PDA

View Full Version : The circular nature of RonPaulForums

Matthew Zak
09-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Ron Paul sells a book, which we buy.

We look online at sales totals and say, "Wow! Ron Paul sold (x amount) of books, which means (x amount) of people are waking up!"

Then we make 30 threads about the subject.

How many people, who weren't already supporters of Ron Paul, purchased Ron's latest book? How many people were given that book as a gift? Of all those people, how many actually read it?

Ron Pauls book will do very little if we're not out there preparing people for this information. We need to paint a picture of the fed for everyone to see, that makes them want to learn about this. It's like a campaign. We need to be a 100,000 staffed campaign working day and night until the deed is done.

/my 2 cents

JoshLowry
09-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Bumping it up into top ten lists is key to spreading the word on a book.

You make some good points, we do need to reach out as much as possible.

Liberty Star
09-02-2009, 10:48 AM
The difference is that they are with joy talking about RP on CNBC and Schiff is a much sought after guest there now. Your point has some validity but things have actually "changed" somewhat thanks in great part to "economic pain" sadly.

JamesButabi
09-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I know for a fact alot of people will buy and read books based on the best seller list. Whether they agree with the book or not is another subject. Keep fighting.

acptulsa
09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I thought the concept of 'seed money' was well known and understood by now...

It's only circular when it flops. We haven't had that many flops lately, that I've seen.

specsaregood
09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Who would buy one of his books and not read it?
I read mine and lend them out when I am done.

Matthew Zak
09-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Who would buy one of his books and not read it?
I read mine and lend them out when I am done.

I usually buy a book that I think I will like, and then I wait until I'm in the mood to read before I ever look at it twice. Sometimes it's many weeks or months. If I am given a book as a gift, and I never thought I would enjoy it in the first place, it would take either a miracle, some prison time, or money to make me look past the cover. I'm not saying that it isn't worth it -- I understand that it puts it higher on the best selling list, which is generally good for the message, and that several people WILL read it, even if they weren't already interested -- but we can't rely on that by any stretch of the imagination.

We have to get this information to the people who wouldn't open the book.

acptulsa
09-02-2009, 11:13 AM
We have to get this information to the people who wouldn't open the book.

Why would we pick one or the other? And how likely is a person who reads the book to keep that knowledge all to himself?

I think we can maintain a multi-pronged attack.

Matthew Zak
09-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Why would we pick one or the other? And how likely is a person who reads the book to keep that knowledge all to himself?

I think we can maintain a multi-pronged attack.

I agree! I just hope we are waging a multi-pronged attack. Sometimes it seems that at the forums we cheer loudly, give high fives, pass money around, and gossip about all the same stuff, while far fewer people are out there in the real world making a much bigger difference by finding clever ways to get the message out to people. I know this is a place to share information and organize our attack, but most of the people here (at times, it seems) just join the party for the beer.

acptulsa
09-02-2009, 11:23 AM
I know this is a place to share information and organize our attack, but most of the people here (at times, it seems) just join the party for the beer.

I know what you mean. But, you know what? I post for the lurkers, as much or more than anyone.

I surely do see a lot of talking points appear here and spread. Don't claim I can know exactly what role this place plays in that cycle. But it happens often enough that I'm hard pressed to call it a coincidence...

BlackTerrel
09-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Bumping it up into top ten lists is key to spreading the word on a book.

This is true of most social media. You need X number of sales to make a top list, then once it reaches that list it sells 8X.

This is also true for YouTube vids, IPhone and Facebook apps, etc... I think it's a pretty solid strategy. Along with other tactics such as giving it to friends, posting about it on other forums etc..

amy31416
09-02-2009, 12:00 PM
I agree! I just hope we are waging a multi-pronged attack. Sometimes it seems that at the forums we cheer loudly, give high fives, pass money around, and gossip about all the same stuff, while far fewer people are out there in the real world making a much bigger difference by finding clever ways to get the message out to people. I know this is a place to share information and organize our attack, but most of the people here (at times, it seems) just join the party for the beer.

Beer? None of these cheap bastardos told me about the beer!

Seriously though, you made some valid points.

georgiaboy
09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
beer will definitely get the message out faster than books.

RP Lager, anyone?

EDIT: Sam Adams already beat him to it. oh well, more circularity, i guess.