PDA

View Full Version : Texas GOP head wants to separate Ron Paul Republicans from the "crazies"

bobbyw24
09-05-2009, 10:56 AM
http://startelegram.typepad.com/politex/2009/09/state-gop-head-wants-to-separate-ron-paul-republicans-from-the-crazies.html

State GOP head wants to separate Ron Paul Republicans from the "crazies"

The executive director of the Texas Republican Party was in downtown Fort Worth Thursday delivering a speech to a Republican group about the party's strategy heading into the 2010 election cycle.

Eric Opiela told the Republican Forum that the party needs to do more to appeal to Hispanics and young people as well as work at bringing Libertarian voters back to the party. He noted several races in which a Democrat won with a margin smaller than the number of Libertarian votes, including Wendy Davis' recent win over Kim Brimer in last year's Fort Worth State Senate race.

After the presentation, Jim Truitt, former Richland Hills mayor and husband of state Rep. Vicki Truitt of Keller, expressed concern about how Libertarian candidates are affecting the GOP.

"Ron Paul is our biggest obstacle," said Truitt, who is also a candidate for Tarrant County District Clerk. He added that Paul, a Libertarian leaning Houston Congressman, should do more to draw his passionate group of supporters back into the GOP, instead of encouraging them to continue acting as spoilers in so many races.

Opiela said he's talked to Paul about his followers.

"Ron Paul is not the problem," Opiela said. "Paul has true GOP supporters. Then there are the other guys."

Opiela said the "other guys" are using Paul's message and popularity to prop up a movement that Paul doesn't support.

"We have to distill the crazies and...[reclaim] Ron Paul from the true Libertarian Republicans who want to work within the Republican Party system," Opiela said.

-Aman Batheja

Posted at 10:25 AM in Texas politics and government, U.S. politics and government | Permalink
TrackBack

Kotin
09-05-2009, 11:11 AM
they can all go fuck themselves..

Epic
09-05-2009, 11:11 AM
"Opiela said the "other guys" are using Paul's message and popularity to prop up a movement that Paul doesn't support."

What is this movement?

Sandra
09-05-2009, 12:25 PM
"Opiela said the "other guys" are using Paul's message and popularity to prop up a movement that Paul doesn't support."

What is this movement?

There is a staunch pro war movement that latches on to Dr Paul's domestic policy ideals but throws his foreign policy ideals out the window by simply not discussing it. I wonder if that's what's going on.

Also Opielia should be told that Houston is not in Ron Paul's district.

PaulaGem
09-05-2009, 12:26 PM

What is this movement?

Aren't the "other guys" also some of the Republicans who don't get the message and keep alienating voters?

speciallyblend
09-05-2009, 12:33 PM
the only thing holding the gop back is the gop!!! kinda funny seeing the neo-cons trying to blame the ron paul republicans for the GOP's Failure's , the last time i looked we ron paul republicans were pretty much shut out of the whole primary process by gop actions!! the gop elected mccain not us!!!! the problem still remains in the gop leadership!!!

0zzy
09-05-2009, 12:43 PM

So you don't mind people going to Ron Paul related rallies preaching about 9/11 truth? You don't think they are riding the popularity to promote a separate message that was not apart of this one?

surely she speaks of that.
surely.

specsaregood
09-05-2009, 12:48 PM
So you don't mind people going to Ron Paul related rallies preaching about 9/11 truth? You don't think they are riding the popularity to promote a separate message that was not apart of this one?

surely.

Incidents of that are extremely low from what I have seen. Rather I would suspect that she lumps both 9/11 truth preachers into the same "crazy" category as the anti-war folk and probably lumps the anti-income tax and anti-federal reserve people into that same group.

evilfunnystuff
09-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Texas GOP head wants to divide and conquer

fixed it

dont fall for the gops bullshit

Kotin
09-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Incidents of that are extremely low from what I have seen. Rather I would suspect that she lumps both 9/11 truth preachers into the same "crazy" category as the anti-war folk and probably lumps the anti-income tax and anti-federal reserve people into that same group.

this.

StudentForPaul08
09-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't think we should worry about how the GOP wants to divide us or whatever they try and do. As long as we stay true to our principles we will make an impact. If they think we have a good domestic policy but bad foreign policy, well that is their loss. We will preach about both.

gls
09-05-2009, 12:59 PM
It sounds like "the other guys" are big L Libertarians, who apparently are spoiling races for the establishment GOP candidates. For some reason they believe that despite their big government agenda, they're entitled to Libertarian votes.

Athan
09-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Lol... gop being stupid. Nothing new to see here.

The gop shut ALL of us out of their tent. Ron Paul Republicans, libertarians, Constitutional conservatives, third party supporters, independents, fiscal conservatives, anti-war conservatives, and anything not Neo-con and quiet follow the party liners. Now they are simply double backing and realizing the rest of us aren't playing their games anymore and are organizing ourselves without them.

We need to keep playing spoilers because they will ignore us and pull the same shit as they are doing with Rand vs. Trey.

ItsTime
09-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Yup its Ron Pauls fault that the GOP has alienated so many of us.

PatriotOne
09-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Texas GOP head wants to separate Ron Paul Republicans from the "crazies"

Since less than 1/2 of the WORLD thinks Al Qaeda was behind 9/11, I suggest the GOP start romancing the "crazy" people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_opinion_polls

And yes, the crazy truthers are going to hold the GOP hostage until they start kissing their asses.

angelatc
09-05-2009, 02:52 PM

surely.

And the Stormfront-type agendas? Maybe that's something?

"We have to distill the crazies and...[reclaim] Ron Paul from the true Libertarian Republicans who want to work within the Republican Party system," Opiela said.

There is nothing untrue about that statement from his perspective. This topic has come up on the boards hundreds of times. Half of us want to work to take back to GOP and half of us want to run away from the GOP. Why should he pander to people who have no interest in working with him?

angelatc
09-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Since less than 1/2 of the WORLD thinks Al Qaeda was behind 9/11, I suggest the GOP start romancing the "crazy" people.

And yes, the crazy truthers are going to hold the GOP hostage until they start kissing their asses.

You're proving his point.

PatriotOne
09-05-2009, 03:01 PM
No. I'm proving the point that the so-called "crazies" are the base now and the politicians better start listening to them. Whoever exposes and prosecutes for 9/11 will win the next election. Many less researched truthers voted for Obama because they thought it was a Bush Admin thing. They are now very disappointed that Obama has proven himself a traitor also by not doing anything about it. The swing vote is going to the person who exposes 9/11.

Objectivist
09-05-2009, 03:11 PM

Yep!

Objectivist
09-05-2009, 03:15 PM
It is for a politician to earn the votes not the other way around. I haven't seen the Republican party hold to any set of platform ideals in many years.

Flash
09-05-2009, 03:18 PM
And the Stormfront-type agendas? Maybe that's something?

Stormfront is a relatively obscure messageboard, with 99% of it's members located outside of Texas. Besides, they don't even like Ron Paul anymore. I doubt the article is talking about them.

Gaius1981
09-05-2009, 04:00 PM
I support Eric Opiela on this one. Ron Paul should strongly distance himself from the anarchists and 9/11 conspiracy theorists—they do nothing but discredit him.

Dreamofunity
09-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Whoever exposes and prosecutes for 9/11 will win the next election. The swing vote is going to the person who exposes 9/11.

Do you honestly believe that?

Imperial
09-05-2009, 04:31 PM
I will be voting Libertarian in Texas until I see candidates who are worth voting for that are Republican. Although there are a pretty good number of Republicans I plan to vote for too, and at least one Dem.

In Texas Democratic disorganization and the regime of Wes Benedict over the LP-Texas got the Libertarians ballot-access in one of the worst states for third parties outside of president. In fact, the Libertarians are partly the reason why Craddick was overthrown from his dictatorship of the Texas House. But on the negative side, some things have gotten through that may not have if Joe Straus wasn't on top.

jm1776
09-05-2009, 04:42 PM
"Ron Paul is not the problem," Opiela said. "Paul has true GOP supporters. Then there are the other guys."

I find that to be an astonishing statement. During the primaries we were all "other guys".

Then we start pointing fingers trying to figure out which "other guys" he is referring to now. Ha! ha! Too funny...

MsDoodahs
09-05-2009, 04:54 PM
But on the negative side, some things have gotten through that may not have if Joe Straus wasn't on top.

Is he the speaker? If so, I met him the other night.

angelatc
09-05-2009, 06:26 PM

Obviously you made such an impression that he has decided to court the Ron Paul voter. :) What did you think of him?

angelatc
09-05-2009, 06:27 PM
I find that to be an astonishing statement. During the primaries we were all "other guys".

Then we start pointing fingers trying to figure out which "other guys" he is referring to now. Ha! ha! Too funny...

Politics is about looking forward, not back. Why is it that every time somebody makes an inroad, half the people here view it as a net loss?

We need to not be isolationists.

jm1776
09-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Politics is about looking forward, not back. Why is it that every time somebody makes an inroad, half the people here view it as a net loss?

We need to not be isolationists.

That is precisely my point. We get an upgrade and start finger pointing. There is humor there somewhere.

Anti Federalist
09-05-2009, 06:57 PM

Yeah, that.

I'm tired of going over this old ground over and over.

Imperial
09-05-2009, 08:20 PM

Yes he is.

PatriotOne
09-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Do you honestly believe that?

What part of "less than 1/2 of the world" doesn't believe Al Qaeda had anything to do with 9/11 do you not understand?

robmpreston
09-06-2009, 08:51 AM
What part of "less than 1/2 of the world" doesn't believe Al Qaeda had anything to do with 9/11 do you not understand?

Last I checked, US elections are held within the US. The world's opinion doesn't matter on this issue. Just a reality check for you.

Stary Hickory
09-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Maybe the GOP could find and read a copy of the US Constitution. Then maybe they would quit hemmoraging supporters. The conservatives in the GOP changed not their voter base.

anaconda
09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
"Ron Paul is our biggest obstacle," said Truitt

Screw this miserable son of a bitch. How dare he refer to Ron Paul as an "obstacle." The lame ass corrupt GOP is the only "obstacle." They can get on board with us "crazies" or go down in flames in future elections. All we "crazies" want is a Constitutional government. We WILL NOT join their corrupt neo fascist police state utopia.

tpreitzel
09-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I laugh at his sentiment. Well, liberty does bring out the "crazies", too. ;)

akforme
09-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I have nothing wrong with people questioning government. I'd rather have the crazies who don't trust government than the crazies that want more. I think Alex Jones takes it a bit far, but he does make more good points than the pro government nuts.

But as for 9/11 who here doesn't think there was a cover up is to hide our past foreign policies that led to it? That belief, like it or not, is a conspiracy theory in the MSM world.. Hell according the main stream our hatred for the Fed is because of "conspiracy theories".

randolphfuller
09-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Most Ron Paul voters are devoted to the man and his firm stand on principle. The Texas GOP cares nothing for principle but seeks only to hold office. Let's separate the Texas GOP from the freedom movement. A good start wpuld be electing Dr. Paul to the Hutchison Senate vacancy in May 2010 special election. If Dr. Paul declines to run, itis urgest that another freedom movement candidate be found quickly,

Imperial
09-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I can say one thing about Ron Paul down here in Texas. He has gotten noticed down here.

A few years ago, I never even heard his name. Then last year, I began to notice a few people who enthusiastically liked Ron Paul for various reasons.

Heck, even yesterday I met someone who was an immigrant here who started talking about how he liked Ventura and Ron Paul.

There are some who are dead against Dr. Paul's efforts, I know that, but all in all his influence has gotten large. BTW, I've noticed that younger people of lots of political leanings would vote for Ron Paul, even though they aren't necessarily on our side. It surprisingly isn't a myth!

PatriotOne
09-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Last I checked, US elections are held within the US. The world's opinion doesn't matter on this issue. Just a reality check for you.

Reality check for you: The polls in the U.S. are very consistent with world opinion.

johnrocks
09-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Probably referring to the truthers,imho.

james1906
09-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Yes, there are crazies in the Texas GOP that run me away from the party...

Rick Perry
Kay Bailey Hutchinson
John Cornyn
Tom Delay
Those three nobodies running against RP who will probably get official endorsements
Shelly Sekula Gibbs
etc

Matt Collins
09-07-2009, 08:55 PM
He noted several races in which a Democrat won with a margin smaller than the number of Libertarian votes, including Wendy Davis' recent win over Kim Brimer in last year's Fort Worth State Senate race.
North Carolina went to Obama. The difference between Obama and McCain was smaller than the LP vote.

Paul, a Libertarian leaning Houston Congressman, should do more to draw his passionate group of supporters back into the GOP, instead of encouraging them to continue acting as spoilers in so many races.When the GOP gets out of line and disenfranchises REAL conservatives is it any wonder they go elsewhere? :rolleyes:

What an idiotic logic that guy has.

Dreamofunity
09-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Where should I go if I don't want to be around typical republican hacks or crazies?

speciallyblend
09-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Yes, there are crazies in the Texas GOP that run me away from the party...

Rick Perry
Kay Bailey Hutchinson
John Cornyn
Tom Delay
Those three nobodies running against RP who will probably get official endorsements
Shelly Sekula Gibbs
etc

...do not forget all the other states as well. when i joined the republican party . i pretty much joined knowing the republican party is crazy!!

acptulsa
09-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Screw this miserable son of a bitch. How dare he refer to Ron Paul as an "obstacle." The lame ass corrupt GOP is the only "obstacle." They can get on board with us "crazies" or go down in flames in future elections. All we "crazies" want is a Constitutional government. We WILL NOT join their corrupt neo fascist police state utopia.

Translation: His doublespeak is doubleplus ungood.

Yeah, we're a terrible obstacle to imperialism as usual. And worse still, we're proud of it. So, here we have someone who seems to think Ron Paul is an old imperialist himself. He doesn't seem to be paying attention to anything but anything but his little horse race elections. And he doesn't seem to care about anything but anything but his W and L columns.

Principle has always won elections for the G.O.P. What they don't understand is that the game has changed--Republicans are sick to death of lip service to principle and are just about ready to elect someone who sticks to the principles for real. That's the big change they can't adapt to.

Badger Paul
09-08-2009, 07:59 AM

Did it ever occur to these establishment types that if you gave people a reason or a meaning to support the party then they wouldn't have to worry about splinter votes to the LP?

Complaining about 9-11 truthers is hilarious. You can't tell me every LP voter is a Truther.

Nor do they have a leg to stand on either when it comes to "crazies". How many Republicans out there are "Birthers?" Hmmmm?

MelissaCato
09-08-2009, 09:48 AM

What is this movement?

Prolly the original intent for the 2nd Amendment. LMAO

:cool:

Liberty Jihad
09-08-2009, 09:53 AM
If he means separating true, legitimate libertarian republicans from the nutty 911 Truthers, then I support him.

Slutter McGee
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I have nothing wrong with people questioning government. I'd rather have the crazies who don't trust government than the crazies that want more. I think Alex Jones takes it a bit far, but he does make more good points than the pro government nuts.

Best post here so far. Truthers simply need to learn how to turn their distrust of government into a positive rather than a negative. Don't use the word coverup and don't talk about 911 inside job stuff when you are doing something affiliated with the Liberty movement. When you are on your own, have at it.

What is so ridiculous about the OP is that the GOP is clueless when it really is quite simple. They don't have to change their views to allign with Libertarians in order to gain Libertarian votes, especially at the Federal Level. All they have to do is push a platform of states rights, and then actually stand by it.

Slutter McGee

georgiaboy
09-08-2009, 11:23 AM
If I want to eliminate the Department of Education, the IRS, the income tax, the Federal Reserve, go to a gold standard, end SS, Medicaire, Medicaid, the global military presence, HHS, FHA, Interior, Commerce, NASA, etc.,

does that make me a crazy, a RP Republican, someone the GOP wants to court as a member and voter, or what?