PDA

View Full Version : The very best medical care is an unalienable American natural human birthright

Mahkato
09-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Good grief. A recent letter to the editor (http://www.mankatofreepress.com/letters/local_story_247103417.html) in a paper I read.

As a progressive liberal, I believe health care to be an unalienable American right. All United States citizens are endowed with this natural human birthright. Our republic was founded upon the principle of equal justice and equal opportunity. Justice demands that our federal government fulfill this fundamental obligation and ensure that every American citizen has the opportunity to receive the very best medical care available.

All Americans, from a newly-born child to an aging baby boomer, deserve equal opportunity to live and enjoy safe, meaningful and healthy lives. Working together, with unselfish hearts and open minds, we can guarantee that the life and health of every member of our community be equally respected, equally valued and equally protected.

In our democracy, the federal government has a historic responsibility to care for the welfare of all of its citizens, regardless of their wealth or income, race or ethnicity, religion or nationality, gender or sexual orientation, ability or disability.

In 1776, the Declaration of Independence founded our nation on the right to live a purposeful life. In 1789, the Constitution committed our government to care for the common welfare of all citizens. In 1865, Abraham Lincoln’s second inaugural address called for malice toward none and charity for all of our fellow citizens.

Today, the time has come for all true American patriots to come together to establish universal health care. It is our moral responsibility and our sacred duty to build upon the legacy of our founding brothers to forge a more perfect and a more healthy national union.
So sad.

I'm working on a reply letter to the editor, and this is what I have so far. I have plenty more to say, but there's a 275 word limit and this is 275 words already.

In his September 4 letter, J. Scott Urban attempted to connect government-provided health care to natural rights and our nation’s founding documents. His letter was littered with noble-sounding words and emotional appeals, but wholly inaccurate.

Health care is unequivocally not a right. It’s especially not an American right, as Urban stated several times. Are those living in other countries somehow less worthy? Life, liberty, and property are rights; health care is a responsibility. Don’t confuse the two.

Health care is a mix of goods and services provided by workers in the health care industry, just as, for example, groceries and cars are provided by workers in other industries. I do not have a right to health services any more than I have a right to a shopping cart full of food or a new car. If I need a dozen eggs or an MRI, it is my responsibility to pay for them. If you need a dozen eggs or an MRI, please don’t use the government to forcibly and anonymously extract money from me to pay for what you’ve received. Government “charity” is not charity at all, and it has destroyed real charity and created a permanent class of dependents.

Urban appealed to the Constitution’s ‘general welfare’ clause to legitimize government provision of health services. This clause is commonly abused as an excuse for government to do literally anything it wants, since someone always benefits whenever the government hands out other people’s money. The term ‘general welfare’ does not refer to doing nice things for individuals, but for the whole Union. Politicians, and the Supreme Court justices they have appointed, have completely reversed its meaning.I'd appreciate your feedback. It doesn't have a strong ending, and I'm sure there are things I could say better. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

dr. hfn
09-04-2009, 07:45 PM
you might want to point out that our rights in the constitution are god given, negative liberties and the constitution does not give us rights but prevents the govt from infringing on them. it is a charter of negative liberties. health care is a service and requires others to provide it for you, it is a positive liberty and obligates others to provide for you.

You can maybe send it in longer than 275 and ask them if they'll publish it longer, if not give them a second shorter option.

apropos
09-04-2009, 07:49 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203517304574306170677645070.html

Might be a good article to compare notes with.

Mahkato
09-04-2009, 07:49 PM
it is a charter of negative liberties.

Oooo, very good point. I'll have to work that in somehow.

Mahkato
09-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Anything I should cut out? I'm wondering how many of the readers will figure out that I'm calling out the entire welfare state as thievery.

Mahkato
09-04-2009, 11:44 PM
In his September 4 letter, Mr. Urban attempted to connect government-provided health care to natural rights and our nation’s founding documents. His letter was littered with noble-sounding words and emotional appeals, but wholly inaccurate.

Health care is unequivocally not a right. It’s especially not an American right, as Urban stated several times. Are those living in other countries somehow less worthy? Life, liberty, and property are rights; health care is a responsibility. Don’t confuse the two.

Unlike rights, health care (and other goods and services) must be provided by someone. I have no more right to free health services than I would to a free shopping cart full of groceries.

Whether I need a dozen eggs or an MRI, it is my responsibility to pay for them. If you need eggs or an MRI, please don’t use the government to forcibly and anonymously extract money from me to pay for what you’ve received. Government “charity” is not charity at all, and it has destroyed real charity and created a permanent class of dependents.

Urban appealed to the Constitution’s ‘general welfare’ clause to legitimize federal provision of health services. This clause is a common excuse for government to do nearly anything it wants, as someone always benefits whenever the government hands out other people’s money. ‘General welfare’ is not doing nice things for individuals, but for the good of the Union as a whole.

The Constitution does not and cannot grant fundamental rights, nor can any document or proclamation—it instead prohibits our government from interfering with the rights that all people already have. It is this that made America unique and allowed liberty to flourish.