PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell are all the activists?

Sematary
09-29-2007, 12:49 AM
I've tried posting on message board after message board about various projects over the last month or two and all I see is apathy. Very few groups seem active at all and of the 45,000 or so meetup members it seems about 3% of them are actually DOING anything? What the Hell?

FrankRep
09-29-2007, 12:51 AM
I've tried posting on message board after message board about various projects over the last month or two and all I see is apathy. Very few groups seem active at all and of the 45,000 or so meetup members it seems about 3% of them are actually DOING anything? What the Hell?

Are you going to all the big groups?

The Columbus, Ohio group is quite active. Next week here we're going to a massive Rally in Cincinnati when Ron Paul comes into town.

robatsu
09-29-2007, 12:54 AM

Do a little googling (or what us codgers used to call "research") on Hyman Rickover and what he called the "nucleus of martyrs". Here is the deal-most people don't do anything and go along with the flow. Yeah, it is frustrating, but OTOH, it is also liberating, since all you have to do is grab the 3% of the herd that makes shit happen.

Sematary
09-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Are you going to all the big groups?

The Columbus, Ohio group is quite active. Next week here we're going to a massive Rally in Cincinnati when Ron Paul comes into town.

Yes, and yours is one of about 2 or 3 out of the top 20 that have even responded.
I don't know how to get these people off their asses. One guy is having a running argument with me in one meetup because he's a negative person and doesn't see how this can help. JEEZUS!

Sematary
09-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Do a little googling (or what us codgers used to call "research") on Hyman Rickover and what he called the "nucleus of martyrs". Here is the deal-most people don't do anything and go along with the flow. Yeah, it is frustrating, but OTOH, it is also liberating, since all you have to do is grab the 3% of the herd that makes shit happen.

It's not enough in this case. I want to see a national food drive in all 50 states and I can't get people to respond. I can't get people to contact their meetups. It's beyond frustrating. Why bother joining if they don't want to do anything?

ronpaulhawaii
09-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Yeah, it is frustrating, can't let it get you down for long tho. Motivation ebbs and flows. I just ride the tide and never stop moving in the direction we all aim for. Keeping an eye on the prize

JosephTheLibertarian
09-29-2007, 01:06 AM
Yes, and yours is one of about 2 or 3 out of the top 20 that have even responded.
I don't know how to get these people off their asses. One guy is having a running argument with me in one meetup because he's a negative person and doesn't see how this can help. JEEZUS!

That is why you have a vote on it.. or he can choose to not participate

FrankRep
09-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Effective leadership may be the issue.

No strong leaders = nothing gets done.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-29-2007, 01:12 AM

yeah, the meetup organizer doesn't have to be the "voice" of the group

Sematary
09-29-2007, 01:13 AM

Ya - I've seen that up close and personal in Boston.

Paulitician
09-29-2007, 01:15 AM
I think you'll find it easier to find slacktivists.

JosephTheLibertarian
Well, I'm sure Howard Dean meet up groups had these issues

Sematary
I think you'll find it easier to find slacktivists.

I need activists. :mad:

Sematary
09-29-2007, 01:16 AM
Well, I'm sure Howard Dean meet up groups had these issues

Are you always negative?

FrankRep
09-29-2007, 01:16 AM
Everyone, get off the Computer and start getting active outside!

much love.

:)

Revolution9
09-29-2007, 01:23 AM

I personally got sick and fed up of all the decrees issued by control freaks over what to say, wear, think. write and pander to. I do only for what i am involved in now.

What am I involved in..I am putting on an all day Fall Freedom Harvest Festival in Atlanta on October the 13th. It will have seven pro-Paul bands, 12 comedians, animprov comedy troupe doing a half hour Presidential deabte spoof, fire spinners and sword dancers as well as potboiler speeches.
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/294/calendar/6381634/
http://files.meetup.com/525251/FreedomFest_Oct13_L5P_72dpi.jpg

I go to the rallies every Saturday at Freedom Park and our group was specifically mentioned on Air America, a left wing gatekeeper of all places....and they said they had a Revolutionary War soldier there.. That's me.. Anita says to stop this attention getting. So do alot of other repugs trying to control the dress, style and personal choices of appearance of RP supporters. Dockers and a polo shirt are a clown uniform on me. I would never ever get caught in such a getup. F#@$ all you control freaks. You are driving away those with initiative who can produce hundreds of new voters...if not thousands..with your myopic and skewed vision of what this campaign should be about and look like.. That wasn't neocons bumping that thermometer skyward.. And leave the truthers out of your pathetic rants and fearmongering as well.

Sematary. Excuse my using your post as a soapbox..but it was a good segue.

:cool:
Randy

Trassin
09-29-2007, 01:25 AM

Robatsu, you an ex-nuke? Oh, and screw Rickover, the bastard.

As for apathy, you should check out Southern Illinois University Edwardsville some time. If I didn't know better I would think apathy was the number one major among students. I've met one student so far who is actively involved in spreading Ron Paul's message and the school didn't even have a Ron Paul facebook group until he created it yesterday.

FrankRep
09-29-2007, 01:26 AM
- We need leadership classes for Ron Paul groups.
- Plus we need people that know how to follow orders.

These two are out of alignment.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Are you always negative?

Excuse me? You sound pretty fucking negative to me in this thread. Maybe you should be asking yourself, all I implied was that Howard Dean meet up groups probably went through the same shit, not nearly as negative as your opening posting to this thread.

FrankRep
09-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Excuse me? You sound pretty fucking negative to me in this thread. Maybe you should be asking yourself, all I implied was that Howard Dean meet up groups probably went through the same shit, not nearly as negative as your opening posting to this thread.

Calm down. We're all stressed and frustrated. It's okay.

Abobo
09-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Plus we need people that know how to follow orders.

LOL! You're not going to find that. Why do you think we support Ron Paul? Because we want freedom, meaning we're not the kind of people who take orders well.

I don't want to insult anyone, but just because people don't respond to YOUR idea does not mean they are apathetic. Maybe they just don't like your idea, maybe they are busy with their own project. You're not going to help anything by insulting those who don't want to work with you.

FrankRep
09-29-2007, 01:35 AM
LOL! You're not going to find that. Why do you think we support Ron Paul? Because we want freedom, meaning we're not the kind of people who take orders well.

I don't want to insult anyone, but just because people don't respond to YOUR idea does not mean they are apathetic. Maybe they just don't like your idea, maybe they are busy with their own project. You're not going to help anything by insulting those who don't want to work with you.

I'm not saying anything. My group has awesome leadership.

Revolution9
09-29-2007, 01:38 AM
- We need leadership classes for Ron Paul groups.
- Plus we need people that know how to follow orders.

These two are out of alignment.

Like we need a hole in the head. All they have done is get in the way and slow things down. Do what you do and let others do what they do. It is really fucking simple and goes by the moniker of freedom and liberty. Control your self.

Randy

Revolution9
09-29-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm not saying anything. My group has awesome leadership.

Bow down before the one you serve.. Yer gonna get what you deserve.

May be fine and dandy for you pal. It ain't the cure for the population. Control your self.

Randy

Razmear
09-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Like we need a hole in the head. All they have done is get in the way and slow things down. Do what you do and let others do what they do. It is really fucking simple and goes by the moniker of freedom and liberty. Control your self.

Randy

Centralized control is like getting your water from a single pipe.
Ron Paul supporters are like a thunderstorm.
Which will water your lawn faster?

I'd rather be dancing in the rain than waiting for official instructions.

eb

acstichter
09-29-2007, 01:44 AM
There are some projects in Phoenix that have attracted ALOT of help. Signs, signs everywhere are signs...Constitutional Fair booths, Ron Paul marches, signwaving and neighborhood canvassing. Maybe the food drive, who knows.

Keep your spirit up, I've seen how hard you work for Ron Paul. I was the first to sign your petition and have seen your work on the big rally. Keep working hard and we'll see if we can do our part as much as possible!

FrankRep
09-29-2007, 01:45 AM
Bow down before the one you serve.. Yer gonna get what you deserve.

May be fine and dandy for you pal. It ain't the cure for the population. Control your self.

Randy

We do need some government and organization silly. We're not anarchists.

Razmear
09-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Semanary.
I think you've been doing some awesome work, and being originally from your area I usually check out your posts to see how things are going in the Boston area.
If you have any plans that you think would work well down in SC, you can email them to me at eb(at)2323.us and I'll pass them on to my meetup group (951).
I think a lot of us are getting a bit burnt out on the forums, and I don't check them nearly as much as I used to. Plus a lot of us are broke right now from donating.
I think when we get word of the Q3 results the inspiration will come again for the final push to February 5th.

eb

Karsten
09-29-2007, 02:20 AM
Where are all the activists? Well, let me tell you what I have participated in with all the meetups I've been with in SoCal. We invaded the Bill Maher Show back in May, we decorated all of our cars with Ron Paul stuff and had a caravan on the 4th of July, we have done many tablings and sign wavings -- including the entrance of the busy and popular L.A. county fair every day that it has been open this month!, 72 of us marched through L.A. last month 9 miles holding Ron Paul signs and chanting "Ron Paul Revolution", we held a huge rally at USC and greeting Ron Paul at the airport, and I have personally started a Ron Paul group at my school (Cal Poly Pomona) --which already has 24 members after just 1 week! I don't know what YOU have been doing, but maybe you ought to stop whining and GET OUT THERE!!! Because Ron Paul supporters have been doing A LOT!

Revolution9
09-29-2007, 02:27 AM

~You~ need such. I need nothing the Good Lord does not provide me with right between my two ears. And I danged sure want what I was guaranteed by my Creator that has been willfully stripped under threat of force by said government and organisation. I ain't no anarchist either. I look to nature and human interaction for my cues.. Your type are why I will not offer my services to anybody and keep my projects under wraps. Yer too effing nosy and control freakish.

Randy

logicprobe
09-29-2007, 04:47 AM
I want to see a national food drive in all 50 states and I can't get people to respond.

Have you considered the possibility that this is the marketplace at work?

Ozwest
09-29-2007, 04:59 AM
Have you considered the possibility that this is the marketplace at work?

It's early days. It's a brilliant idea. People will come around. A little persistence will pay off.

vertesc
09-29-2007, 05:04 AM
I feel frustrated, because of my schedule I've been unable to attend ANY of my meetup activities. I move around the country... I was in VA all summer, where my local meetup had a weekly pamphletting - on Friday evenings, when I work. (I'm an opera singer; I perform evenings and PARTICULARLY friday evenings). Then I was in Europe until September. I've been living in the middle of nowhere Kentucky for a week now with no transportation, and going crazy about all the activities I can't get to... and then I had a family crisis that took me to Canada for a week. Great help I am up here.

Next week RP is coming to speak in Cincinnati, 30 minutes drive from me. I would be there, but he's coming on the EXACT DAY I have to be in Chicago for a major audition. And then I'm going to small town California for a month.

Sorry for the rant, but it's driving me crazy. I have lots of campaign experience flyering etc, and I can't put it to any use!

DrNoZone
09-29-2007, 08:15 AM
My local Meetup just held a sign painting party for the Paint The Town Ron event. We had at least 15 people there, and more than a few were new to the whole thing. We managed to paint about 30 HUGE vinyl signs for this weekends event. So yeah, some groups are plenty active.

Sematary
09-29-2007, 08:22 AM
I personally got sick and fed up of all the decrees issued by control freaks over what to say, wear, think. write and pander to. I do only for what i am involved in now.

What am I involved in..I am putting on an all day Fall Freedom Harvest Festival in Atlanta on October the 13th. It will have seven pro-Paul bands, 12 comedians, animprov comedy troupe doing a half hour Presidential deabte spoof, fire spinners and sword dancers as well as potboiler speeches.
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/294/calendar/6381634/
http://files.meetup.com/525251/FreedomFest_Oct13_L5P_72dpi.jpg

I go to the rallies every Saturday at Freedom Park and our group was specifically mentioned on Air America, a left wing gatekeeper of all places....and they said they had a Revolutionary War soldier there.. That's me.. Anita says to stop this attention getting. So do alot of other repugs trying to control the dress, style and personal choices of appearance of RP supporters. Dockers and a polo shirt are a clown uniform on me. I would never ever get caught in such a getup. F#@$ all you control freaks. You are driving away those with initiative who can produce hundreds of new voters...if not thousands..with your myopic and skewed vision of what this campaign should be about and look like.. That wasn't neocons bumping that thermometer skyward.. And leave the truthers out of your pathetic rants and fearmongering as well.

Sematary. Excuse my using your post as a soapbox..but it was a good segue.

Randy

You won't see me complaining about people who do something.

Sematary
09-29-2007, 08:24 AM

All day yesterday and on into this thread you have been negative. It can't be done, or it's a waste of time, or whatever. Now you don't have to get your panties in a wad over it. I was asking a simple question. Why are you so negative? I haven't seen a positive post from you about the food drive. Not one. So don't yell at me because of your negativity.

Sematary
09-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Semanary.
I think you've been doing some awesome work, and being originally from your area I usually check out your posts to see how things are going in the Boston area.
If you have any plans that you think would work well down in SC, you can email them to me at eb(at)2323.us and I'll pass them on to my meetup group (951).
I think a lot of us are getting a bit burnt out on the forums, and I don't check them nearly as much as I used to. Plus a lot of us are broke right now from donating.
I think when we get word of the Q3 results the inspiration will come again for the final push to February 5th.

eb

Email sent. :-)

Sematary
09-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Where are all the activists? Well, let me tell you what I have participated in with all the meetups I've been with in SoCal. We invaded the Bill Maher Show back in May, we decorated all of our cars with Ron Paul stuff and had a caravan on the 4th of July, we have done many tablings and sign wavings -- including the entrance of the busy and popular L.A. county fair every day that it has been open this month!, 72 of us marched through L.A. last month 9 miles holding Ron Paul signs and chanting "Ron Paul Revolution", we held a huge rally at USC and greeting Ron Paul at the airport, and I have personally started a Ron Paul group at my school (Cal Poly Pomona) --which already has 24 members after just 1 week! I don't know what YOU have been doing, but maybe you ought to stop whining and GET OUT THERE!!! Because Ron Paul supporters have been doing A LOT!

Your service is laudible and appreciated and, like you, I have been getting out there. Don't take it personally. So, would you be interested in getting a food drive going in your community? That's what I'm looking to do on a nationwide scale. You can pm me if you are interested in that idea.

Sematary
09-29-2007, 08:33 AM
I feel frustrated, because of my schedule I've been unable to attend ANY of my meetup activities. I move around the country... I was in VA all summer, where my local meetup had a weekly pamphletting - on Friday evenings, when I work. (I'm an opera singer; I perform evenings and PARTICULARLY friday evenings). Then I was in Europe until September. I've been living in the middle of nowhere Kentucky for a week now with no transportation, and going crazy about all the activities I can't get to... and then I had a family crisis that took me to Canada for a week. Great help I am up here.

Next week RP is coming to speak in Cincinnati, 30 minutes drive from me. I would be there, but he's coming on the EXACT DAY I have to be in Chicago for a major audition. And then I'm going to small town California for a month.

Sorry for the rant, but it's driving me crazy. I have lots of campaign experience flyering etc, and I can't put it to any use!

I can empathize. I too work nights and am generally unable to attend meetup group meetings. But I DO keep active. In my own free time I distribute literature (lots of it) and I keep in contact with various groups in my general region and set up events (like the flier thing at Ozzfest and Fenway) that we can schedule where I can be there. You don't need to physically show up at a meetup meeting to be active, or effective. :)

Sematary
09-29-2007, 08:34 AM
My local Meetup just held a sign painting party for the Paint The Town Ron event. We had at least 15 people there, and more than a few were new to the whole thing. We managed to paint about 30 HUGE vinyl signs for this weekends event. So yeah, some groups are plenty active.

I know, but alot more aren't.

speciallyblend
09-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Revolution 9, you have to remember they are republicans,some in the party are just like the useless democrats.These people dont understand we didnt join the republican party for republicans,we joined for RON PAUL ONLY.

speciallyblend
09-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Semetary my problem in Colorado,is most dont want to hear or lift a finger for the word Republican. I hope the HQ will hopefully change this perception soon,if not ,Ron Pauls message is the easy selll,but the minute you mention the word republican around here,you get the cold shoulder,sigh.This campaign is basically against 2 useless parties who are one in the same. RON PAUL 2008

Sematary
09-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Semetary my problem in Colorado,is most dont want to hear or lift a finger for the word Republican. I hope the HQ will hopefully change this perception soon,if not ,Ron Pauls message is the easy selll,but the minute you mention the word republican around here,you get the cold shoulder,sigh.This campaign is basically against 2 useless parties who are one in the same. RON PAUL 2008

People will be receptive to helping out their neighbors. I think this will be a great event. Can you help to get your meetup involved in a local food drive that is part of a larger, national effort to not only get food for the needy but to spread Ron Paul's message that we don't need the government to help our communities but that we need our communities to help our communities?

dircha
09-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Look, everyone, it's not hard to see what is going on here. Take a look at the links in his signature. This guy, like everyone else out to control us, mistakenly believes that he knows best what every volunteer should make his or her top priority, and just like all the others, he is upset because we are not working according to his plan, and not coordinating our activities through him.

I'll tell you what. This campaign doesn't need more leaders. You said it yourself. It needs more active volunteers. The very best thing you can do to help the campaign is to get involved with a meetup in your state. If you do not have a meetup in your state, then start one. If you have what you think is a good idea for an event, bring it up with the leader of your meetup, and take it upon yourself to find people in your meetup or other friends and get out there and do the activity yourself in your own area.

Rather than worrying about whether volunteers in other areas are doing what you are telling them to do, put your ideas and plans for events into action in your own area. Then when you have done this, go to your meetup and come to these forums and show pictures and give accounts of what you have done and what a success it was.

Rather than telling people what they should do, lead by example by showing them what they can do and inspiring them by your success in your own area!

jblosser
09-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Most of the meetup organizers around here get hit with some mass mail about some "major priority national project" at least two or three times a week. I try to look at them all when I have time but I haven't really seen much worth diverting our regular local activities. I'm sure I've missed some, the noise level is quite high.

dircha
09-29-2007, 10:00 AM

Well, actually many of us, including Paul himself, have very much in common with anarchists - anarcho-capitalists.

We should not follow self-proclaimed leaders who have not proven themselves in action. We should not follow armchair dictators (or keyboard dictators, as the case may be).

We should follow people who lead by example. We should follow market leaders, market leading ideas, innovative ideas that are successful, repeatable, and have been proven at the local level.

Don't tell us what we should do. Show us what we can do by doing it yourself.