PDA

View Full Version : I'm watching the $ counter and thinking

Phenom24
09-28-2007, 07:17 PM
You know, I just went to the grocery store.. Wife's away tonight, so I got some ice cream.. Love Haagen Dazs. Yum. Then I realized something. A month ago, Haagen Dazs, when on sale, was 2 pints for $5.

Now it's 2 for $6.00.

Come to think of it, as I walked around the store, there used to be quite a few things that were 2 for $5 when they were on sale.. Now they suspiciously say "2 for $6.00!"

Hmmm.

You know, it sure would be nice if the Fed stopped printing money and screwing up my (our) buying power. The dollars we're giving to Dr. Paul to push that thermometer up were worth more in July than they are now. That really kind of sucks!! If Dr. Paul gets elected, we wouldn't have to deal with the above sad scenario.

(drops some more $ in Dr. Paul's campaign - it's SO worth it!) Please Dr. P, rescue us from this insanity!!! Can't people see? Why don't they get it? Why do they think Newt or Hillarudy or any of these other blowhards who couldn't pass Econ 101 can save our economy...

I trust that gentleman from Texas. Wonder if he likes Haagen Dazs.

:)

Zydeco
09-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Check out the collapsing dollar:

http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=NYBOT_DX

fsk
09-28-2007, 09:31 PM
The CPI is not a true measure of inflation.

I always wanted to make my own custom-CPI index. I would write down the prices of various items in stores and track them over years. I haven't been disciplined enough to start doing it.

bbachtung
09-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Check out the Mises Institute's:

The CPI is a government statistic, and since the government's expansionary monetary policy creates the inflation, officials have an incentive to underestimate these numbers. Underreporting inflation helps government officials in at least three ways.

First of all, it provides more favorable economic news. Elected officials want to report and take credit for any positive economic announcements.

Second, if the government reports a rate of inflation that is lower than the actual inflation rate, this will increases tax revenues through bracket creep. If the actual inflation rate is 10%, but the measured rate of inflation is 4%, some taxpayers will be pushed into higher tax brackets even though their real income has not increased.

And third, a lower reported inflation statistic reduces government spending by limiting the spending increases that are tied to inflation. The state can take credit for cost of living adjustments that are allegedly keeping up with inflation although in real terms the payments are falling.

My point is that given the incentives facing government officials, we should be reluctant to put any credence in government statistics.

http://www.mises.org/story/2302

ScotTX
09-29-2007, 01:00 AM

I'm pretty sure Ron Paul is a Blue Bell man;)

steph3n
09-29-2007, 01:08 AM
they don't have a blue what blue bell tastes like :)
I really enjoy the 3 for $10 sales recently. Just wish they'd stop wasting perfectly good homemade vanilla shelf space by putting that anniversary cake flavor!

I'm pretty sure Ron Paul is a Blue Bell man;)

JosephTheLibertarian
09-29-2007, 01:10 AM
The CPI is not a true measure of inflation.

I always wanted to make my own custom-CPI index. I would write down the prices of various items in stores and track them over years. I haven't been disciplined enough to start doing it.

just collect coupon papers for the supermarket.. they tend to list the prices of various things on there

buffalokid777
09-29-2007, 02:07 AM
You know, I just went to the grocery store.. Wife's away tonight, so I got some ice cream.. Love Haagen Dazs. Yum. Then I realized something. A month ago, Haagen Dazs, when on sale, was 2 pints for $5.

Now it's 2 for $6.00.

Come to think of it, as I walked around the store, there used to be quite a few things that were 2 for $5 when they were on sale.. Now they suspiciously say "2 for $6.00!"

Hmmm.

You know, it sure would be nice if the Fed stopped printing money and screwing up my (our) buying power. The dollars we're giving to Dr. Paul to push that thermometer up were worth more in July than they are now. That really kind of sucks!! If Dr. Paul gets elected, we wouldn't have to deal with the above sad scenario.

(drops some more $ in Dr. Paul's campaign - it's SO worth it!) Please Dr. P, rescue us from this insanity!!! Can't people see? Why don't they get it? Why do they think Newt or Hillarudy or any of these other blowhards who couldn't pass Econ 101 can save our economy...

Haagen Daaz.....

The BEST Ice cream on the market!

Nice to eat food with no crap in it.......Look at them ingriediants....

Haagan Daaz is the best ice cream out there in the stores from a health standpoint.....

My health pointer for the day...............

DahuiHeeNalu
09-29-2007, 05:45 AM
:) all of us here are well awake heehee thats why we arfe here for the good ole Doctor :D

Corydoras
09-29-2007, 05:47 AM
Gee. Where I live, Haagen-Dazs has been $5/pint forever, and it never goes on sale. Sorry to hear it's gone up to $3/pint on sale for you!

Not meaning to undermine your basic point, which we can all agree with.

Just a little wistful at imagining what it must be like to live where things are so cheap, comparatively speaking.

RonFan1776
09-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Does this sum up how you feel about your country's currency?

http://ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=223887&postcount=39

JosephTheLibertarian
09-29-2007, 05:52 AM
people's taxes just goes to paying off a tiny portion of the debt.... it doesn't pay for any of the programs