PDA

View Full Version : Will There Ever Be a School Named After Lysander Spooner?

BuddyRey
08-31-2009, 01:43 PM
It seems as though government schools are almost always named after odious politicians. A Henry Clay Elementary or a Harry Truman High School is never hard to find. But have you ever seen a school named after the great abolitionist and Natural Rights theorist Lysander Spooner? Probably not! But I have a vision of a day in the not-too-distant future when, perhaps after formally seceding from the U.S. government, we'll actually see Lysander Spooner Elementary, Murray Rothbard High, Thomas Woods Parochial Academy, among any and all different permutations for such institutions built on the sanctity of private property and personal liberty.

Maybe even the street names, after the era of glorifying Imperialistic Presidents has ceased, will begin to reflect such a change. How would you like to take a walk down H.L. Mencken Avenue, or cruise down the newly built, non-taxpayer funded F.A. Hayek Expressway with or without your seatbelt on, as reason or whim dictates? A jaunt through Walter Block Park to enjoy the non-squeaky swingset, and the nicely maintained restroom facilities. We've all heard of New York City's famous Rockaway Beach, but one day, punk bands will write songs about Rockwell Beach, where used condoms and medical waste no longer line the shores. :eek:

RSLudlum
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
It would be great. I've been using the Post Office point that's been brought up in the media to give Spooner more exposure every chance I get. I always seem to get back some very good replies/comments.

BuddyRey
08-31-2009, 05:11 PM
It would be great. I've been using the Post Office point that's been brought up in the media to give Spooner more exposure every chance I get. I always seem to get back some very good replies/comments.

Me too! People are astounded to learn that a profit-motivated business (operated by a "greedy capitalist") actually lowered the price of a stamp by several cents!

RSLudlum
08-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Me too! People are astounded to learn that a profit-motivated business (operated by a "greedy capitalist") actually lowered the price of a stamp by several cents!

You mean an antiwar, anti-slavery, northern secession proposing, greedy capitalist actually provided a service for less than the government?? You're kidding right? ;)

BuddyRey
08-31-2009, 08:05 PM
You mean an antiwar, anti-slavery, northern secession proposing, greedy capitalist actually provided a service for less than the government?? You're kidding right? ;)

LOL!

I think there's a similar story regarding John D. Rockefeller and home heating oil. It's sad that his descendants all decided to become lackeys for the state! :(

MRoCkEd
08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
and ron paul's face on several of the competing currencies

Sic Semper Tyrannis
08-31-2009, 08:39 PM
They need a Lysander Spooner University.

disorderlyvision
08-31-2009, 09:32 PM

mport1
08-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Once we get rid of the state I suspect that there will be a lot of schools named after these thinkers who were way ahead of their times.

BuddyRey
09-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Once we get rid of the state I suspect that there will be a lot of schools named after these thinkers who were way ahead of their times.

I love your optimism! I hope getting rid of the state is a matter of "when" and not just "if"! :D

Cowlesy
09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
That guy could grow a hell of a beard.

BuddyRey
05-26-2010, 06:53 AM
That guy could grow a hell of a beard.

Dern tootin'! That's one reason why I've hesitated to purchase a Lysander Spooner T-shirt; I'm too afraid people will mistake his badassly mustachioed countenance for that of Karl Marx. But it might be worth it just to get people asking questions.

Pennsylvania
05-26-2010, 07:00 AM
how much money would it take to get a small school going anyway? I mean with all the money this group donates to candidates, I have no doubt that we could get something off the ground...

BuddyRey
05-26-2010, 07:43 AM
how much money would it take to get a small school going anyway? I mean with all the money this group donates to candidates, I have no doubt that we could get something off the ground...

Heck, the sheer, unmatched fundraising power of this movement on the grassroots level alone could probably fetch us our own private island if enough of us were of a mind to try it. It often saddens me that we're focusing most if not all of our efforts on the political front at the expense of agorist businesses, alternative currencies, underground economic networks, etc. But I can also sympathize with, and respect the fact that my priorities are not necessarily the priorities of others here, and that, time and resources being finite even for our highly motivated group, there just isn't enough out there at this early stage to fund the efforts of the political arm and the civil disobedience and countereconomics arm at the same time.

brandon
05-26-2010, 07:50 AM

Well for starters we would need to hire a group of lawyers to decipher federal, state, and local regulations to determine what would be necessary to make our school "legally permissible."

And we can't discriminate, so I'm sure we will need to build facilities for the handicapped, blind, deaf, learning disabled, emotionally challenged, mentally ill, gifted, average, and whatever else you can think of.

Matt Collins
05-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Isn't deification of humans already a problem for us? (think Lincoln and FDR)

BuddyRey
05-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Isn't deification of humans already a problem for us? (think Lincoln and FDR)

Very true, and I certainly don't want to live in a society that deifies any human being or erects a cult of personality around chosen people. But if a hypothetical future civilization did continue to name schools, roads, libraries, etc. after historical figures, it'd be nice if they weren't all politicians. ;):D