PDA

View Full Version : Justin Raimondo is awesome (must read article)

Flirple
09-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Everyone in the liberty movement including (especially) my personal heroes Ron Paul, the Judge, Lew Rockwell etc. needs to follow Justin Raimondo's lead and treat the fringe elements of the freedom movement directly like Justin (editor of Antiwar.com) always has, and does in this great article about the knuckleheads flaunting guns and riffles at protests...

When one William Kostric walked into a protest outside a town hall meeting in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, at which the President of the United States was present, carrying a loaded gun—“Of course it was loaded,” he told Chris Matthews later, “what kind of fool would carry around an unloaded gun?”—he and the movement he purports to represent walked straight into a well-laid trap.

Let’s put this in context. For weeks, the mainstream media had been going on about the rising danger of “right-wing extremism,” and the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), a well-known smear outfit that specializes in trying to marginalize legitimate expressions of dissent from liberal orthodoxy, had issued a “report” on the alleged revival of the so-called militia movement. For weeks the liberal media—notably MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow—had been hammering away at the alleged threat posed to the president by an alleged upsurge in “racist” and extremist violence, pointing to the attack on the Holocaust Museum by a deranged “white nationalist,” and the killing of an abortion doctor by an equally deranged nutjob. The “radical right,” they screamed, is on the march, with the strong implication that these dangerous militants won’t be happy until Obama is six feet under.

Given these circumstances, one has to wonder about the motives for Kostric’s action. This, after all, was a town-hall meeting called to discuss healthcare, not gun control. It seems, at best, a non sequitur, and, at worst . . . (http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/index.php/2009/09/03/guns-and-roses/)

It's worth reading the whole article (http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/index.php/2009/09/03/guns-and-roses/). He nails it.

specsaregood
09-05-2009, 01:52 AM
How does wearing a sidearm legally equal "flaunting".? If you don't excercise your rights you will lose them. Why would I worry about MSNBC's view of such behavior? They claimed it was a racist white guy in AZ with the gun and it wasn't. Pure propaganda.

You might find this thread from earlier discussing the article informative:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=208736

revolutionary8
09-05-2009, 02:11 AM
This was already posted, but with a much different "bias" :D

You snooze you looze. :D

on a personal note, I like Justin A LOT, but I disagree w/ him on this.
I still like him and respect him, and will contine to read his work. He is extremely talented.
Unfortunately, tonight, I had to inform a Stanford graduate that carrying an UNconcealed firearm was not against the law.
It was pretty shocking for the both of us. I'm glad they are my friend, it coulda gotten ugly.

(the ephiphany came when I asked why they weren't arrested)

Flirple
09-05-2009, 02:43 AM
Yeah sorry I didn't see the other thread, I looked a bit but this forum has gotten so big!

specsaregood, It was "flaunting" in NH because of the sign he was holding and the timing of it. It was distinctly different than just a NH guy open carrying. I'm sure that happened (open carry with no such sign) a few times at Ron Paul rallies during the campaign season which is totally cool and appropriate.

And in Arizona it was "flaunting" because nobody in Arizona walks around in groups of 12 with military rifles slung over their shoulder for self defense. That stunt was a display of intimidation and if nothing else was a cheap tactic to use amongst the fellow citizens in the crowd (for OR against Obama).

revolutionary8, yeah it's amazing how many people are shocked to hear that in many states it is legal to conceal and in other states open carry. And they think you are lying when you explain to them that the statistics are the exact opposite of what they would think (fear).

Flash
09-05-2009, 03:07 AM
This article is nonsense. For one no one is discussing Kostric anymore. Also, it IS perfectly legal. What's Ron Paul going to say?

Ron Paul: " I don't support that, don't do it."
Person: "No, it's legal. You're not a king."

Try to make Ron Paul, Judge, or Rockwell denounce something all they want, it won't work. May be they have influence over you guys, but they are just vessels of Liberty to me and their personal views on Morality & Religion are not my concern. I didn't know this was a cult.

Guess what, the ADL, SPLC, MSNBC, etc.. will ALWAYS demonize us. MSNBC appeals to a certain audience and plays into this audience for ratings, no Conservative takes them seriously. If anything, Ron Paul fans like Kostric will give Libertarians respect amongst the Republicans. Isn't that the target group we're trying to appeal towards? Hence the whole "Take back the GOP" thing? I could've sworn our goal was to promote the Goldwater Wing of the Republican Party amongst fellow Conservatives, not appease every Progressive you can.

It is disingenuous, to say the very least, for Kostric to claim that he was dramatizing the importance of gun rights, because that wasn’t the subject at hand

And yet, our enemy does the same to us. They will bring in the race card when it isn't the subject at hand. They will bring up personal insults when it isn't the subject at hand. They will bring up the Iraq war when it isn't the subject at hand. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=barny+frank&btnG=Google+Search) I don't see the point in this article, Kostric gave the FSP & Liberty movement attention.

Why would I worry about MSNBC's view of such behavior?

No Conservative or Republican does. Which is why this arguement makes no sense. MSNBC plays to a certain amount of the American population that worships Obama and Progressive ideology, they will NEVER be friends of liberty.