PDA

View Full Version : German WWII POWs in American custody

Pod
09-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Recently I`ve encountered on a few places a mention of German WWII POWs in American custody in the context of them being intentionaly starved on orders from Eisenhower and hundreds of thousands of them dying as a result of it.

Does anybody know more about this issue of how were Germans treated in American prisons? And is this story of needless death among them bogus conspiracy theory or is there something to it?

It sounds a somewhat looney proposition Eisenhower being of German ancestry himself, but I`d rather explore this further and be certain.

max
09-05-2009, 02:45 PM
it's no "conspiracy theory"..

Ike was a pro-Soviet sociopath who killed at least 1 million POWs...

search for "Other Losses"..

He also forced Russian troops who had surrendered to Germany to go back to Russia. Stalin had issueda death warrant against all Russian POWs yet Ike forced them back at bayoneet point...

google: Operation Keelhaul

revolutionisnow
09-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Eisenhower's DeathCamps, September 1989, Saturday Night
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13736816/Eisenhowers-DeathCamps-September-1989-Saturday-Night

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Not familiar with this, though I had heard the US and Britain kept German POWs well into the late 1940s before releasing them. Nothing compared to the USSR, though, which kept countless Germans and Eastern European combatants as slave laborers into the 1950s.

Pod
09-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Not familiar with this, though I had heard the US and Britain kept German POWs well into the late 1940s before releasing them. Nothing compared to the USSR, though, which kept countless Germans and Eastern European combatants as slave laborers into the 1950s.

"Countless"? Actually the Soviet Union released mayority of POWs by 1949. I`d say they got off easy considering the devastation they brought upon that country and its population.

manny229
09-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I know German POW's were treated badly in Europe by their American captors, but this was at the end of the war when there were too many surrendering that the camps became overcrowded, many died by sinking into the mud and filth.
I agree with Max that many Soviets captured by the Germans were repatriated to the USSR. Also many Germans who fought on the Eastern Front but later surrendered to the US forces were sent back to Russia, under an agreement with the USSR. (They needed the prisoner labor). I believe Eisenhower was responsible for this. He was also responsible for not capturing Berlin, leaving it to the Russians. Instead we went into the Ruhr Pocket an industrial area, perhaps it was a good decision? That’s were they found the V-2’s The first ballistic missile, and the V-1’s the first cruise missiles. That’s what I know on the subject please anyone correct me if I’m wrong.:)
As for Germans in the US, most were treated very well, in fact there were some instances of they being treated better than black US soldiers.
Here is a book written by a former German POW who spent time in the USA. He is mostly positive about his experience here. He even hoped to return to the US after the war.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/A-German-Odyssey/Helmut-Horner/e/9781555910778

Objectivist
09-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Recently I`ve encountered on a few places a mention of German WWII POWs in American custody in the context of them being intentionaly starved on orders from Eisenhower and hundreds of thousands of them dying as a result of it.

Does anybody know more about this issue of how were Germans treated in American prisons? And is this story of needless death among them bogus conspiracy theory or is there something to it?

It sounds a somewhat looney proposition Eisenhower being of German ancestry himself, but I`d rather explore this further and be certain.

YOu'd be talking about soldiers I assume. You also know that US Citizens of German heritage were also rounded up and interned.