PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Debra's race.

Young Paleocon
09-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Is the liberty movement going to be split in the governor race between Medina and Kilgore?

TastyWheat
09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I hope not. Not because that would be bad for us, but because Kilgore's kind of a nutjob.

Imperial
09-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Kilgore said a few months ago he wouldn't split the liberty vote somehow. We'll see if he holds to that or what happens or if Medina drops out or somesuch.

I'd like to see him run for Lieutenant Governor and endorse Medina.

I think the bigger question is will Kinky Friedman and Medina split votes and deny both the nomination of their respective parties?

TastyWheat
09-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Kilgore said a few months ago he wouldn't split the liberty vote somehow. We'll see if he holds to that or what happens or if Medina drops out or somesuch.

I'd like to see him run for Lieutenant Governor and endorse Medina.

I think the bigger question is will Kinky Friedman and Medina split votes and deny both the nomination of their respective parties?
If Medina gets the Republican nomination I think it's pretty much a guaranteed win for her. Kinky, running as a Democrat, would be the biggest challenge for her in the general election.

Imperial
09-02-2009, 02:05 PM
If Medina gets the Republican nomination I think it's pretty much a guaranteed win for her. Kinky, running as a Democrat, would be the biggest challenge for her in the general election.

Remember she has to get at least 34% of the Republican vote to win. My own family which turned me onto Ron Paul first doesnt even know about her except for a couple of them. Name recognition is a huge challenge to surmount.

jblosser
09-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure where you're getting the 34% number... Texas primaries are majority required, so something in the 20s (or lower, depending on how many end up running) can typically be enough to make it into a run-off, where the dynamics of the race change dramatically and an underfunded candidate has much better odds.

Imperial
09-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Oh yeah, forgot that fact. Kinda important i suppose.

But if there are only three really significant contenders she still has to get into second. Which will be pretty hard and means you have to still get ~30% (other candidates are not going to split that much I think, unless Kilgore were in it and pulled hard from Medina and Perry)