PDA

View Full Version : Biometrics now in use at my doctor's office

devil21
09-03-2009, 02:05 PM
I went for a routine check-up at my local plan doctor's office today. Imagine my surprise when I went to present my DL, the assistant instead asked me to scan my palm on a palm reader. Of course my tin foil quickly went on and I asked why do I need to do that? "We're now working to create a palm print ID database....in case you ever come in unconscious, we'll know who you are." I immediately declined to use the scanner and presented my ID.

While I waited I was reading the pamphlet about it. Pretty much the same "We'll know who you are even if you can't (won't?) tell us or don't have ID. Isn't it great?!". It stated that the info would not be shared with 3rd party vendors or "agencies". But the caveat was that it will comply with the "Health Care Provider's privacy policy". How much you wanna bet the privacy policy allows for "disclosures as required by law"?

Anyway, just some anecdotal evidence. Sure, the system could be used to identify an unconscious person but then again, who goes to their local doctor's office unconscious? That's an emergency room type visit. Also, it sounds like a great way to be able to deny treatment to whoever the system says the person is. Political enemy? You go on the "No Treatment" list. Etc....the possibilities are endless. For now its voluntary but I bet that changes in the near future.

silverhawks
09-03-2009, 03:23 PM
"Exactly why are you injecting an RFID chip into my arm again?"

"So we can access all your medical information just in case you come in unconscious. It's for your own good, honest."

acerbity
09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
oh. i thought everyone was doing it =o

devil21
09-03-2009, 09:07 PM
oh. i thought everyone was doing it =o

What do you mean?:confused:

DamianTV
09-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Yeah, take the arm. If that arm is gonna have a chip in it, I'll just live without my arm, fuck you very much!