Dianne
09-01-2009, 08:16 AM
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/investigative/Elderly_Couple_Forced_into_St

See full story and video at link above:

Elderly Couple Forced
into State Custody
Published : Tuesday, 25 Aug 2009, 10:22 PM CDT

Becky Oliver
DALLAS - They’re not criminals. They’ve broken no laws. But they’re being held against their will by the State of Texas. Why? It’s a tragic story about what can happen when you are alone in the world and lose control of your rights, your money, and your ability to complain.

Jean and Michael Kidd never imagined their retirement would play out like this. “I feel like I am not in America,” said Michael Kidd. “I can’t believe I have been hi-jacked off the street, virtually from the hospital, and imprisoned,” Kidd told FOX 4.

Michael Kidd and his wife Jean have been living out of a tiny room for months. They have lost control of their money, their home, even their car. They say they’ve been robbed of their dignity and their voice. And who do they say is responsible? The State of Texas.

“It is a shock to our system,” says Kidd. “We are still kind of in a state of shock,” Kidd told Reporter Becky Oliver.

Michael Kidd worked as an engineer at KDFW for 23 years. He retired in 2001 with a pension, retirement account, and social security. Last month, he called the station for help. The Kidds have no children or relatives nearby. In November Michael fell and broke his hip. He was taken to a Plano hospital and into surgery. After a few days, the hospital called the state Adult Protective Services to report Jean had been in the waiting room for days and wasn’t eating. What happened next is a complicated, legal tale told in hundreds of pages of documents filed with the Collin County Probate Court.

Caseworkers paint a picture of two incompetent old people, age 67 and 70, suffering from dementia. Reports say the Kidds have mismanaged their finances and used poor judgment, that Michael is verbally abusive and even attempted to assault Jean. Michael says Jean has memory trouble but denies everything else. A judge determined the Kidds were incapacitated and unable to care for themselves. The state took over the Kidds lives, sent them to the Countryside Nursing Home in Pilot Point, and is now burning through their money to pay for their care.

acptulsa
09-01-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't suppose these 'jounalists' checked the records of Countryside's campaign contributions...

Dianne
09-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Follow Up Story:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/investigative/Elderly_Couples_House_Set_for

State to auction elderly couple's house

rp4prez
09-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Glad to see the state stepping up to the plate and take care of 2 people who are so obviously incapable of taking care of themselves. :rolleyes:

rp4prez
09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Follow Up Story:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/investigative/Elderly_Couples_House_Set_for

State to auction elderly couple's house

Someone should buy it and give it back to them. haha...

Cowlesy
09-01-2009, 09:07 AM
bizarre case

coyote_sprit
09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
bizarre case

Not really, old people get robbed and forced into state custody everyday.

Ninja Homer
09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
This is similar to what my friend's family is going through. His parents retired recently. They have a nice sized life savings, a nice house all paid for, and should have enough to leave an inheritance to their children.

His mother, however, recently developed early-onset Alzheimer's. It went bad faster than they thought it would, and twice she has wandered off on her own. The first time she ended up at a nearby store in tears talking about a variety of stuff, and the people at the store called the police. The second time was after her meds were adjusted, and the doctor's had ok'd everything and said she'd be fine, but then she had a bad episode and she wandered off and they couldn't find her quickly so they called the police. When police are notified like that, they in turn notify protective services.

They have money to retire on, but if they put her in a nursing home, it will burn through their savings very quickly, because it's something like $300,000/year. She's in very good shape physically, she used to go for walks 1-2 hours a day, and she could easily live another 20 years. What they're currently doing is taking 4-hour shifts watching her 24/7. If she keeps wandering off, her husband will be found negligent, and the state will take custody. They'll put her in a nursing home and then bill the husband for it until the savings and house and everything they worked for their whole lives is gone. Even if they give some of their savings to their children as an early inheritance, the state can come back up to 5 years later and take it.

It's a tough situation, that's for sure. On one hand, they should be paying for their own health bills before they become a ward of the state. On the other hand, they paid into medicare and social security their whole lives, but those programs don't come close to covering the bills if one of them needs to go into a nursing home. My friend's mother never wanted to be a burden on anybody, and wanted to leave her children an inheritance, but it's not like they can just let her wander off all the time.

Dianne
09-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Actually this entire matter stinks to me. For $300,000 per year? Sounds like state leadership has a lot of brother in laws and relatives in the assisted living business to mandate charges like that.

I never knew this type of thing existed. It's time to head to the indian reservation.