee liberal on the democratic ticket, and the yank lost big time. The democratic party lost the southern white vote in that election. That sealed the deal- along with his strong military stance and libertarian rhetoric.
Now you explain the blacks supporting the KKK party.

jmdrake
09-07-2009, 10:17 PM
I can explain the white republican vote.
Reagan.
Now you explain the blacks supporting the KKK party.

The south was leaning heavily Republican before Reagan. But if you want to play stupid games like that I can say "Kennedy". :rolleyes: If you want a serious answer I can give you want. In the meantime research "Nixon's southern strategy" and get back with me when you have a better grasp on history.

torchbearer
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
The south was leaning heavily Republican before Reagan. But if you want to play stupid games like that I can say "Kennedy". :rolleyes: If you want a serious answer I can give you want. In the meantime research "Nixon's southern strategy" and get back with me when you have a better grasp on history.

Um, I was in a group of people that experienced a change in politics. I was in that history. And i'm telling you honestly why the democratic white population shifted in Louisiana.
No one I know voted for Nixon.
So- how about you give me a real answer.
Was kennedy promising something for a vote? Was it that people in black communities found him handsome?
What allowed blacks to forget about the men in bed sheets?

jmdrake
09-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Um, I was in a group of people that experienced a change in politics. I was in that history. And i'm telling you honestly why the democratic white population shifted in Louisiana.
No one I know voted for Nixon.
So- how about you give me a real answer.
Was kennedy promising something for a vote? Was it that people in black communities found him handsome?
What allowed blacks to forget about the men in bed sheets?

1) If you think Louisiana is the sum total of Southern politics you are mistaken.
2) Nixon won because he won the south.
3) Many of the men in bedsheets switched parties.
4) When you ask an intelligent question I'll give you an intelligent answer. Right now you're just being a prick.
5) I mentioned earlier that Tony Brown joined the GOP and then quit in disgust. Your attitude might explain why.

torchbearer
09-07-2009, 10:53 PM
1) If you think Louisiana is the sum total of Southern politics you are mistaken.
2) Nixon won because he won the south.
3) Many of the men in bedsheets switched parties.
4) When you ask an intelligent question I'll give you an intelligent answer. Right now you're just being a prick.
5) I mentioned earlier that Tony Brown joined the GOP and then quit in disgust. Your attitude might explain why.

NO, I'm being serious. But obviously you can't handle a serious discussion.
Louisiana is different. But it is also got a lot of racist people. The state democrats use the black population. They enslaved them with welfare. They maintain their power structures through bought votes. And now they have Uncle Tom heading the federal plantation.
I wanted your perception of why people in your family, and people you knew growing up would vote for a party that still to this day doesn't respect them.

jmdrake
09-07-2009, 11:08 PM
NO, I'm being serious. But obviously you can't handle a serious discussion.

I can handle serious discussions with serious people. When you denigrated blacks as "insane" for voting for dems I quit taking you seriously. I've had this same serious discussion with others on this board and it went well. They didn't stoop to ad hominems for a whole group of people because they didn't vote they way they thought they should. The "serious" fact is that Nixon's "southern strategy" didn't just bring in southern whites, it alienated blacks. (Despite the fact that Nixon instituted the first federal affirmative action programs.)

Louisiana is different. But it is also got a lot of racist people. The state democrats use the black population. They enslaved them with welfare. They maintain their power structures through bought votes. And now they have Uncle Tom heading the federal plantation.
I wanted your perception of why people in your family, and people you knew growing up would vote for a party that still to this day doesn't respect them.

And the GOP does? :rolleyes: For you to make ignorant statements like that explains why I don't take you serious. Are there some racist democrats? Sure. But for you to pretend that the KKK is only affiliated IN 2009 with the democratic party is just plain silly. David Duke ran as a republican. As I recall he's from your home state. Did he not get the memo that he's still supposed to be in the Democratic party?

I started off this thread telling people about blacks that have turned against the "Uncle Tom heading the federal plantation" as you call him. (If you were well read you wouldn't call Obama an Uncle Tom because Uncle Tom was actually a heroic figure. He allowed himself to be whipped to death rather than beat another slave.) But for some odd reason that wasn't good enough for you. I could have given you the answers you seem to want but you decided to be disingenuous. So figure the answer out for your own self. Or go look up Tony Brown and ask him. After all he joined the GOP (and LEFT IN DISGUST) many years ago.

torchbearer
09-07-2009, 11:12 PM
I can handle serious discussions with serious people. When you denigrated blacks as "insane" for voting for dems I quit taking you seriously. I've had this same serious discussion with others on this board and it went well. They didn't stoop to ad hominems for a whole group of people because they didn't vote they way they thought they should. The "serious" fact is that Nixon's "southern strategy" didn't just bring in southern whites, it alienated blacks. (Despite the fact that Nixon instituted the first federal affirmative action programs.)

sorry for being frank, next time I'll try to ask things in a round-about way.
Some people are a little sensitive and I forget that.

jmdrake
09-07-2009, 11:16 PM
sorry for being frank, next time I'll try to ask things in a round-about way.
Some people are a little sensitive and I forget that.

I don't mind "frankness". Its your lack of candor about your own party that got on my nerves. Again David Duke is a what.....? I don't fall for the "all Republicans are racist" line so why would you expect me to fall for a "all Democrats are racists" line?

Pericles
09-07-2009, 11:17 PM

You need to google dixiecrat. Hint: Former Klansman Robert Byrd did not have to change political parties.:)

jmdrake
09-07-2009, 11:24 PM
You need to google dixiecrat. Hint: Former Klansman Robert Byrd did not have to change political parties.:)

:rolleyes: You need to quit being patronizing and realize I know this already. And most of the "dixiecrats" eventually switched parties, changed their rhetoric (like Byrd did) or lost their re-election bids. Did you know that REPUBLICAN Strom Thurman was originally a "dixiecrat"? Did you know he also had a black love child?

BlackTerrel
09-08-2009, 01:03 AM

Kind of like white evangelical Christians and Bush? That was 8 years, this is 9 months... who's racist?

BlackTerrel
09-08-2009, 01:05 AM
And the GOP does? :rolleyes: For you to make ignorant statements like that explains why I don't take you serious. Are there some racist democrats? Sure. But for you to pretend that the KKK is only affiliated IN 2009 with the democratic party is just plain silly. David Duke ran as a republican. As I recall he's from your home state. Did he not get the memo that he's still supposed to be in the Democratic party?

I believe Duke also got the majority of the white vote when he ran.

Pericles
09-08-2009, 01:53 AM
I believe Duke also got the majority of the white vote when he ran.
The only election he won, was by less than 500 votes -

Pericles
09-08-2009, 01:57 AM
:rolleyes: You need to quit being patronizing and realize I know this already. And most of the "dixiecrats" eventually switched parties, changed their rhetoric (like Byrd did) or lost their re-election bids. Did you know that REPUBLICAN Strom Thurman was originally a "dixiecrat"? Did you know he also had a black love child?

In which case, you are also well aware that the black vote went Democratic in 1932 and has never looked back.

jmdrake
09-08-2009, 05:36 PM
In which case, you are also well aware that the black vote went Democratic in 1932 and has never looked back.

In 1932 FDR only got 23 percent of the black vote.

http://www.slate.com/id/87868

Yes he did do a lot to reach out to blacks. (Throwing "new deal" money to blacks as well as whites. Allowing blacks to serve in combat. The whole "Tuskegee airman" thing.") And sure 23 percent was high for the time. But calling that "the black voting going democrat" is laughable. And Republicans through Nixon got a sizable percentage of the black vote. He got 32 percent. While that definitely showed a shift away from the GOP, it's still a lot higher than FDR's 23 percent in 1932.

jmdrake
09-08-2009, 05:39 PM
To torchbearer: Check your PM for an apology and a better answer.

InterestedParticipant
09-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't believe the results in this poll. I downloaded the Pew pdf file and they claim that 90% of blacks like this turkey? I call BS on that. Any African American that hasn't sold out know what this chump is.... a phony baloney.

anaconda
09-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Minorities would fare much better under a Ron Paul administration. Thank you for the intelligent reminder of how people can believe in things that are completely twisted.

It's a damn shame about Soetoro's ratings, by the way.

thasre
09-08-2009, 06:14 PM

Duh, the racists are the white people who really hated Obama all the time because he was black but they're just now realizing it.

Obviously.

jmdrake
09-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Minorities would fare much better under a Ron Paul administration. Thank you for the intelligent reminder of how people can believe in things that are completely twisted.

It's a damn shame about Soetoro's ratings, by the way.

Most minorities ended 2008 without a clue who Ron Paul was or what he stood for. Seriously. LONG after the election I had people coming up to me seeing my bumper sticker and asking "Just who IS Ron Paul"?

It's not just minorities who would have been better off under Ron Paul. It's everybody. And they would have also been better off under Paul than under a McCain administration. I don't believe John McCain would have been any better (or worse) than Obama. The American people were given a false choice between elephant dung and donkey dung and some want to complain about them choosing donkey dung rather then putting our heads together and figuring out how to make sure they know there is something better on the menu.

Please read this post I made during the campaign about how I convinced a random black woman I met at a gas station to support Ron Paul.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=92475&highlight=stumping+ron+gas+station

Notice that this thread only got ONE REPLY! :mad:

I think torchbearer's heart is in the right place. I'll try to post more on the subject in the future.

Side note. It's funny how after the election of Obama, random white people would walk up to me, pump their fist in the air and say "We did it didn't we?" And I live in the deep south. :rolleyes:

BlackTerrel
09-08-2009, 09:06 PM
It's not just minorities who would have been better off under Ron Paul. It's everybody. And they would have also been better off under Paul than under a McCain administration. I don't believe John McCain would have been any better (or worse) than Obama.

Pretty much yeah...