PDA

View Full Version : Florida Tax Increases = People GTFO Florida

clb09
09-03-2009, 06:31 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090903/us_time/08599191991600

Residents were further outraged last week when the Miami Herald reported that Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez, one of the few Miami politicians with a reputation for probity, had raised the salaries of his chief of staff and other top lieutenants this year as high as 15% while calling for a 5% pay cut for county workers. Alvarez spokesperson Victoria Mallette says the raises resulted from a 2007 referendum that gave Miami-Dade's mayor, until then a relatively weak post, broad new powers that in turn thrust heavier duties on his staff. She also notes that Alvarez actually cut his office's budget last year by almost 15% and that he helped build an $80 million reserve fund. Still, a Herald editorial called Alvarez's raises "irresponsible." Watchdogs like Valladares complain that Miami-Dade's bureaucracy, like so many local governments in this decade, got too bloated during the economic boom. The County Commission, for example, has a staff of more than 200 serving only 13 commissioners - and yet it still managed to screw up tasks like its oversight of Miami-Dade's scandal-plagued housing agency.

FSP-Rebel
09-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah, come up to NH where we boast the lowest taxes in mainland USA. and more gun freedoms.

carlangaslangas
09-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Yeah, come up to NH where we boast the lowest taxes in mainland USA. and more gun freedoms.

Too cold! Besides FL still has no income tax!

Dreamofunity
09-04-2009, 06:00 AM
They just raised the licensing fee by almost double on September 1st.

My 21st birthday was on the 3rd, and instead of paying the ridiculous price to get a new license (my license has been through the wash so many times you can't tell it's me) I just used my passport.

I want to GTFO, but I have prepaid college which only works for state schools. A few more years and I'm free to go.