PDA

View Full Version : You will die.

Brian4Liberty
09-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Has anyone run across the latest Obama Health Care propaganda? It's all over Facebook, where people post "No one should die because they cannot afford health care, and no one should go broke because they get sick."

Here's a response to that:

You will die. Nothing will change that. No amount of money or the finest health care will save you. Deal with it. Don't let the government/corporate/Wall St. medical monopoly play you for a fool.

MelissaWV
09-03-2009, 03:44 PM
People who believe in that particular ideal should fund their own semi-private, charity-driven health insurance. They pay and pay and pay and pay, and it's a donation, and then the poor can apply to be covered by that program.

Those that do not want to pay in don't have to, but it will count as a strike against them during the application process if they had "means" and did not donate originally. It doesn't bar them access, but it puts them towards the end of the line.

I would be fine with this, personally, and wouldn't pay in.

As it is, one doesn't generally "die" from lack of insurance. For life or death situations, like it or not, the emergency room does have guidelines to keep poor folks from dropping dead in the waiting room.

One does always die, though, from being born. Health insurance doesn't keep you from dying, but it softens the blow of incredibly expensive procedures and situations. It makes it possible for people to afford to live way longer than they were originally meant to.

Brian4Liberty
09-03-2009, 03:57 PM
One does always die, though, from being born. Health insurance doesn't keep you from dying, but it softens the blow of incredibly expensive procedures and situations. It makes it possible for people to afford to live way longer than they were originally meant to.

I'm not sure about how much longer people live because of expensive health care. I believe that good nutrition, moderate exercise (as opposed to hard labor), and modern sanitation make us live longer.

Medicine is great at cutting things off and sewing things on. Antibiotics and vaccinations were a modern miracle. Pain killing drugs are very effective and soften a lot of things.

I worked at one of the premier and most expensive drug companies. Success is measured by giving you a couple of more percent chance of surviving for an extra 3 months to 5 years. And the drugs have terrible side effects (especially cancer drugs). This is where a lot of the money is spent, and it can be seriously argued that it is completely counter-productive. It makes people suffer more at the end, and only buys a minimal amount of time. It may be good intentioned, but the reality is a huge bill that really didn't help, and probably made things worse.

Brian4Liberty
09-03-2009, 03:59 PM
People who believe in that particular ideal should fund their own semi-private, charity-driven health insurance. They pay and pay and pay and pay, and it's a donation, and then the poor can apply to be covered by that program.

Those that do not want to pay in don't have to, but it will count as a strike against them during the application process if they had "means" and did not donate originally. It doesn't bar them access, but it puts them towards the end of the line.

I would be fine with this, personally, and wouldn't pay in.

As it is, one doesn't generally "die" from lack of insurance. For life or death situations, like it or not, the emergency room does have guidelines to keep poor folks from dropping dead in the waiting room.

I am in complete agreement that charity is a great thing. And as you mentioned, everyone will get put back together in a real emergency.

MelissaWV
09-03-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure about how much longer people live because of expensive health care.

I don't think they live BETTER, necessarily, but there are a lot of people (especially children) who might have been "meant to die" rather early, and live far longer than they otherwise would have. Those cancer patients "live" for many years, though some of them do it in constant agony and pain. We're in agreement on the whole matter, though; just clarifying why I said what I said ^^

Brian4Liberty
09-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Hmmm...I wonder. It seems like a lot of the very curable diseases, (even cancers), are some of the least expensive to treat. The desperate, last ditch treatments (relatively hopeless) are some of the most expensive. Could it be that the cost of treatment is proportional to the desperation of the patient?

In Obama-care, the Death Panel can decide... :rolleyes: