PDA

View Full Version : FT: Libertarian Glenn Beck Tests Boundaries of Political Discourse

clb09
09-02-2009, 10:26 AM
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3a639380-9759-11de-83c5-00144feabdc0.html

But nothing has gained Mr Beck such attention as his quips about the US's first non-white president. According to Media Matters, the list of companies that have signed up to an advertising boycott of Mr Beck's TV show has reached 46, including Procter & Gamble, Wal-Mart and Geico. Fox News disputes those numbers and points out that some companies Best Buy, had not signed up to the boycott.

Fox News declined to say whether Mr Beck's show was losing money. Given the rise in his ratings, which were boosted further with an endorsement last week by Sarah Palin, the former governor of Alaska, on her Facebook site, industry observers say they doubt Mr Beck's earnings potential has been harmed.

The closest parallel for shock radio talk shows is Don Imus, who was junked by CBS radio in 2007 when he referred to a group of African-American basketball players as "nappy headed hos". Mr Imus has since returned to radio and has reportedly been courted by Fox Business News.

Liberty Star
09-02-2009, 10:31 AM
More like boundaries of neocons suddeny trying to become fake Libertarians now that Obama czars could be using Patriot Act on Glenn Beck that he had himself supported under Bush LOL

acptulsa
09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Now there's a site I won't be favoring with a hit! So, is he intimating that Beck called the president a 'nappy-headed ho'? Because if he isn't, he's coming mighty close.

Does anyone else smell a whole new Sedition Act coming down the pike?

More like boundaries of neocons suddeny trying to become fake Libertarians now that Obama czars could be using Patriot Act on Glenn Beck that he had himself supported under Bush LOL

lmao--oh, wait. That's not funny...

Liberty Star
09-02-2009, 10:38 AM
You're right, it's not funny even if it happened to a supporter of PA at the hands of Obama czars; it's just educational.

Dreamofunity
09-02-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm no fan of Beck, but what has he said that is any bit remotely like Don Imus's comment? That was an uncalled for comparison.

Brian4Liberty
09-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Small government is bad for big business. Anyone who advocates small government will come under this kind of attack.

BuddyRey
09-02-2009, 12:08 PM
If I hear Glenn Beck erroneously labeled a libertarian again,

BANG, ZOOM...

TO THE MOON, ALICE!!!

http://www.fratmustard.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/ralph-kramden.jpg

heavenlyboy34
09-02-2009, 12:08 PM

lolz

JoshLowry
09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
If I hear Glenn Beck erroneously labeled a libertarian again,

BANG, ZOOM...

TO THE MOON, ALICE!!!

http://www.fratmustard.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/ralph-kramden.jpg

+1

Beck is a dirty word. Don't let the honey, honey, poison work.

UnReconstructed
09-02-2009, 08:56 PM
beck is not a libertarian. maybe politically he is but the foundation of libertarianism is the NAP and he does not even know wtf it is.

Flash
09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Please don't post these kinds of articles, they're filled with biased misinformation. Name the 46 sponsors that media matters says left Beck. . Only 16 have left and since then ONE has returned. All these liberal newspapers are saying theres 40+ sponsors, it's just NOT TRUE. Hell, the idiot that wrote the article in the OP listed Wal-Mart as one of these sponsors. If he did 5 seconds of research he would've seen Wal-Mart never advertised on the show in the first place.

defendglenn.com

Heres the sponsors that left Beck's show:

General Mills
NutriSystem
Sprint
CVS-Caremark
Sargento Cheese
GEICO
Ally Bank
Broadview Security
972-871-3500
Progressive Insurance
Men's Wearhouse
Lawyers.com
Radio Shack
Healthy Choice (ConAgra)
Plavix (Sanofi-Aventis)
Travelocity

And Roche returned to Beck's show and apologized recently. There are other sponsors that are pulling ads from Beck's show however it has nothing to do with the boycott. They're also pulling ads from MSNBC, other FOX shows, & CNN since they don't want to be seen as siding with the Dems or Repubs.

Reason
09-02-2009, 09:56 PM
+1

Beck is a dirty word. Don't let the honey, honey, poison work.

Agreed.

SimpleName
09-02-2009, 11:17 PM

And I did as well...must mean I am still a war mongering, torture-endorsing ignorant prick.