PDA

View Full Version : Why Did the Founders Establish a Legislative Branch?

Omphfullas Zamboni
09-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Howdy,

Thinking the other day, I was puzzled by this question:

"If the federal government is limited to the enumerated powers listed in Article 1 Section 8, why did the founders establish a legislative branch, in the first place?"

It only makes sense that federal government would increase and begin to perform extra-Constitutional duties.

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate them.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

torchbearer
09-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Howdy,

"If the federal government is limited to the enumerated powers listed in Article 1 Section 8, why did the founders establish a legislative branch, in the first place?"

It only makes sense that federal government would increase and begin to perform extra-Constitutional duties.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

congress was granted power that they didn't want one man deciding.
like,um, going to war. that sounds like a good idea.
You would need a concensus of the states before going to war.
so, the state's federal representatives would be given this power.

newbitech
09-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Howdy,

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

good question

did you ever wonder why they are called "bills"?

forsmant
09-06-2009, 01:28 PM
In order to protect their status and assets and to create phony baloney jobs for their sons.

torchbearer
09-06-2009, 01:53 PM
In order to protect their status and assets and to create phony baloney jobs for their sons.

:rolleyes:

wizardwatson
09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
The problem isn't the legislative branch itself, but that laws are passed that our outside what should be manipulated or affected by federal power.

In other words, its the unconstitutionality of the laws passed, not the laws themselves.

EDIT: Of course I'm with Lysander Spooner on the Constitution in general. I'm certainly an American and believe in freedom and liberty, but screw this federal constitution business. Don't trust anything that I'm expected to follow without exemption.

torchbearer
09-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Don't trust anything that I'm expected to follow without exemption.

the constitution wasn't written for you to follow, but for the agencies it granted authority to...

which begs the question, if the federal government is disregarding the agreement that granted it certain powers, where is it getting its authority from?

hugolp
09-06-2009, 02:39 PM
the constitution wasn't written for you to follow, but for the agencies it granted authority to...

which begs the question, if the federal government is disregarding the agreement that granted it certain powers, where is it getting its authority from?

Weapons and specially tradition.