PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the Oct 4th Rolling Stone??

RevolutionSD
09-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but they had a little graph of who they liked and didn't like and Ron Paul was first on the list of who they liked!

TechnoGuyRob
09-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Link!?

angelatc
09-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Rolling Stone is hot.

Suddenly.

Everybody should pick one up at the 7-11 or wherever. If they figure out that Ron Paul sells magazines as well as Princess Diana, we'll have more cover stories than we can handle.

jcbraithwaite7
09-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I love Rolling Stone now.... and this from a conservative Republican ex neo-con.

Check out Matt Taibbi's articles. I got interviewed by him at a sign waving at a Mitt Romney event. He really is an amazing writer.... and a real rebel when it comes to political writing.

I wrote him an email to thank him for coming out to talk to us, kind of feel him out on how bad he was going to spin what I said and to ask him how a journalists sell out.

This is what he wrote back:

Hey JC--

Thanks for writing. It was nice to meet you all, too. The Paul people seem to be the nicest at most every event I go to these days, and the other day was no exception. I don't know how you folks stood out there in that heat for that long.

You don't need to worry about me twisting around anything... I'm a fan of Ron Paul. Not all of his politics, certainly, but I think he's honest, which is rare in Washington.

About journalists selling out; they don't do it consciously. They grow up in a newsroom environment where there's a certain mentality, and so they end up seeing the world through that viewpoint. In electoral politics, they're trained to cover it like sports, i.e. you try to guess who's going to win and why; and since they're used to the winners looking and talking a certain way, they have a hard time taking people like Paul seriously. Plus, you know, the press and the candidates spend so much time together, they feel basically like they're all on the same side, and there's some resentment if anyone else -- even the voters -- tries to decide who gets to win. They feel like that's their job, so...

foofighter20x
09-28-2007, 08:18 PM

Hey JC--

Thanks for writing. It was About journalists selling out; they don't do it consciously. They grow up in a newsroom environment where there's a certain mentality, and so they end up seeing the world through that viewpoint. In electoral politics, they're trained to cover it like sports, i.e. you try to guess who's going to win and why; and since they're used to the winners looking and talking a certain way, they have a hard time taking people like Paul seriously. Plus, you know, the press and the candidates spend so much time together, they feel basically like they're all on the same side, and there's some resentment if anyone else -- even the voters -- tries to decide who gets to win. They feel like that's their job, so...

That's kind of disturbing. :(

jcbraithwaite7
09-28-2007, 08:32 PM
This is the letter I wrote him to give you an idea of what he was replying to. Read his article Shoveling Coal for Satan

Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to come out in the heat and talk the Ron Paul group yesterday. (I'm the tall Ron Paul supporter who was there with my mom and brother) Out of curiosity I did some research of my own. Ok, so maybe I looked up some of your work to see how bad you were going to twist what I said into, "Mitt "Golden Boy" Romney was heckled by Ron Paul's wacko brigade consisting of a man in a wig, a guy with a bullhorn, a disenfranchised Neo-Con turned Aaron Russo/Alex Jones Fan Club Member and and her mute mother."

I have to say I was impressed by your writing. Truly impressed. I read Shoveling Coal for Satan and was blown away.

In college I wanted to be journalist but somewhere along the line I got burned out and bored with writing crappy fluff pieces with no wit or color. I dropped out of college, spent a few years dancing in a Goofy costume and working at the Disney Animation Studio writing newsletters for animators and planning wrap parties. I ended up getting a degree in business and took a job with Viacom/Showtime Networks. However, I never forgot what my professors preached to me about journalistic integrity, being unbiased, checking sources blah, blah, blah. I always wondered if it was a mistake to switch majors in college. Your article and the current state of the media has reconciled any regrets of being a journalist. (No offense to you or your profession.)

How can reporters warp the truth and sleep at night? Don't they feel like traitors to their very profession? Do they have memos and strategy meetings between publishers and writers to hand out agendas and marching orders rather than just story assignments? Does Ruppert Murdoch summon the flying monkey army of journalists and send them flying? Or is journalistic apathy just a reflection of the general apathy in our country?

How does a journalist sell out? Is it a quick introduction to the process like an orientation into a secret club or is it a slow grinding away of principles justified by rent being due and need for a byline? Is it similar to what Joe Scarbourough says about Congress, "You decide day one if you are an insider or an outsider."

I'm just curious how it works. I would like to imagine that if I would have become a journalist I would pull a "Jerry McGuire" and grab the goldfish and go try to do the right thing. I quit my corporate job with Showtime Networks/Viacom after battling breast cancer at the age of 32. I realized that cable television is crap and I just wasn't inspired anymore. Then again, it took a wake up call like cancer to make me realize I wasn't passionate about my career. Now I own a breakfast/lunch diner. I traded presentations and power suits for pancakes and flip flops and don't miss it at all.

I sense from your writing you are doing your own thing. Please be kind to us Ron Paul supporters for the next 15 months. Along the road you can find refuge with our kind. If you get shunned from all the journalistic reindeer games- I'm sure you can find a Ron Paul supporter to buy you a beer! I'll be at Presidency IV in October (I cleaned up like a good little Republican and was chosen as an Ambassador) If you get to New Smyrna Beach stop by JC's Restaurant and I'll buy you breakfast.... but only if you don't call me a Ron Paul wacko!

Safe travels on the campaign trail.

angelatc
10-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Speaking of Matt Taibbi....

True to me word I bought the new Rolling Stone because it has a Ron Paul mention in it.

There is a Fred article in it by Matt Taibbi that is unbelievably....well gee. I don't know how to describe it, except if this piece came out about Ron Paul their server would be melting with the emails we would generate.

Here's a quote :
Thompson audiences end up looking like a bunch of flies in a cozy stupor, happily lapping up their own puke."

I'm sure you guys know that I'm no Fred fan....but wow. You really should stop by Borders and give it a read. It starts on page 37.

Or you can click here. Googling that above gave me a few hits.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.politics/browse_thread/thread/44fb639ae4820130/02fb8a64aea6f97e

Vonhayek7
10-01-2007, 06:57 PM
I saw an older copy of Rolling Stone in my school's library today and thought RP could get a lot of exposure in it, weird.

shrugged0106
10-01-2007, 06:59 PM
It really is a good idea to buy periodicals that mention him in a positive light. I will go buy an issue as soon as I can now, and suggest it to others.

ross11988
10-01-2007, 07:36 PM
there confirmation for this yet? Good News if true

angelatc
10-01-2007, 07:56 PM
I have the magazine here. Paul in pictured in a graph, titled "Threat Assessment: The Good, the Bad and the Scary."

Ron is the farthest left, which is as good as the graph gets. Actually. Cindy Sheehan is marked higher, but the way the pictures line up make it look like Paul is #1.

Here's a crappy scan:

http://www.indyattic.com/pics/rsgraph.jpg
Like I said...if we can make magazines that feature Ron Paul articles sell like Princess Diana articles, we'll get more magazines than we can recycle.

0zzy
10-01-2007, 08:34 PM
I have the magazine here. Paul in pictured in a graph, titled "Threat Assessment: The Good, the Bad and the Scary."

Ron is the farthest left, which is as good as the graph gets. Actually. Cindy Sheehan is marked higher, but the way the pictures line up make it look like Paul is #1.

Here's a crappy scan:

Like I said...if we can make magazines that feature Ron Paul articles sell like Princess Diana articles, we'll get more magazines than we can recycle.

Looks good :)

ksuguy
10-01-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure that being next to Cindy Sheehan is a good thing.

fletcher
10-01-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm glad they think highly of Paul, but I'm still not going to buy that awful magazine.

DrNoZone
10-01-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm glad they think highly of Paul, but I'm still not going to buy that awful magazine.

Until I see a STELLAR article from them on RP, I'll just stick with my assumption that they're trying to cash in on the cool of Ron Paul. Just jumpin' on the bandwagon.

OptionsTrader
10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
With a little squinting it appears they used the quote:

GOP candidate Ron Paul on Iraq: "All we're doing is saving face. It's time we came home"

ross11988
10-01-2007, 08:57 PM
With a little squinting it appears they used the quote:

GOP candidate Ron Paul on Iraq: "All we're doing is saving face. It's time we came home"

you are correct

1000-points-of-fright
10-01-2007, 08:58 PM

Plus Jann Wenner nominated Madonna for induction to the ROCK'N'ROLL Hall of Fame.

M.Bellmore
10-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Take a look at this article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/16721264/mccains_last_stand

Here's a chunk that's rather harsh:

One by one, McCain's GOP opponents had lunged toward the cameras pledging, by means of innuendo both thinly veiled and not veiled at all, boundless enthusiasm for the abuse and torture of America's terror-war detainees. Rudy Giuliani, baldly seeking to overcome his rep as a two-faced Yankee liberal who kills the unborn and dresses in women's clothes, grinned into the cameras and said he would tell his people to "use every method they could think of" to get information. The other suspect Northerner, the Mormon *****-coddler Mitt Romney, took in Giuliani's response like a frat pledge who had just been issued a beer-pong challenge, preposterously promising to one-up the field and "double Guantanamo."

koob
10-05-2007, 08:54 PM
yep, my boyfriend told me about it :D good stuff.

newmedia4ron
10-05-2007, 09:42 PM
rant ahead

I think we can all agree we hate politics. Tim Russert makes me sick. They see the race as a game only. They are more like sports analyst. They predict on who will win like sports except sports really is just a game. The outcome in a presidential race will really effect people.

Hillary and co. just want to win. At all costs. They sell their souls to the highest bidder, like its nothing. When I watch Hillary I can see the ego being suppressed. She just wants to say "I know whats better for you so you will do what I say"

Watch Chris Mathews on the daily show (http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Chris_Matthews_to_Jon_Stewart_This_1003.html) and you know what I mean. He even sees life as a game not just politics. Its all about winning. Sacrifice any principles for the sake of your goals. Some people think accomplishing goals will always make you happy. If only I had that mate, that house, and that car then I'd be happy. Oh, I'm not that happy if only I was someone more important...I need that job...mayor position...senate position....If only I was president, that will do it. Look at Rudy. His family hates him, he's been divorced multiple times...he is probably miserable. Unlucky for us he tries to fill that void of unhappiness by running for president!

Ron Paul's story is so funny. He actually does not want the power. He is running to put the power back in the constitution which empowers every individual.

stupid rant sorry.

M.Bellmore
10-05-2007, 09:46 PM
yep, my boyfriend told me about it :D good stuff.

Woohoo another Yooper!

koob
10-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Woohoo another Yooper!

petoskey? pretty sure that's no the u.p.! i'm a pretty lonely supporter. my boyfriend supports ron paul, but he moved to kalamazoo. if you know any supporters actually up here send them my way. it's hard to do much on your own :(

axiomata
10-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I've had this magazine on my coffee table for a couple weeks now and only just now read it. I saw the "with us/against us" part and it was good besides being put behind Cindy Shehan getting arrested with her stomach flubbing out from under her shirt.

mdh
10-07-2007, 10:17 PM
That's kind of disturbing. :(

Nothing we didn't know. I found his candor refreshing.

revolutionary8
07-20-2009, 11:47 PM
BLIMP
http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/004/Graph/DSCN1595.JPG

I love Rolling Stone now.... and this from a conservative Republican ex neo-con.

Check out Matt Taibbi's articles. I got interviewed by him at a sign waving at a Mitt Romney event. He really is an amazing writer.... and a real rebel when it comes to political writing.

I wrote him an email to thank him for coming out to talk to us, kind of feel him out on how bad he was going to spin what I said and to ask him how a journalists sell out.

Hey JC--

Thanks for writing. It was nice to meet you all, too. The Paul people seem to be the nicest at most every event I go to these days, and the other day was no exception. I don't know how you folks stood out there in that heat for that long.

You don't need to worry about me twisting around anything... I'm a fan of Ron Paul. Not all of his politics, certainly, but I think he's honest, which is rare in Washington.

About journalists selling out; they don't do it consciously. They grow up in a newsroom environment where there's a certain mentality, and so they end up seeing the world through that viewpoint. In electoral politics, they're trained to cover it like sports, i.e. you try to guess who's going to win and why; and since they're used to the winners looking and talking a certain way, they have a hard time taking people like Paul seriously. Plus, you know, the press and the candidates spend so much time together, they feel basically like they're all on the same side, and there's some resentment if anyone else -- even the voters -- tries to decide who gets to win. They feel like that's their job, so...