PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Flake

itshappening
09-05-2009, 10:31 AM
he has been a congressman since 2001, what do people here make of him?

he voted for Iraq war and patriot act but has changed his position. i guess we'll never find someone perfect but he has taken a 'better than most' approach on almost everything else.

He is part of the Liberty caucus so is hopefully being educated by Ron paul and he is just 46 years old. what does he think of Ron Paul and the Campaign for Liberty? I wonder if we should reach out to him as a possible asset

OR do you think if the Republicans take power he will become unprincipled again??

-
Flake supports creating a temporary worker program for border security, leading some anti-illegal immigration conservative activists to give Flake the Republican In Name Only label.[9] However, others consider him one of the most consistently conservative members of the House and strongly support him. He is a signer of the Taxpayer Protection Pledge[10] and one of eight House members to receive a 100% approval rating from the American Conservative Union.[9]

Flake voted against No Child Left Behind, Sarbanes-Oxley, Medicare Part D, Homeland Security Act[3], and the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act. He sponsored bills to increase legal immigration and establish a guest worker program.

Flake initially supported the Patriot Act and the Iraq War, but more recently has changed his position to one of cautious opposition, including voting against appropriations for both. He also supports ending the Cuba Trade Embargo and has been an insistent reformer in the U.S. House of Representatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Flake

erowe1
09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
he voted for Iraq war and patriot act but has changed his position.

How has he changed his position?

I think overall when the topic has come up here before people have thought Flake was one of the least bad reps. Aside from the Iraq War and PA, he also supports NAFTA and other similar treaties. He also seems to think that earmarks are a really big deal, which I often take as a big red flag that shows someone is a fake conservative who wants to look fiscally conservative, while merely streamlining government so that the piddly little irrelevant waste projects don't slow down any of the major programs (McCain is a good example of this). But in Flake's case, I think his focus on earmarks is a part of a genuine concern for shrinking government that happens to be slightly misdirected.

RevolutionSD
09-05-2009, 11:37 AM
He's pro-war. He wants to steal money from you to support the military-industrial complex. Nothing to see here.