PDA

View Full Version : Materials and Campaign Kickoff

GunnyFreedom
09-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Hello Liberty Forest!

I'm still waiting for some more quotes, but I have materials ready to produce in order to have at least some on hand for the 17 September, Constitution Day kickoff.

We also need to secure the venue, either at Lake Royale, or in Bunn.

In order to do this, we need funding. I am now at $150 from local sources, and here are anticipated the costs for the kickoff:

MATERIALS:

$49.95 - 1000 full color double sided Business Cards
$180.00 - 500 3" stickers
$80.00 - 75 Campaign Buttons
$191.50 - 50 Yard Signs

$501.45

The bang-for-buck is not as strong in a short run like this, but this is just the kickoff for the core supporters, trying to build motivation to grow out and grow the volunteer base.

I have a much larger long run planned that will cost a lot less per item.

Location, Snacks, Drinks, & Supplies

If we get a shelter on Lake Royale, the costs will just be maybe $150-$200 altogether, attendance depending. If we have to cater a room in Bunn, it may go up to $300, $350 at worst.

Getting the word out

This is volunteering, canvass, and phonebanking.

I need to raise at least $1000 by September 11th in order to hold this kickoff, and $500 of that by September 7th in order to have my cards, signs, labels and buttons in time.

Please do what you can to help restore the Constitutional order in our time!

http://glenbradley.net/donate/toGlen10.html

GunnyFreedom
09-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Stickers and buttons

GunnyFreedom
09-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Yard Sign:

http://glenbradley.net/files/materials/tallsign7small.gif

MRoCkEd
09-01-2009, 09:41 PM
good luck!

GunnyFreedom
09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
good luck!

Thanks! I appreciate it. This will be the culmination of over two years of effort for me. If all my treasurer gets are crickets chirping, well, I'll get the message. ;)

Cowlesy
09-01-2009, 09:57 PM
awesome gunny!

/bump

GunnyFreedom
09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks Cowsley you rock! Until I can get ahold of a live updating widget, I won't know if anything updates until my Treasurer speaks to me in the morning.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Wake up Liberty Forest!

Do we want to do this thing or not?

KCIndy
09-02-2009, 04:39 AM
I'm in for $25.

I know it's not much - so come on, folks! Who wants to match?? :)

Maybe we need to bump this up to a more heavily-trafficked section of the forums.

JVParkour
09-02-2009, 09:19 AM
FYI, http://glenbradley.net/donate/toGlen10.html the word "campaign" is missing an "i".

Just figured you'd like to know.

jm1776
09-02-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm in for $25.

Maybe we need to bump this up to a more heavily-trafficked section of the forums.

Matched at $25.00!

We need our candidates in state houses every bit as much as Congress! Thanks for running Gunny!

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm in for $25.

Hey thanks! I appreciate it far more than you can possibly know. This is what is going to allow me to push forward and get some stuff done around here.

I had thought at first about posting it to the more heavily trafficked General Politics or Grassroots Central, but I was making an effort to ensure that my post went right in the forum where it belongs.

If anything maybe I can post a ref to this thread in General Politics?

Really, thanks again KCIndy. My treasurer called me up all excited an hour or so ago to tell me that the first online donations using the new form had come through, and somehow I knew it was the Ron Paul Forums that had come through for me. :D

JoshLowry
09-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Matched at $25.00!

We need our candidates in state houses every bit as much as Congress! Thanks for running Gunny!

Matching your match of $25.

(Moved to General Politics for a bit.)

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Matched at $25.00!

Thank you for helping me run!

You may imagine that this season would be really really good for my business. Instead of politicking, I could be building my company now that more people want little companies like mine to repair their networks instead of just having huge companies come in and replace the, like they did before the bubble burst.

But I am doing politics instead, because this is what Dr Paul suggested we could to do make a difference. And really, the survival of our nation is more important than a little extra profit.

Unlike those who we are out to replace, I am not doing this because I want to, but because I know we need to.

I am even starting at the State House, because right now I believe that the State House will have more impact on protecting citizens from a runaway Federal Congress than trying to get control of the Federal gov't by itself. It may be a little easier to win a State House seat than a US House seat, but I really focused on State House because right now we need STATE firearms freedom acts, STATE health care freedom acts, STATE energy freedom and market independence acts, and STATE recognitions of the 9th and 10th Amendments more than we need action from the Federal Government, I think.

I also think that creating a 'grassroots environment' with several states pushing versions of the five freedom acts in their legislatures will create massive tons of pressure on the US Congress that just a couple House Reps could not hope to bring to bear, bur with that pressure those couple of us on the Hill will have a lot more speaking and breathing room on account of that pressure.

So yeah, it all works together, and I am convinced that the State legislatures are a critical component, which is one of the several important reasons why I decided to run for State House instead of US Congress.

Again, thank you! I already have pricing on short run and long run materials; and am fashioning the rest of the rough budget for the next year and a quarter as we speak.

THIS one is primarily to help fund my kickoff, which is actually important to give the local supporters the impression that I am indeed a professional effort that they can get behind and help. If they come for the kickoff and see nothing buy a couple hot dogs and hand-drawn signs, they will be less than enthusiastic, I think. If they come and see signs, buttons, and stickers that they can take home an use, I believe they will be more inclined to volunteer when it comes time to canvass.

On the 28th, which was the day in 1787 that Ben Franklin, having just completed the US Constitution, told the citizen who asked hi, 'What have you created?' Ben Franklin said, "A Republic Ma'am, if you can keep it!"

So on 28 September 2009, we will have a "Keep The Republic" money-bomb to fund the major efforts, long runs, mailouts, materials etc going forward.

Thanks again! and we will keep perfect track of our receipts and expenditures, to be reported to out supporters monthly until June 2010 when we will report to our contributors weekly or every 2 weeks on income and expenses.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Matching your match of $25.

(Moved to General Politics for a bit.)

Wow thanks Josh! I'm helping the Treasurer, Ms Esslinger, set up a thank you letter, both in e-mail and snailmail to reply to all of these also. She has been an bookkeeper/accountant/controller for major companies for 40 years now, but is about as new to actual politics as I am.

We managed to get the 'not for profit' status set up and approved at PayPal, so the fees are minimal, and we will get more of the donation money than we probably would through an ordinary merchant's account in fact.

Thanks for the donation Josh, and also for tacking the thread to GP for the time being.

Petar is working on my website right now. If it would be OK, I will work on a banner fir the forums to put up when it's done.

And thanks again Josh! Next stop: State House!!

JoshLowry
09-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Best of luck! Sorry I can't contribute more.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Best of luck! Sorry I can't contribute more.

Hey no worries Josh -- I can see what's happening in the nation and in the economy -- that's why I'm running, to put a stop to the environment that allows us to be productive, and yet take a financial loss while the looters produce nothing, roll around in our money like pigs in mud. Hopefully in 2-4 years some of what we will be doing will have enough of an impact that people can do more next go-round.

For the moment, anything at all helps. We are going against big-money and union backed progressive liberals, and we are going to make every penny count!

KCIndy
09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Bump!!

Come on, everyone!! $25?? How about a teenie little ten buck donation via PayPal??

What is freedom worth? There are hundreds, maybe thousands of us who frequent these forums. Only a very few are both willing and able to step up and run for office. That's a task that takes plenty of courage and determination at the best of times. The least we can do is back them with a little cash.

Let's get behind these guys (and gals) who are actually stepping up to the plate.

Almost anyone can swing a measley five buck donation through PayPal. If we're going to be serious about putting Liberty-minded candidates into office, we need to realize they're worth supporting. Give up that Big Mac combo meal for a day and donate the five bucks to a candidate who supports the U.S. Constitution! :)

KCIndy
09-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Bump!!

Come on, everyone!! $25?? How about a teenie little ten buck donation via PayPal??

What is freedom worth? There are hundreds, maybe thousands of us who frequent these forums. Only a very few are both willing and able to step up and run for office. That's a task that takes plenty of courage and determination at the best of times. The least we can do is back them with a little cash.

Let's get behind these guys (and gals) who are actually stepping up to the plate.

Almost anyone can swing a measley five buck donation through PayPal. If we're going to be serious about putting Liberty-minded candidates into office, we need to realize they're worth supporting. Give up that Big Mac combo meal for a day and donate the five bucks to a candidate who supports the U.S. Constitution! :)

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks KCIndy!

I just got the quote back on my long-run stickers, it's a guy I worked with when I was VP of a candy company. $580 for 10,000 3" stickers, $0.058 each. That is an awesome price!

http://glenbradley.net/files/materials/flagstickersMED.gif

hamilton1049
09-02-2009, 02:01 PM
See your $25.00 and raise ya $25.00

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 02:20 PM
See your $25.00 and raise ya $25.00

You rock man! Thanks for the donation. I think I will be able, once we get production going, to sent at least one button and a sticker to every donor. We have a very good shot at District 49 this year. Franklin County had one of the lowest margins for Obama of any county in the nation that actually went blue, and already there is a lot of angst and disgruntlement in the area.

In fact, I daresay that 2010 may be the best shot at winning D49 in the last 10 years, or the next 10 together. Everything you are doing here will help enormously!

Austin
09-02-2009, 02:24 PM
You rock man! Thanks for the donation. I think I will be able, once we get production going, to sent at least one button and a sticker to every donor. We have a very good shot at District 49 this year. Franklin County had one of the lowest margins for Obama of any county in the nation that actually went blue, and already there is a lot of angst and disgruntlement in the area.

In fact, I daresay that 2010 may be the best shot at winning D49 in the last 10 years, or the next 10 together. Everything you are doing here will help enormously!

How does your Republican opposition look?

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 02:32 PM
How does your Republican opposition look?

It doesn't, at the moment. The guy who usually runs is Keith Shearon, and he has run now for... 3 elections?

Shortly after I announced my intentions some time ago, the website he has maintained for 4-5 years as campaign site went dark. At the moment it looks like I may be unopposed in the primary. And the more professional this campaign looks the sooner, the less likely I think he is to change his mind. If nothing else, he may figure that I will lose, and he wants to take a break this cycle. In any case, for the time being it looks like I will not be opposed in the primary.

LittleLightShining
09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I am even starting at the State House, because right now I believe that the State House will have more impact on protecting citizens from a runaway Federal Congress than trying to get control of the Federal gov't by itself. It may be a little easier to win a State House seat than a US House seat, but I really focused on State House because right now we need STATE firearms freedom acts, STATE health care freedom acts, STATE energy freedom and market independence acts, and STATE recognitions of the 9th and 10th Amendments more than we need action from the Federal Government, I think.

I also think that creating a 'grassroots environment' with several states pushing versions of the five freedom acts in their legislatures will create massive tons of pressure on the US Congress that just a couple House Reps could not hope to bring to bear, bur with that pressure those couple of us on the Hill will have a lot more speaking and breathing room on account of that pressure.

So yeah, it all works together, and I am convinced that the State legislatures are a critical component, which is one of the several important reasons why I decided to run for State House instead of US Congress.

On the 28th, which was the day in 1787 that Ben Franklin, having just completed the US Constitution, told the citizen who asked hi, 'What have you created?' Ben Franklin said, "A Republic Ma'am, if you can keep it!"

So on 28 September 2009, we will have a "Keep The Republic" money-bomb to fund the major efforts, long runs, mailouts, materials etc going forward.

Thanks again! and we will keep perfect track of our receipts and expenditures, to be reported to out supporters monthly until June 2010 when we will report to our contributors weekly or every 2 weeks on income and expenses.I agree with you 100%, Gunny! The state legislatures are so VERY important!

Looking forward to your moneybomb! I wish I could help before then but I can't :(

KCIndy
09-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Bump!!

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 03:02 PM
KCIndy, I really appreciate what you are doing...and speaking of a BigMac combo, I think it's time to nuke a Ramen. Believe me, I know what it's like out there. I'm living on Ramen right now because I have given up most of my last 18 months of income to do politics.

KCIndy is right. If I can eat Ramen for a year to help push for restoring the Constitutional Order full time, I am sure folks can give up a BigMac meal to help the cause!

Kotin
09-02-2009, 03:42 PM
just put up 40$ for you, my friend.

hamilton1049
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Bump!

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
just put up 40$ for you, my friend.

Thanks! My treasurer just called me to tell me! :D

I am feeling a heckuva lot better now. At first I was worried that nothing was going to happen here, but I am glad that my worries were misplaced.

If things keep going at this rate, I should be able to make my goals of $500 by September 11th (which also happens to be my birthday, btw) and $1000 by the 17th kickoff event.

That will allow us to have a real event with materials to hand out, and will help us to set up the Sept 28th "Restore The Republic" Moneybomb for both local and global participation.

Kotin
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks! My treasurer just called me to tell me! :D

I am feeling a heckuva lot better now. At first I was worried that nothing was going to happen here, but I am glad that my worries were misplaced.

If things keep going at this rate, I should be able to make my goals of $500 by September 11th (which also happens to be my birthday, btw) and $1000 by the 17th kickoff event.

That will allow us to have a real event with materials to hand out, and will help us to set up the Sept 28th "Restore The Republic" Moneybomb for both local and global participation.

I'm glad.. I got a lot more cash with your name on it.. I got your back.

hamilton1049
09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Just bumped the thread at NCCM hope it helps!

Matthew Zak
09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
bump

KCIndy
09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Oh, man.... really sorry about that double/triple/whatever post.
:o:eek::o

I was out in the middle of nowhere, trying to write that post on a Blackberry. Apparently every time I switched from phone mode to internet mode it must have kicked out a duplicate post. I'm still not sure what happened.

Can a friendly moderator replace those posts with something LESS embarrassing, like maybe a dancing hamster wearing a "KCIndy" hat??? LOL geez... sorry.

jm1776
09-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Received the email receipt. Looks great, first class all the way Gunny!

You have enough on your plate without worrying about campaign finances. Tap your donor list as needed.

dr. hfn
09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Someone ask Glenn Bradley to be a liberator and join www.liberatetheunitedstates.com

tangent4ronpaul
09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm in for $25.

Matched!

Good luck Gunny!

-t

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Received the email receipt. Looks great, first class all the way Gunny!

You have enough on your plate without worrying about campaign finances. Tap your donor list as needed.

I really do appreciate it. I will say, however, that until I get up to about $5000 in total receipts, that financing the campaign has to be my top priority. I have kind of come to peace with it. I hate hate hate the idea of sticking my hand out and asking for money, but the reality is that raising funds is indeed a required skill for people in politics, So I have made my peace with the fact that is is a required component of any campaign.

For now, I have gotten $190 from this push so far today, another $50 from a local C4Ler that I work with, and $150 folded in from donations to my political efforts prior to announcing that I would indeed run. That makes for $390 in total receipts, with now $290 currently in the bank, having spent $100 on campaign fliers to hand out during all these Tea Parties. :D

I am sure we'll get there. And Lord knows I wish I could focus on the message instead of the finances. After all, I do have a trained treasurer who knows all the ins and outs of the process and how to do this legally. A campaign manager will have a profound difference I am sure...but with only $390 in total receipts and only $290 in the bank, I can't afford not to pay attention to this for the time being. ;)

The last thing in the world I want to do is to get 50 to 100 people gathered together for September 17th, and be unable to hand out materials. I don't think that would inspire much confidence. lol!

Tonight I am working on a flier for the kickoff, and tomorrow during the day I will be traveling to Bunn to scout out a location and secure it, so I can have a hard fixed time date group and geocoordinates for the kickoff event.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Someone ask Glenn Bradley to be a liberator and join www.liberatetheunitedstates.com

Interestingly enough, that's the gentleman who is doing my website. 8-) So yes, I am certainly a part of that. 8-)

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Matched!

Good luck Gunny!

-t

Thanks so much! I know we can win this district, especially this year. It will take a little more funding than an ordinary State House Run, because the key to winning this district is simply to put a copy of my platform into every voter's hands, which is not cheap to do.

You see, the district is pretty heavy Democrat, but the vast majority of Dems in this District are conservative Blue Dogs who are disgruntled at their liberal representation, but have heretofore not seen a Republican they are willing to vote for.

That I can provide. I just need the funding to let them all know that I exist and am available. :cool:

Cowlesy
09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Who is going to the Constitution Day kickoff? Is there an event going on down in NC for it, like a fair/gathering/et al?

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Who is going to the Constitution Day kickoff? Is there an event going on down in NC for it, like a fair/gathering/et al?

More people around here get more worked up over April 12th than September 17th. April 12th 1775 at the Halifax Courthouse in Halifax NC (a location that is maybe 5 miles outside my district) is the date that North Carolina became the first colony to officially declare sovereignty from the crown. We even have the date on our flag!

So the next really big event/moneybomb will be Aprl 12th. of course, I will have other events etc, but the April 12th event I will be pushing for FOUR MONTHS until it happens, so I expect it to be a big one!

Other than that, I am hosting my own event for the 17th. There will be hot dogs and sodas etc etc, fliers, stickers, signs, and buttons, and if I get enough financing a Constitution and a campaign bookmark for everybody who attends.

I am setting up a calling list now, (I already have a basic phonebank script written) and one of the major questions on the phonebank script will gauge willingness to attend the kickoff generally. I am probably looking from 5:30PM until 7:30PM for the event, given that it's on a Thursday, in order to give people time to get there from work.

I have analyzed the voting patterns of the last 2 cycles, and am focusing on phonebanking the most heavily GOP voting precincts to gather people to the kickoff event.

Cowlesy
09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Are you going to post pictures of the supplies and the event in all their gunnyfreedom-goodness for which we can all savor? :)

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Are you going to post pictures of the supplies and the event in all their gunnyfreedom-goodness for which we can all savor? :)

Oh my yes! Part of Petar's idea for a campaign website is to put all the events on a map, with access to photos and video. Not to mention, if this goes over well enough, everybody who donates should be able to get a button and a sticker. I'm holding off on the snailmail thank-you's just until I see if I can 1) afford to give out buttons and stickers, and 2) until they actually come in the mail to me.

So there ought to be ALL KINDS of pictures and video coming out of this. At the moment, it is my intention to videolog the entire campaign from start to finish, and load it all on YouTube for all the world to watch. My aim is to run one of the most public and above-board and issue-oriented campaigns in history.

I will probably make and upload more video over the next 18 month campaign than I will during not-campaigning, for the rest of my life!

RPF's will vicariously live out every event, signbomb, litbomb, and canvass via YouTube posts. That was my plan from the beginning! ;-)

boat6868
09-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Glen,
For what it is worth the "donate" button on your website did not work for me...it just kept on the "about me page". The link provided by JVParkour seemed to work.

Nice price on the stickers!!...also, this is just one persons perspective...but when I make a contribution I am OK not getting a snail mail thank you...I prefer that the money be used influencing potential voters...just my perspective.

God Speed.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 07:14 PM
So far roughly 2% of the thread views have turned into donors. If most everbody holds out for the 28 September Restore The Republic moneybomb, then there might never be one! ;)

so I am doing constant fundraising between now and 17 Sept, 4 mini-bombs on 28 Sept, 05 Nov, 20 Jan, middle-March somewhere, a major moneybomb on 12 April, a drawn out moneybomb from June 15th through July 4th, and somewhere between 15 Aug and 15 Sept 2010 have a blowout to take us through the November election.

Any thoughts on the (off the top of my head) moneybomb schedule?

My next bump of this thread I will talk about how many of what materials are needed by when, therefore it will become evident as to the schedule funding is required.

I will tell you up front that I plan on doing a lot more with yardsigns than a local campaign normally does, so being able to purchase as many yardsigns as soon as possible would be pure gold.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Glen,
For what it is worth the "donate" button on your website did not work for me...it just kept on the "about me page". The link provided by JVParkour seemed to work.

Nice price on the stickers!!...also, this is just one persons perspective...but when I make a contribution I am OK not getting a snail mail thank you...I prefer that the money be used influencing potential voters...just my perspective.

God Speed.

Thank you very much!

You are right, what is currently at my site was some preliminary work that was abandoned when a real web developer started working on it. The only reason that had not already been fixed is I had anticipated having the good website already in place by now (my fault, I was a little slow getting Petar some critical data) but I expect the real site up any day now. Until then, you are exactly right, the broken donate link is unprofessional, and I'll be updating that and my contact link tonight.

Tho- that update may be very short-lived if the real website comes on line in the next 4 days -ish.

Thanks!

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 07:37 PM
And I am the same as you when it comes to snail mail thankyous, I even let RP08 know that during the Presidential Campaign. If anybody does NOT want snailmail thankyou cards, let me know in reply to the thanks e-mail I send out, and we'll use that...what 48 cents now? to hit another address or two in a mailout. :)

tangent4ronpaul
09-02-2009, 07:39 PM
The cost of the buttons seems really high. You can get a professional button making machine for a bit over $200 and then it's worthwhile to print out the image on glossy stock w/ a color inkjet printer. Beyond that, it's a circle cutter and button stock. you can get 1,000 button parts for $60 or 2,500 for $145. Great volunteer activity. Be sure to get a QUALITY (ie: metal) machine. The cheapie plastic ones just don't last.

btw: sent you a PM.

-t

Cowlesy
09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Okay Glen --- I ponied up $750.00. I am excited to the pictures of the supplies and the kickoff event, as you're now almost at $1,000, and I am sure you can make the event happen with $910.00. I have a feeling you can raise any remaining amount you need.

Good luck and keep us posted.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
The cost of the buttons seems really high. You can get a professional button making machine for a bit over $200 and then it's worthwhile to print out the image on glossy stock w/ a color inkjet printer. Beyond that, it's a circle cutter and button stock. you can get 1,000 button parts for $60 or 2,500 for $145. Great volunteer activity. Be sure to get a QUALITY (ie: metal) machine. The cheapie plastic ones just don't last.

btw: sent you a PM.

-t

Yes, you are exactly right. I will be making my own buttons with a button machine for the bulk of the campaign. I already have 4 people lined up willing to press them for me. I was only going prefab for the kickoff -- but if I get enough from this fundraiser to get the button maker earlier than anticipated, I will be saving about 50% on buttons.

However, if I DON'T get a button press in time to make them, the 50-70 prefabs are not a bad price for prefabs; but you are exactly right: for anything over 100 count, prefab buttons are just a bad bad idea.

The plan was a prefab run of 50 followed by purchasing a button machine. I picked 70 because the choice was 70 for $80 or 50 for $70. Between the two, the 70 count is the obvious winner. However, for the 1000 or more buttons that will be made, there is NO QUESTION but that a hand press is the better option.

If I can get the hand press BEFORE the kickoff, and still have the other materials, that too would be golden!

I really do appreciate the advice. It really is good advice. In fact I think I told someone else on here the exact same thing once, and actually looked at button presses FIRST.

My thought process on the materials above was just to have some small number of 50-ish on hand for the kickoff without having to go $250 (including materials) into it, until I can afford to.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Okay Glen --- I ponied up $750.00. I am excited to the pictures of the supplies and the kickoff event, as you're now almost at $1,000, and I am sure you can make the event happen with $910.00. I have a feeling you can raise any remaining amount you need.

Oh my -- I don't even know what to say... I can't thank you enough for that! Seriously, I am just floored! OK I will recover, and then form a more articulate response just as soon as I can... Really, I am shocked to my core. One of the few times in my life I have been speechless...

You are just too awesome for words Cowlesy!

Cowlesy
09-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Oh my -- I don't even know what to say... I can't thank you enough for that! Seriously, I am just floored! OK I will recover, and then form a more articulate response just as soon as I can... Really, I am shocked to my core. One of the few times in my life I have been speechless...

You are just too awesome for words Cowlesy!

Don't worry about that. This gives you more time than you originally requested to get everything in order, so worry about getting your items, and hitting the phones to get people to your kickoff party.

That's what counts. RPFs can only help start the brushfire...it's up to you and local folks to keep it light and carry the torch.

Good luck!

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Cowlesy - you get DOUBLE video of the rally for that one, and double pictures, double... :D

I'm setting up a YouTube channel for the campaign right frelling now, and if this works out, it will be one ofthe most heavily documented, videoed, and photographed State House campaign in history! :D :D :D

tangent4ronpaul
09-02-2009, 08:18 PM

WOW! - sweet donation! wish I could match, but I don't have that kind of disposable income. There are a number of candidates running that are all worthy and I hope people support some of the other lesser known ones too. We need to get as many of our ppl into office as possible.

-t

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Don't worry about that. This gives you more time than you originally requested to get everything in order, so worry about getting your items, and hitting the phones to get people to your kickoff party.

That's what counts. RPFs can only help start the brushfire...it's up to you and local folks to keep it light and carry the torch.

Good luck!

Thanks! and yes, that was the first thing that occurred to me -- I no longer have to worry about whether I can pull it off, I can now just DO it, and focus on the more productive aspects of growing my local volunteer pool from 30 to about 50 or 75 going into the canvass and phonebank season, as well as now I can directly focus on getting more people to attend the kickoff -- which will directly impact my volunteer pool and my votes on the bottom line.. Thanks to you, I don't have to worry about pulling this off, I can just do it, and focus on getting VOTES instead of money.

Guys, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your getting me started here. Yes, there will be plenty of local donors, just as you say Cowlesy, but the important bit was being able to present as a professional campaign at the kickoff, which will make the folks far more willing to contribute knowing that there is a real campaign behind it.

Thanks to you, I can now do that without having to worry/push/worry/push at it for the next 2 weeks. Now I can just set it up and make it happen!

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 08:33 PM
No videos yet, but here is the YouTube channel where all the campaign vids will be hosted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenBradley4NCHouse

JVParkour
09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I am at college about 3.5 hours away from youngsville. I'm about 45 minutes to the west of Charlotte. I was wondering if you might need help sometime in the future passing out some campaign lit and stuff. If you do, PM me and i'll make the drive! (I would come more often, but gas is pretty expensive, and i'm poor. :D)

So if you know anyone between you and Charlotte, whenever I come out, I can swing by and pick em up. We'll make an event out of it!!

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I am at college about 3.5 hours away from youngsville. I'm about 45 minutes to the west of Charlotte. I was wondering if you might need help sometime in the future passing out some campaign lit and stuff. If you do, PM me and i'll make the drive! (I would come more often, but gas is pretty expensive, and i'm poor. :D)

So if you know anyone between you and Charlotte, whenever I come out, I can swing by and pick em up. We'll make an event out of it!!

Thanks! I have no doubt that I will take you up on that. And we have lots and lots of people out west. The funny thing about the way we are set up here, is that most of the Paulers are out west towards the mountains, while the western NC GOP (allied with the hard core establishment neocons) seems to dislike Paulers.... while the eastern-half GOP seems to LOVE us Paulers, but there are a lot fewer of us over in this half of the state.

Now if only we could either get all of the establishment neocons to move east, OR all the Paulers to move east, then we could probably zip the NCGOP up and call NC an outright Pauler state! :D

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2009, 08:50 PM
OK, still in shock, I'm turning in early tonight so I can spend the day in Bunn and in Lake Royale tomorrow setting up the venue. G'night, and will talk soon. I'll get some pictures of the venue up tomorrow for folks to see. :cool:

KCIndy
09-03-2009, 04:36 AM

:eek::eek::eek:

Wow! Three big cheers for Cowlesy!!!

WOOT!! WOOT!! WOOT!!

JoshLowry
09-03-2009, 07:47 AM
You are a generous person Mr. Cowlesy.

Woot!

GunnyFreedom
09-03-2009, 04:28 PM
You are a generous person Mr. Cowlesy.

Woot!

Hear here! more than I rate!

I spoke to the people at Lake Royale today, that was my 1st choice, but apparently if you do not have property there you cannot use any of their facilities. I have a meeting with the principle of Bunn High School in the morning to discuss other locations. As soon as we have a location (probably by Friday afternoon, like I said yesterday, I'll have some photos of the raw location to put up.

GunnyFreedom
09-03-2009, 05:29 PM
fine then screw Lake Royale. see if I buy any property there. ;) We do have one of the ....ahem... FIVE state parks in NC in my district. (lol @ only five) Medoc Mountain State Park. It's kind of an aberration, really, and sort of out of the way, but it's beautiful, and kind of central to the district.

Dunno if someone coming from Raleigh really wants to drive 2 hours. Google maps says it's 44 miles from me. Helluva gerrymandered district lol! OK tomorros I'm going to Medoc Mountain.

GunnyFreedom
09-03-2009, 06:04 PM
OK! I'm liking Medoc Mountain tenfold better than Lake Royale anyway. Only thing I don't like is that it's up in my gerrymander, and therefore kind of a stretch from the southernmost end of my district where most of my support is. ALTHOUGH there is another major benefit -- it's deep in "enemy" territory that usually goes Dem, so if I invite all the Republicans from the area I will have volunteer activists deep in enemy territory. ;) That can only be good.

tangent4ronpaul
09-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Check out as many places as possible and at the same time. We went through this trying to do a campaign school and it really stepped on everything else, so we ended up not having it. A lot of places need advanced notice - especially if you need a permit.

School gymnasiums, amphitheaters, colleges, dance halls, VFW halls, community centers, fire stations, libraries, etc. all sorts of places rent space. Maybe even a bingo parlor?

Places that rent tables, chairs or tents probably know of a lot of places you've never thought of.

-t

ps: assume it's going to rain!

GunnyFreedom
09-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Check out as many places as possible and at the same time. We went through this trying to do a campaign school and it really stepped on everything else, so we ended up not having it. A lot of places need advanced notice - especially if you need a permit.

School gymnasiums, amphitheaters, colleges, dance halls, VFW halls, community centers, fire stations, libraries, etc. all sorts of places rent space. Maybe even a bingo parlor?

Places that rent tables, chairs or tents probably know of a lot of places you've never thought of.

-t

ps: assume it's going to rain!

Medoc Mountain State Park has a shelter, and it's within striking distance of the place where the very first official declaration of independence from the British Crown took place on April 12, 1775

I've gotten some images of the area:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3729217
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2201939
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2201925
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2201916

which I will supplement with actual photographs from my camera tomorrow. Lake Royale was a bust, but I'm thinking Medoc Mountain will be far better anyway. It's a little more out of the way from my strongest support, HOWEVER, it is right in the slam center of where I need to build my support. It is right in the "bluest" precinct of all from 2008's election.

So I'll be heating the phonebank up to pull as many registered GOP's and independents from the area to attend as physically possible. If I can get core groups in the bluest precincts in my district, that ought to serve me well going forward. :D

tangent4ronpaul
09-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Nice area!

As to that phone bank - might ask for the more distant ones if anyone has a van or bus and would be interested in carpooling. Do a convoy!

free food / music can also get people to make a longer trip - if you can afford it...

http://www.myspace.com/bswenk
http://www.myspace.com/billytheninja

Are both bands / musicians in NC that support our cause. If you are near a state line, I might be able to ID others in the neighboring state.

-t

GunnyFreedom
09-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Nice area!

As to that phone bank - might ask for the more distant ones if anyone has a van or bus and would be interested in carpooling. Do a convoy!

free food / music can also get people to make a longer trip - if you can afford it...

http://www.myspace.com/bswenk
http://www.myspace.com/billytheninja

Are both bands / musicians in NC that support our cause. If you are near a state line, I might be able to ID others in the neighboring state.

-t

Well, food was already on the agenda, but to be honest I had not even thought about music. That's a GREAT idea! The convoy/van/carpool thing is great too. Thanks!

(unfortunately, those two guys are in Ashville - actually south central virginia would be closer than Ashville, and I doubt if anybody in Richmond would want to drive what...2.5-3 hours? Hmm, still a good idea, I can maybe look at musicians not within the Ron Paul circle, but then the cost goes way up I bet. :(

tangent4ronpaul
09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Well, food was already on the agenda, but to be honest I had not even thought about music. That's a GREAT idea! The convoy/van/carpool thing is great too. Thanks!

(unfortunately, those two guys are in Ashville - actually south central virginia would be closer than Ashville, and I doubt if anybody in Richmond would want to drive what...2.5-3 hours? Hmm, still a good idea, I can maybe look at musicians not within the Ron Paul circle, but then the cost goes way up I bet. :(

I'm coming up empty in VA - but we have not throughly surveyed our band space. I imagine there are some as well as more in NC. W.VA has 3, TX has 25... (that we know of) and so on....

I suspect many would travel and preform for gas, hotel and food... widening the net...

-t

boat6868
09-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Gunny,
I just wondered into the the liberty forest...so these comments might not be worth much...but if you are having a "kickoff" you may consider having it close to your core support. Why add logistical issues for your first event which will undoubtedly be stressfull enough.

Best of luck.

GunnyFreedom
09-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Here's the shelter and field:

http://glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/prep/shelter1.jpg

http://glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/prep/shelter2.jpg

http://glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/prep/shelter3.jpg

http://glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/prep/approach.jpg

And I even made turn-by-turns! :D

http://glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/prep/turn1-left.jpg

http://glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/prep/turn2-right.jpg

http://glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/prep/turn3-left.jpg

http://glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/prep/turn4-right.jpg

Hopefully that will make it easier for folks.

I'll answer why I'm looking more towards Halifax blue zone than Youngsville red zone at some point in the next 24 hours. Now I have to prep for the festival tomorrow. going out to flyer and shake hands. :)

tangent4ronpaul
09-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Don't forget community message boards: grocery stores, laundromats, libraries, colleges. That way many people see each flier. If it's legal in your area, light/telephone poles by crosswalks will get many views. Call your local community paper and see if they will put in a event notice for it, or if your lucky have a reporter do a story on your campaign kickoff. Try to get on talk radio shows.

btw: nice location!

-t

GunnyFreedom
09-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Good idea! And I do have lots of media contact in the area....

Austin
09-04-2009, 05:02 PM
bump

KCIndy
09-04-2009, 10:12 PM
BUMP! BUMP!

Whoo-Hoo! Payday and there's still a little left after killing some bills.

I'm tossing in $40 more... maybe it'll help buy some hot dogs or something! :D

What do you say, folks? Anyone else able to toss in an extra five or ten bucks via PayPal? Politics ain't cheap - and with a few more donations maybe we can upgrade Gunny from hot dogs to bratwurst! :cool:

tangent4ronpaul
09-04-2009, 10:47 PM
BUMP! BUMP!

Whoo-Hoo! Payday and there's still a little left after killing some bills.

I'm tossing in $40 more... maybe it'll help buy some hot dogs or something! :D

What do you say, folks? Anyone else able to toss in an extra five or ten bucks via PayPal? Politics ain't cheap - and with a few more donations maybe we can upgrade Gunny from hot dogs to bratwurst! :cool:

Thank you KCIndy! - every little bit counts! So the guy got a major donation - that does not mean he is set! - keep donating! It's the little ones that really add up and he needs money right now!

-t

KCIndy
09-05-2009, 12:33 AM
- keep donating! It's the little ones that really add up and he needs money right now!

-t

Agreed!!

In any election, name recognition counts for an awful lot. NOW is the time to get a campaign rolling.

Come on, people! How 'bout five or ten bucks? Anyone can afford that.

GunnyFreedom
09-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Thanks guys, and thanks again KCIndy! I'll get the data fwd to me when my treasurer gets up today, but we're both headed straight for this big littleton gaston festival they have every year in the northern section of my district. The Halifax County GOP is going to let me operate out of their booth, and this is in the heart of the area I need to reach; so it's crucially important for me to be there.

Just to add to the point that tangent and KC have made, I'll copy a screenshot from some budget work I have been doing for the whole 18 month campaign:

http://glenbradley.net/files/18monthBudgetsnap.gif

As you can see, a preliminary listing of materials, exenses, and advertising comes to a shade over $25,000...and if I have to get those materials in tiny little bits and pieces it will easily cost twice that.

In today's world, sadly, it takes real money to get the message out. As of right now, I am maintaining an 18-month goal of $30,000 -- but planning for both contingencies of getting only $10,000 and for getting as much as $80,000

My Dem Opponent is well funded, and may spend as much as $100,000 in the campaign. The special interests which keep her in office are certainly willing to pony up the dough to keep her voting their way.

I haven't dated a time-line yet as to when specifically I will need how much, just the overall 18 month picture so far.

Apparently, due in large part to McCain-Fiengold Campaign Finance Reform :rolleyes: campaign costs have been skyrocketing, and the Dems have been leading the way in making up the difference with lobbyist payouts. A winning US Congressional GENERAL election campaign (not even including the primary) cost $500,000 about a decade ago, now costs over $2 Million.

The same thing is happening in State races thanks to modeling the McCain Feingold nonsense in the several states. What used to be $20,000 only 5 years ago is now brushing $100,000. (Gee thanks John McCain. I knew we could always count on you to step up for he little guy!)

So it seems to me that as the liberals (of progressive Dem and neocon Rep flavor alike) seek to consolidate their hold on power, they are intentionally using crooked means and government power to jack up the costs of campaigning so that only those who take lobbyist money and vote for lobbyist interests will ever get elected.

This is something we have to put a stop to right now.

My fear is, if we wait too long to force our way in and start making serious changes, then nobody of good conscience will EVER be able to raise the money needed to win.

I sincerely believe that unless we do something RIGHT NOW then in another 10 years it will cost over a million for a dinky little state house campaign like mine, over $50 Million for a US Congress run, and then then there will be ZERO chance of anybody like us breaking into the system to change it from within.

We have a window of opportunity RIGHT NOW, but we have to step up and seize it before it closes.

KCIndy
09-07-2009, 12:48 AM
So it seems to me that as the liberals (of progressive Dem and neocon Rep flavor alike) seek to consolidate their hold on power, they are intentionally using crooked means and government power to jack up the costs of campaigning so that only those who take lobbyist money and vote for lobbyist interests will ever get elected.

This is something we have to put a stop to right now.

My fear is, if we wait too long to force our way in and start making serious changes, then nobody of good conscience will EVER be able to raise the money needed to win.

I sincerely believe that unless we do something RIGHT NOW then in another 10 years it will cost over a million for a dinky little state house campaign like mine, over $50 Million for a US Congress run, and then then there will be ZERO chance of anybody like us breaking into the system to change it from within.

We have a window of opportunity RIGHT NOW, but we have to step up and seize it before it closes.

Absolutely agree!

The time is now. In fact, the time MUST be now.

So I'll BUMP this post once again, and once again ask the question of anyone who reads this: What is our freedom worth? In the history of the United States, there have been millions of Americans who have asked that question of themselves, and decided the answer was to risk their very life in the defense of freedom. Hundreds of thousands did indeed pay the price of their life.

Right now, I'm convinced that we are watching our freedoms and liberties slipping away, one after the other. I'm convinced that slide is accelerating. Our one last peaceful chance to reverse this slide is to put freedom loving Constitutionalists into office at local, state, and federal levels.

Isn't that worth a few lousy bucks? Stop and think about the freedoms you have enjoyed as a citizen of this country. I know it sounds trite and is overused, but U.S. citizens really did give their lives in defense of those freedoms.

At what point in time did those freedoms become worth less to you than the cost of a pizza dinner?

GunnyFreedom
09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I know for some it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I specifically picked State House because I think (at least for the next 2-4 years) the best impact for us will be in the State Assemblies.

Remember that according to the Constitutional Order, the State's assemblies should have more power than the US Congress. That's one reason why the movement for the constitutionalist reform of government should begin at the state level.

Also, it is easier to exploit an almost adversarial interaction with State and Fed to say, "we in the NC General Assembly need to pass this Act to prevent the US Congress from taking over our State's legislative processes!" At the Federal level, you don't really have that lever to exploit.

And as we know and are confident of, a return tot he Constitutional Order is a return to prosperity. Therefore as one state restores the Constitutional order and becomes wealthier, then tho other states will seek to model those reforms so that they, too, can become wealthier. f course, they will inadvertently be restoring the Constitutional Order simply by modeling the first state's reforms.

Then as the numbers of states build up who have affected these reforms, and become wealthier as a restult, THEN the major pressure wll be on Washington DC to affect those similar reforms at the national level.

I picked State House, because I believe that the strategy to restore the Republic will best begin at State Level. It doesn't hurt, of course, that a State House race (should be) easier to fund than a US Congressional race. US Congress would need around $2Mil. State House should be won with $100K. Not only is that less money overall, that is LESS MONEY PER VOTER by a wide margin.

So the bang for the buck is also a lot heavier at the State House level.

KCIndy
09-08-2009, 03:26 AM
Bump!

Bump!!

BUMP!!!

GunnyFreedom
09-09-2009, 04:16 AM
Bump!

Bump!!

BUMP!!!

Definitely appreciate the effort, but other than the first burst of donors on that first 48 hours (and then your re-up on the 5th) The RPF'ers seem to be completely ignoring this. For you, and the rest of those who gave -- especially Cowlsey -- I can't thank you enough for helping to make this happen. As for the rest of the RPF's, I'm guessing they either do not support my running, just don't care, or they think I can finagle $10,000 worth of materials and $10,000 worth of media with my winning smile alone and some random pocket lint.

Maybe Dr Paul didn't actually cure their apathy, but just sent it into a temporary 12 month remission? Well, at least he actually cured mine. :) I'm in this until November whether my campaign gets funded or not. If nothing else at least I may be able to pick up a few people on the Canvass and at least get them to understand that the problem comes from ignoring the Constitution, not from electing the 'wrong' party.

I do appreciate your effort at bumping this thread, I appreciate it a LOT, but I sure don't want to see you working your heart out on this for everybody to just ignore it. That's not fair to you. The last donor I had from RPF's (unless the gentleman from Garner NC posts on here, which I doubt, and I know all my other donors since then from the 2008 campaign -- most of whom are unemployed nor underemployed ow and giving up FOOD and RENT to help my campaign) was you, on the 5th of September. I think that's pretty telling given you've bumped the thread pretty much every day...

I would have thought that after Cowlesy's amazing donation of $750 it would be easy for 100 RPF'ers to give just $10 each -- but it appears I am going to have to do the rest of this by trying to get most of the remainder of my funding from McCain-supporting Republicans, and Ron Paul -hating establishment types. You know, the ones I pissed off by winning office and influence in the GOP against their focused efforts to shut me out?

Yes, the very people I pissed off by winning party office and rallying the grassroots against the GOP establishment, will be the ones I have to rely on for a pretty big chunk of funding. Funny and ironic how that works out, isn't it? I guess this is why it's a bad idea to buck the establishment.

wish me luck! :)

tangent4ronpaul
09-09-2009, 04:21 AM
I wish you luck!

How many state house positions are there? Just thinking back of the envelope....

You may be on to something here....

After all, the sheriff is the law of tha land and and our state officials are probably WORSE than the fed gov!

-t

ryan09
09-09-2009, 04:29 AM
Glen
Sorry I'm late to the party, but the generosity of some of the forum members is great. Also, your graphic design (signs & stickers) are top notch and look very professional. I can't donate money now, but hopefully I can give you tips. Please don't be insulted if you've already thought of it but I just wanted to give you some things to ponder.

1. Yard Signs- I would not hand ANY yard signs until the spring and maybe a little earlier if you're going to have a primary opponent. Here's why, over the winter the signs will iced, snowed, and who knows what elsed on.... you'll have to replace all of them. During the spring/summer these signs will be moved because they have to mowed around. Also, with Halloween approaching what kids would not love a campaign sign in an off year. Finally, the point of yard signs is for your name to stick out... if the sign is there for over 12 months it will become part of the drive ala a mailbox by the time people need to remember your name.

2. Money- There are some PAC's that assist in a states house/senate campaign races. These can be sponsored by the state parties, individual groups, and Campaign Committees. Here, in Indiana the HRCC donates hundreds of thousands to candidates. I would recommend doing some research on these groups. Also, I noticed you were part of the party leadership. You can use your position to get donation lists, volunteer rolls, and possibly e-mail addresses.

3. Budget- I noticed that some of your bigger expenses were for "swag" like bookmarks and pocket constitutions. I would recommend that you save that money and put it into volunteer acknowledgment (T-shirts, a party or two, special gifts, etc). I can understand your motive to pass out pocket constitutions, but the cost benefit is low compared to more media/volunteer retention/canvassing.

I was looking at your district and noticed that R's are outnumbered almost 2:1 to D's. You'll have your work cut out for you, but nothing worth doing is ever easy. I hope that I gave you something to think about (you can lie to me too) and I'll be more than happy to help. Also, I don't want to insult your intelligence so if you've already thought of most of these things I'll respectfully submit it for others who might not.

Good Luck!

GunnyFreedom
09-09-2009, 04:31 AM
I wish you luck!

How many state house positions are there? Just thinking back of the envelope....

You may be on to something here....

After all, the sheriff is the law of tha land and and our state officials are probably WORSE than the fed gov!

-t

There are 120 seats in the NC State House. And yes, I firmly believe that the State Assemblies have more power to restore the Constitutional Order than the US Congress any day of the week. After all, the CONSTITUTION puts that power into the hands of the several State's assemblies through this little thing called the 10th Amendment.

It is easier to get elected to State House, and it's one heck of a lot cheaper. If it takes $2 Million on average to win a US Congress seat today, that's $26 Million for the entire NC Congressional Delegation. Divided by 120 equals $217,000 per house district. Which, even on a PER VOTER BASIS costs more than twice what a winning State House campaign costs, being at MOST $100,000.

So not only does a US Congress race cost an order of magnitude more /overall/, it costs more than twice as much PER VOTER; and it's the STATE assemblies that the Constitution actually gives the power to restore the Constitutional Order.

I thought the choice was rather clear myself. :)

GunnyFreedom
09-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Glen
Sorry I'm late to the party, but the generosity of some of the forum members is great. I can't donate money nows, but hopefully I can give you tips. Please don't be insulted if you've already thought of it but I just wanted to give you some things to ponder.

1. Yard Signs- I would not hand ANY yard signs until the spring and maybe a little earlier if you're going to have a primary opponent. Here's why, over the winter the signs will iced, snowed, and who knows what elsed on.... you'll have to replace all of them. During the spring/summer these signs will be moved because they have to mowed around. Also, with Halloween approaching what kids would not love a campaign sign in an off year. Finally, the point of yard signs is for your name to stick out... if the sign is there for over 12 months it will become part of the drive ala a mailbox by the time people need to remember your name.

2. Money- There are some PAC's that assist in a states house/senate campaign races. These can be sponsored by the state parties, individual groups, and Campaign Committees. Here, in Indiana the HRCC donates hundreds of thousands to candidates. I would recommend doing some research on these groups. Also, I noticed you were part of the party leadership. You can use your position to get donation lists, volunteer rolls, and possibly e-mail addresses.

3. Budget- I noticed that some of your bigger expenses were for "swag" like bookmarks and pocket constitutions. I would recommend that you save that money and put it into volunteer acknowledgment (T-shirts, a party or two, special gifts, etc). I can understand your motive to pass out pocket constitutions, but the cost benefit is low compared to more media/volunteer retention/canvassing.

I was looking at your district and noticed that R's are outnumbered almost 2:1 to D's. You'll have your work cut out for you, but nothing worth doing is every easy. I hope that I gave you something to think about (you can lie to me too). Also, I don't want to insult your intelligence so if you've already thought of most of these things I'll respectfully submit it for others who might not.

I really appreciate what you have said, and I agree with pretty much all of it. I am not looking at a huge yardsign purchase or to get too many Constitutions right now. Most of the materials I am focusing on at the moment are for the purposes of building up my base of activists.

So far, my campaign has been very well received by the ordinary everyday people of my district. It seems as if someone on a mission to restore the Constitutional Order is someone most of these people have been waiting a lifetime to vote for. So at the end of the day the whole effort is to get the message into every household in the district.

The way to do that is with motivated and dedicated volunteers.

You are right, that without a primary challenger, the major push for signs and materials should be in the Spring. What signs and materials I am working on right now are not to collect voters come November, but rather to collect activist volunteers to help me work the campaign next year.

I will certainly have to look more deeply at the PAC's, but many of them -- at least the ones who do the funding -- are the ones who supported McCain and rejected Paul in 2008. So I am thinking my selection there will be somewhat limited.

I really do appreciate every ounce of advice you or anybody can give. Some things I know - for instance, every campaign is won or lost on the canvass. full stop.

Yard signs don't win an election, all they can to is help motivate the canvassers who DO win the election (this I think was our fatal flaw in 2008 - too much sign waving and not enough canvassing). Handbills and Slimjims don't win an election, they only seed the ground for the canvassers to come in and water and till. Events and parties don't win elections, they just energize the canvassers who do.

Right now I have 20 canvassers ready to go. I would like 100 to win. I am completely confident that if I can get 100 canvassers during the last 6 months before the election to actually work the canvass and go door to door explaining the Constitutionalist platform, and exactly HOW I am going to go about affecting the sorts of reforms that will restore the Constitutuonal Order, I should win hands down.

With regard to registrations, you have to understand that Southern Democrats are unique, and NC in specific is even MORE unique. Most Dems in the South are Blue Dogs, and in NC, a HUGE number of Constitutionalists and otherwise conservatives will be unaffiliated or Democrat. You can't run for office as a Dem around here without being ingratiated to the liberal progressives in charge, and a lot of conservatives and Constitutionalists have gone unaffiliated out of historic disgust for the GOP.

To get a clear picture of a race in NC, you can't compare R's and D's. You have to compare D's to R's PLUS U's. Franklin County, for instance, with a similar gap had one of the smallest margins for any county in the nation for Obama in 2008, despite being registered 2:1 Dem.

What works to get an R elected in NC, is to be a REAL conservative or a REAL Constitutionalist, and convincing the voters that you are honest, sincere, and not a con man like all the rest of the politicians who get into office and ignore whatever they said to get elected.

The examples are everywhere in the state. Walter Jones, Virginia Foxx, for instance, very very close to Ron Paul wrt voting record, are in no danger whatsoever. Richard Burr, however, being wishy-washy on some of the conservative issues is in danger of losing some of his blue dog support.

So when looking at numbers in NC, remember that 75% of the Unaffiliateds are really conservatives too disgusted with the GOP to register with them, and 25% of Dems are conservatives who vote for Republicans in a heartbeat, but can never forgive Lincoln for the Civil War long enough to register GOP.

ryan09
09-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Some more quick things.

1. I would recommend a book to you. It's called the Campaign Manager, you can probably get it at your local library. It goes over the process, some theories, and strategies for running a campaign. One of the thing the book suggests is to have a campaign manager. The author suggests having a teacher or someone of similar makeup help run your campaign. Obviously, this is your campaign and the final decisions come from you, but it's always nice to have a second thought.

2. If you haven't already you should establish a vote total or goal. This is usually a composite of past turnout percentage multiplied by registered voters multiplied by 51%. This will give you a guide post as to what you'll need to win. You can also do some more data analysis by averaging your opponents vote total for the last couple of elections. I know that there are a lot of people moving to NC is your area one of them? If so, start registering some of those voters. You can find them by:
-Hitting up new subdivsions
-Checking out the new utility subscribers

3. Find out if there are any campaign/candidate schools and/or training sessions in your area or around. You'll learn a lot from these. One is the Leadership Institute ( I don't know the age group of these classes but you can check it out) They have campaign management seminars.

I have some more stuff, which I'll post later... until then.

PBrady
09-09-2009, 09:09 AM
The last donor I had from RPF's (unless the gentleman from Garner NC posts on here, which I doubt,

That was me. I used to be "active" here (and by active, I mean lurk a lot), and then I took a hiatus for the past couple of months. I just started coming back and browsing in the past few weeks.

I'm at NC State (part time - long story) right now, and have quite a bit of free time. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of money at the moment. I may be able to make a trip or two up to your district in the next few weeks/months to help out if need be. I might be able to be more active come springtime (though, I will also hopefully be full time by then).

One suggestion I have is to try and get support from the College Republicans on the NC State campus (and possibly others). I'm fairly certain BJ Lawson got one of the local school's (NC State? UNC? Duke?) Republican groups endorsement, for what it's worth, last election. Plus, free labor!

Their links:
http://www.ncsu.edu/sorc/myOrgs/details.php?id=408
http://www.ncsucr.org/

EDIT: After perusing a bit, it appears a couple of them have "in's" with some GOP members in the state house.

GunnyFreedom
09-09-2009, 05:41 PM
That was me. I used to be "active" here (and by active, I mean lurk a lot), and then I took a hiatus for the past couple of months. I just started coming back and browsing in the past few weeks.

I'm at NC State (part time - long story) right now, and have quite a bit of free time. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of money at the moment. I may be able to make a trip or two up to your district in the next few weeks/months to help out if need be. I might be able to be more active come springtime (though, I will also hopefully be full time by then).

One suggestion I have is to try and get support from the College Republicans on the NC State campus (and possibly others). I'm fairly certain BJ Lawson got one of the local school's (NC State? UNC? Duke?) Republican groups endorsement, for what it's worth, last election. Plus, free labor!

Their links:
http://www.ncsu.edu/sorc/myOrgs/details.php?id=408
http://www.ncsucr.org/

EDIT: After perusing a bit, it appears a couple of them have "in's" with some GOP members in the state house.

Thanks Brady!

I'll respond in more detail to this and the previous post, but for now I have no choice but to undergo the torture of listening to the President's speech tonight. Given that I will be having to address these points amongst the electorate for the next 3 months, I sort of have to know what the man is saying. I think I'm going to be sick. wish me luck! ;)

Cowlesy
09-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Definitely appreciate the effort, but other than the first burst of donors on that first 48 hours (and then your re-up on the 5th) The RPF'ers seem to be completely ignoring this. For you, and the rest of those who gave -- especially Cowlsey -- I can't thank you enough for helping to make this happen. As for the rest of the RPF's, I'm guessing they either do not support my running, just don't care, or they think I can finagle $10,000 worth of materials and $10,000 worth of media with my winning smile alone and some random pocket lint.

Glen if I had to take a guess, I think that most forum members want to see the results of your kickoff event before they consider opening up mostly depleted discretionary funds for another race since the kickoff event is funded.

As we all know this forum isn't a bank, and for a race to truly succeed, a significant portion of the donor/activist base have to be homegrown folks, in my opinion.

I was pumped to see you have 20 activists ready to canvass -- awesome! Have you contacted the county and state party chairpeople to let them know about your race, and what your ideas are? Maybe reaching out a hand on a strongly conservative platform will win you some friends to help you explore fundraising in the race? Once you have the successful kickoff event, perhaps you can email pictures to demonstrate local support, not to mention that you're taking it seriously and have already started getting supplies ready.

Coupling your message with demonstrated evidence of a legitimate campaign packaged enthusiastically could interest the party folks. The hacks probably support many of your views, and once you win, you can work within the party to help them explore the rest of our ideas that we may not always see eye-to-eye.

GunnyFreedom
09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Glen if I had to take a guess, I think that most forum members want to see the results of your kickoff event before they consider opening up mostly depleted discretionary funds for another race since the kickoff event is funded.

As we all know this forum isn't a bank, and for a race to truly succeed, a significant portion of the donor/activist base have to be homegrown folks, in my opinion.

I was pumped to see you have 20 activists ready to canvass -- awesome! Have you contacted the county and state party chairpeople to let them know about your race, and what your ideas are? Maybe reaching out a hand on a strongly conservative platform will win you some friends to help you explore fundraising in the race? Once you have the successful kickoff event, perhaps you can email pictures to demonstrate local support, not to mention that you're taking it seriously and have already started getting supplies ready.

Coupling your message with demonstrated evidence of a legitimate campaign packaged enthusiastically could interest the party folks. The hacks probably support many of your views, and once you win, you can work within the party to help them explore the rest of our ideas that we may not always see eye-to-eye.

Fortunately, the local donors are starting to pick up, so that's a good thing. And since the kickoff is funded, thank you, I am certainly not spending a lot of time on here bumping this.

As to the county and state chairpeople, I am the 1st Vice Chair of my county, so my county is 100% behind this. The county webmaster is only waiting for my professional site to come out of development before he links me. With regard to the state party, I have been told by the house caucus liaison that while my district is on their radar, I I won't be getting any campaign funds from the state party as they do not have enough funds to give out but to the the 5 critical races, and I am only in the top 20.

However, the state party has said that they will provide all the non-material help they can (whatever that means) and anecdotally I have noticed that all the 'party hacks' who hated me in 2008, tolerated me through the 2009 convention cycle, love me to death now. Part of that I think has to do with this gigantic grassroots conflab we recently had at state HQ. The 3-4 biggest grassroots tea party people in the whole triangle region came to the HQ for a conference, and the state chair seemed shocked when they all knew me by name and greeted me as a friend...

So I not only have local grassroots support, I have regional grassroots support, I have local party GOP STRONG support, great support from the 1st congressional District GOP, good support from the 2nd congressional district GOP, and OK support from the state GOP at this time.

Somehow I have managed to bridge a grassroots-GOP establishment divide to get support from both ends.

Honestly, major campaign work for a State House run does not normally kick into high gear until the spring.

As of now, I am looking at maybe 50 people coming to this kickoff. with the phonebanking I am organizing now (we have 8 people phonebanking right now, that will be 10 by Friday night) with the phonebanking, I would like to bump attendance up to near 100 people.

And you are absolutely right -- pictures and video from this event will have a tremendous impact.

I am spending the vast majority of my time gathering materials and attaining supporters and volunteers, and inviting people to this kickoff. I am hardly spending 1-2% of my time worrying about funding right now -- which without your help would have been more like 80%.

The stickers are on their way, the button press is on it's way, the signs had too long of a lead time from when the PayPal deposit hit the account, so I went with a local shop and had just 5 demonstration signs made for the event, but for the major work going forward, signsonthecheap.com by far has the best deal of anybody I have found. An order as small as 50 signs in 18x24 is only $3.25 each, but since I won't be getting the 50 in time for the kickoff I'll be holding out to fund 250 signs from that vendor.

I have campaign handbills already in hand, and I am working on platform handouts and my strategy for once elected handouts now.

The GOP in 1st District, 2nd District, Franklin County, and possibly Nash County will be linking my site just as soon as it is up. Halifax does not even really have a site, but I'm working with them also.

I just tonight returned from the Franklin County monthly GOP meeting, where I received 3 more volunteers. I think by mid-late February when this thing goes into full gear I should have 20 phonebankers and 50 canvassers. Much of THAT will depend on how well this kickoff goes on the 17th. :)

Cowlesy
09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
w00t!!!!!!

Great update!

Anti Federalist
09-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Call me stupid, I missed this thread entirely.

I'm in for $100

GunnyFreedom
09-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Call me stupid, I missed this thread entirely.

I'm in for $100

Wow thanks Anti-Fed! Since my treasurer is a 62 year old Republican who goes to bed at a reasonable hour (unlike me or just about anybody I know), I won't get the notice on this until the morning. My gratitude e-mails go out when I get the notices.

But I appreciate it, and I think the nation does too -- I really believe that we can do more to restore the Constitutional Order from the State Houses than we can from US Congress right now. Much of the plan is to affect the kinds of reforms that restore liberty and prosperity to a state in such a way that the surrounding states emulate us to get the same prosperity. That creates this grassroots brushfire thing that then pressures the US Congress to act.

So depending on how fast I get the "Freedom Act Agenda" pushed through the NC House, I just might be up for US House come 2014 or 2016. to be ready to 'catch' that pressure and agitate from the inside. :D

You guys rock the house!

(oh, and I hope I never get 'good' at asking people for money. It may be a required part of politics, but I prefer making my own money. I know it's impossible to do that for a political campaign, I know that this is the way it has to be done, doesn't mean I have to like this part of it...)

Anti Federalist
09-10-2009, 08:57 PM
No need to wait to the morning Glen.

You sent a payment of $100.00 USD to Committee to Elect Glen Bradley.
This charge will appear on your credit card statement as payment to PAYPAL *COMMITTEEEL.
Merchant information
Committee to Elect Glen Bradley
treasurer@glenbradley.net
http://nchouse49.ning.com
919-272-7168 Description Unit price Qty Amount
Donation for: Committee to Elect Glen Bradley for NC House 49
Donor: xxxxxx
$100.00 USD 1 $100.00 USD
Insurance: ----
Total: $100.00 USD

Glad to assist, you know that.

Anti Federalist
09-11-2009, 08:37 PM
bump for Glen

Cowlesy
09-14-2009, 12:42 PM
bump for Glen

//

Cowlesy
09-16-2009, 12:43 PM
bump for Glen

Bump for the big day tomorrow!

GunnyFreedom
09-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Awesome! Got all my stuff, hoping for a break in the rain around 3PM (Radar looks promising) and ready to kick the bums out on Constitution Day! Stand by today for pictured of the shwag!

GunnyFreedom
09-17-2009, 07:57 PM
We had a great kickoff event! The Vice-Chair of the NC State Republican Party, Dr Tim Johnson showed up, and while the attendance was a little less than expected (12 people) I now have all kinds of material to campaign with, and the support (14 months out from the election) was passionate.

In fact, one gentleman showed up from New York, just in the area looking at houses in preparation to move into the area, who generally votes Democrat and was very much welcomed. Because we offered positive, proactive solutions instead of empty rhetoric and vicious attacks, I believe the gentleman was impressed, and possibly for the first time in his life actually considering a vote for a Republican.

The location was about an hour from ANYTHING, but central to my very gerrymandered district. 2 hours from where most people work in Raleigh, on a Thursday, and held during a break in a heavy rainfall, the attendance was not bad at all.

The speech was impromptu and sort of just happened, so I didn't have the video prepped. But I got lots of pictures which will be posted below shortly....

tangent4ronpaul
09-17-2009, 08:10 PM
try to do it again in Raleigh.

-t

GunnyFreedom
09-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Apparently, I learned that one of the "big sticks" in the NC GOP, Fred Smith, held a kickoff once expecting 150 people and only 7 arrived, and that was a successful year for him. I expected 25 and got 12, so not only was my ratio way higher, but my hard count also.

Picked up two more phonebankers and 2 more canvassers, which puts my phonebank up to 8 people, and my canvas up to 22.

We have 75 Constitutions with the label, not quite 200 buttons, 5000 stickers, 36 packs of gum, 5000 business cards, 1000 platforms, 1000 half-page handouts, 5 t-shirts, and 5 yardsign mockups. With all of this, we also got a microphone to use on my amp to create a PA system, got food drinks and snacks for 30 people, and still have some funds left to push into the campaign with most of these materials.

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/schwag1.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/schwag2.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/schwag3.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/schwag4.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/schwag5.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/schwag6.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/schwag7.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/schwag8.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/schwag9.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/button1.jpg

GunnyFreedom
09-17-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/constitutions1.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/gum1.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/gum2.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/gum3.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/platforms.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/signmockup1.jpg

GunnyFreedom
09-17-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/people1.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/people2.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/people3.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/people4.jpg

http://www.glenbradley.net/files/kickoff/event/people5.jpg

GunnyFreedom
09-17-2009, 08:51 PM
try to do it again in Raleigh.

-t

Unfortunately, Raleigh is 2.5 hours from my most crucial precincts. Like I said, we are gerrymandered to all get out. Plus, to rent such a space in or around Raleigh may well have been closer to $360 instead of $36.

The next such event will probably be around Bunn or Lake Royale, which would be a lot lot easier to attend, but I will absolutely hold another event, if not three more events in this location by November.

This location is really not that bad for a weekend event, and it is less than 20 miles from the place where liberty was born for all of America. Halifax Courthouse, April 12th 1775. ;)

Plus, I just got an e-mail from Keith Shearon, who has run the last 2 times in this district, to offer help -- and he has people in the Roanoke Rapids area, who will greatly appreciate not having to drive 3 hours to an event. RR is a city I desperately need.

I am more positive than ever about this district. And with good reason. 8-) It's like all these little things are falling into place, almost by magic...

GunnyFreedom
09-17-2009, 09:01 PM
I am very hot on an idea, and I will need as much help as I can possibly get on this one guys.

This area is a hidden hotbed of Constitutionalism, I kid you not. The only problem I have around here is NOT trying to explain what constitutionalism is, NOT trying to convince people that we need it, but rather convincing people that I actually mean what I say -- because they have been burned all to often.

Therefore, I want to do a huge celebration for Halifax Resolved Day.

Although the day itself (April 12th) falls on a Monday, I would be looking at Saturday, April 10th, at the Halifax Courthouse NC - the birthplace of American Independence - to bring people in their thousands to meet Ron Paul.

The idea is still in seed form, but honestly just a single visit and speech on a Saturday, April 10th 2010 would blow my district completely out.

I have no idea what needs to be done to even ask Dr Paul to come speak on April 10th 2010, but if we can set this up, I can guarantee a huge turnout.

Anybody know how to schedule Dr Paul to come speak?

Imperial
09-17-2009, 09:49 PM
I'd suggest either A) roadtrip to his DC office when he is there or B) call the CFL or a DC office. Or C) get in touch with someone who can get to Ron Paul (but you have to do this very early- chains like this are notoriously unreliable). A is the best bet, B would work, C is fine for early efforts but unreliable.

tangent4ronpaul
09-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Anybody know how to schedule Dr Paul to come speak?

Call 202-223-2831 and ask to talk to his scheduler: Jennifer Bailey. However, as a first step, I'd suggest calling that same number and talking to his Chief of Staff: Tom Lizardo about the possibility of getting Dr. Paul to endorse your campaign. If he will endorse you, your chances of getting him to come out are much better.

Waiting for a reply to either type of request will make watching paint dry seem lightning fast! Don't call often asking for updates - you'll just annoy them, and don't expect anything to happen "soon"...

I don't know if he has ever done this for anyone not running for Federal office.

-t

ps: nice looking campaign goods!

KCIndy
09-18-2009, 02:49 PM
The only problem I have around here is NOT trying to explain what constitutionalism is, NOT trying to convince people that we need it, but rather convincing people that I actually mean what I say -- because they have been burned all to often.

While you're at it, point as many people as you can to these forums and tell them they can check out your record of posts, etc...

P.S. Ditto with Tangent - great looking campaign stuff! :)

GunnyFreedom
10-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Total campaign expenses thus far attached as GIF screenshot of tracking spreadsheet.

The attachment re-formatted from the uploaded GIF to a JPG, and came out way too small to read. I am re-editing to get rid of the attachment. Spreadsheet reposted as a link to the GIF on the next post.

GunnyFreedom
10-29-2009, 06:19 PM
grrr, wait I'll upload to my website and post normally. Standby...

http://glenbradley.net/files/accounts/expenses.gif

dr. hfn
10-29-2009, 06:54 PM
bump!!!

GunnyFreedom
10-29-2009, 07:07 PM
It is my intent to keep up a live tracking account of my campaign expenses. In other words, the most transparent financial disclosure of any NC State House campaign in history.

GunnyFreedom
11-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Even MORE outstanding news!

According to a NC Civitas study found here (http://www.nccivitas.org/n-c-partisan-index-state-house-districts)

NC House District 49 has been one of the fastest movers from 2004 to 2008, having moved 6 points from a +9 point Democrat District in 2004, to a +3 point Democrat district in 2008. That points to the district being one of the most "competitive" races in NC for 2010.

Here is my (basic) campaign plan:

The campaign strategy will focus on splitting the district into 10 basic areas, and hitting each area by month, from January through October.

Each month will be roughly the same. Five days prior to the first weekend in a given month, we will signbomb the target section, litdrop the segment during the week, and then canvass on the 1st, second, and 3rd weekend. On the 4th weekend of the month, we will hold a town hall and invite every citizen in the segment to attend.

After this town hall, we will pull up stakes and move on to the next segment. Signbomb, litdrop canvass, litdrop canvass, litdrop canvass, town hall, move on. Wash, rinse repeat until we hit all 10 sections by October. Saving the last 4 months for the 4 heaviest R sections, coordinating with a GOTV effort in those areas.