PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party Express

BillyDkid
08-31-2009, 06:38 AM
Okay, I have never been in the loop with this Tea Party thing, but what is this Tea Party Express thing I heard about on NPR this morning? Who are these people? I understand the leader has appointed himself the "head of the spear" and has decided it is his job to herd all we cats. Now, this may be completely laudable and may deserve support, but I am constantly paranoid about the movement - started by Ron Paul and with Dr. Paul at its core - being co-opted. I know this has happened to some degree. There are always people ready to jump in at the front of the parade and proclaim themselves its leader. I don't promote "purity" of the movement, but there are certain fundamental principles that should be non-negotiable.

Sandra
08-31-2009, 06:57 AM
it's run by a staunchly PRO WAR group and reads like a neo con mantra. In the paragraph below, they equate that ending wars would mean all that money spent on them would be diverted to entitlement programs instead of not spent at all. I think we should counter this group.

www.ourcountrydeservesbetter.com

STRONG NATIONAL DEFENSE
We believe America's leaders must understand that peace comes from strength - and that evil (whether it be Islamic jihadism or Russian aggression) must be confronted with toughness and resolve. We support our military men and women and their missions in the War on Terror. We are opposed to the tentative plans currently being discussed that would cut funding of our military. Providing a safe and secure America is one of the few activities that our federal government should be involved in. Instead, some liberals in our government are pushing to take money away from our national defense and use it instead to support more government-run social programs that have proven to be failures in the past. We say, give our troops the funding and equipment they need to do their jobs, and then support them when they are sent off on their missions. We similarly support taking care of our veterans once they have served this nation, providing them with the services, benefits and assistance they need and that they more than deserve.

Sandra
08-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Also notice the very few issues cherry picked to make them appear conservative.

Epic
08-31-2009, 06:59 AM
it's run by a staunchly PRO WAR group and reads like a neo con mantra. In the paragraph below, they equate that ending wars would mean all that money spent on them would be diverted to entitlement programs instead of not spent at all. I think we should counter this group.

www.ourcountrydeservesbetter.com

Yep, total neocons. Still - worth trying to convert some of them!

hamilton1049
08-31-2009, 07:02 AM
It's tough to argue against a strong national defense, the only thing I'm at odds with is the "confronting" part. I don't see what harm it could do to use the crowd to display more liberty oriented signs and messages.

The few Tea Parties I've been to have been pretty receptive, yeah you gotta polish your foreign policy argument, and feed it to em gently, but even if you just get em thinking you done sometthin'.

Sandra
08-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Yep, total neocons. Still - worth trying to convert some of them!

This is not just astro turf, this is a professinal effort. It would be like trying to convince a highly paid bill collector to quit his job because his collection tactics are immoral.

These people have an agenda that is professionally pushed through churches too.

It's time to push the non interventionist ideology that will save this country's light speed plunge into further debt. Tea Party Express is concerned with billions when they encourage and rally behind the spending of TRILLIONS. Something's WAAAAY wrong.

Sandra
08-31-2009, 07:08 AM
The enemy of my enemies is my friend.

Once the bugler has sounded charge the guy in front of you is the leader, if you are in the front you are the leader, if you stop to analyze or even hesitate, to look for some one else to lead, if you are lucky only you die, if it's a really bad day a lot of people die behind you because you held them back.

Translation: Don't pay attention to that guy behind the curtain. No need to vet your leaders, just follow.

acptulsa
08-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Neoconnery? It would seem so. Astroturf? Hell no.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=207969&highlight=express

ScoutsHonor
08-31-2009, 09:03 AM
This is not just astro turf, this is a professinal effort. It would be like trying to convince a highly paid bill collector to quit his job because his collection tactics are immoral.

These people have an agenda that is professionally pushed through churches too.

It's time to push the non interventionist ideology that will save this country's light speed plunge into further debt. Tea Party Express is concerned with billions when they encourage and rally behind the spending of TRILLIONS. Something's WAAAAY wrong.

It's got a catchy name, tho. :rolleyes:

paulitics
08-31-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't know. To me, it looks like an astroturf organization full of neocons.

This is the PACthat funds it. http://www.ourcountrydeservesbetter.com/about/boardandstaff.html

acptulsa
08-31-2009, 09:47 AM
I don't know. To me, it looks like an astroturf organization full of neocons.

Yes, but I still say astroturf isn't the right word. They don't need to create conservative grass roots. They just feel the need to keep it trimmed, edged, greened up, pruned, uniform, under control, and of course keep us weeds pulled.

hamilton1049
08-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Translation: Don't pay attention to that guy behind the curtain. No need to vet your leaders, just follow.

Sorry that was a post for something else altogether unrelated I thought I had deleted it guess it didn't work, wasn't even meant for this forum.

Working 2 computers and 3 screens before my 5th cup of coffee is futile.

Still it's fun to get in there and tweek their noses, and you get to say I told ya so later!

Sandra
08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Sorry that was a post for something else altogether unrelated I thought I had deleted it guess it didn't work, wasn't even meant for this forum.

Working 2 computers and 3 screens before my 5th cup of coffee is futile.

Still it's fun to get in there and tweek their noses, and you get to say I told ya so later!

I do that with cooking forums. Lots of windows open at the same time, :o

BillyDkid
08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
It's tough to argue against a strong national defense, the only thing I'm at odds with is the "confronting" part. I don't see what harm it could do to use the crowd to display more liberty oriented signs and messages.

The few Tea Parties I've been to have been pretty receptive, yeah you gotta polish your foreign policy argument, and feed it to em gently, but even if you just get em thinking you done sometthin'.For the record, I have never encountered anyone who was for a weak national defense. Unless you include those who have used military power capriciously throughout the world to ensure our bankruptcy and to guarantee that we have bitter enemies throughout the entire world indefinitely.

hamilton1049
08-31-2009, 01:54 PM
For the record, I have never encountered anyone who was for a weak national defense. Unless you include those who have used military power capriciously throughout the world to ensure our bankruptcy and to guarantee that we have bitter enemies throughout the entire world indefinitely.

Wow must be time for another coffee break I had to process that a couple times to get it but, Yeah!!!

paulitics
08-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Hannity is now plugging the tea party express.

blueiron
08-31-2009, 04:06 PM
i'll never forget when my teacher asked us if we were going tebagging or if we had heard about the teabaggers. what a laugh we had from her.

for real though, i'd love to teabag many government officials

dr. hfn
08-31-2009, 04:34 PM
take your anti-war message to the March!!!

End the Spending! End the Wars!

Dorfsmith
08-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Just got back from the Flagstaff event. It was neocon city but there were also a lot of us Ron Paul people there. By the time we left there were hundreds of pieces of Campaign For Liberty stuff floating around. We tried to get Ron Paul 2012 and End The Fed signs on Fox when Greta went live to the event. Not sure if we were successful. I'll have to wait for the youtube.

KAYA
08-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Just got back from the Flagstaff event. It was neocon city but there were also a lot of us Ron Paul people there. By the time we left there were hundreds of pieces of Campaign For Liberty stuff floating around. We tried to get Ron Paul 2012 and End The Fed signs on Fox when Greta went live to the event. Not sure if we were successful. I'll have to wait for the youtube.

Yes! I watched the opening of Greta and did see an Audit the Fed and Ron Paul 2012 sign. It was brief but I was able to catch a glimpse.

And I completely agree I have seen the Fox coverage of the "Tea Party Express" and it is indeed neo-con city. But just like opposition to the war converted alot of lefties to Ron Paul's message so will the message of fiscal sanity convert neo-cons.

lx43
08-31-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't personally trust this either, but it does represent fertile ground. C4L people need to be there getting their message out. :)

HenryKnoxFineBooks
08-31-2009, 10:58 PM

Success! I saw it, a white sign with black "Ron Paul 2012". warmed the cockles of my heart. Was right behind Greta's head the whole time.

Dorfsmith
08-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Yes! I watched the opening of Greta and did see an Audit the Fed and Ron Paul 2012 sign. It was brief but I was able to catch a glimpse.

And I completely agree I have seen the Fox coverage of the "Tea Party Express" and it is indeed neo-con city. But just like opposition to the war converted alot of lefties to Ron Paul's message so will the message of fiscal sanity convert neo-cons.

Awesome! Glad the signs showed up even if it was only for a second. :cool:

Dorfsmith
08-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Success! I saw it, a white sign with black "Ron Paul 2012". warmed the cockles of my heart. Was right behind Greta's head the whole time.

Sweet!!!! My wife was holding that one.

Pauls' Revere
08-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Is it the GOP trying to resurect itself? The bridge between neocon and liberty movement? Not sure what to think so I'm stayin with Dr Paul. Has he endorsed this

acptulsa
09-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Is it the GOP trying to resurect itself?

Yes, desperately.

The bridge between neocon and liberty movement?

I would describe it as 'trying to hijack our message to their ends the way they hijacked the evangelical 'Moral Majority' message to their ends fifteen years ago', but I'm sure they'll spin it as bridge building.

Not sure what to think so I'm stayin with Dr Paul. Has he endorsed this

Wise man. Not that I've heard, he hasn't. And I believe they're trying to sell war, so I don't think he will.

kahless
09-01-2009, 07:10 AM
STRONG NATIONAL DEFENSE
We believe America's leaders must understand that peace comes from strength - and that evil (whether it be Islamic jihadism or Russian aggression) must be confronted with toughness and resolve. We support our military men and women and their missions in the War on Terror. We are opposed to the tentative plans currently being discussed that would cut funding of our military. Providing a safe and secure America is one of the few activities that our federal government should be involved in. Instead, some liberals in our government are pushing to take money away from our national defense and use it instead to support more government-run social programs that have proven to be failures in the past. We say, give our troops the funding and equipment they need to do their jobs, and then support them when they are sent off on their missions. We similarly support taking care of our veterans once they have served this nation, providing them with the services, benefits and assistance they need and that they more than deserve.

This quote alone is tough to argue with and is not enough to convince me they are neocons but would not be surprised. There is for example the concern of Pakistan nukes ending up in the wrong hands. If they start talking about being in Iraq or war with Iran then I will be thoroughly convinced. Except for this "Russian aggression"? We are in their backyard, how do we expect the Russians to behave.

This is however a huge concern the Neocons hijacking the movement and the American public buying into it thus voting for the likes of Guiliani or Gingrich in the primaries.

Dorfsmith
09-01-2009, 07:21 AM
This quote alone is tough to argue with and is not enough to convince me they are neocons but would not be surprised. There is for example the concern of Pakistan nukes ending up in the wrong hands. If they start talking about being in Iraq or war with Iran then I will be thoroughly convinced. Except for this "Russian aggression"? We are in their backyard, how do we expect the Russians to behave.

This is however a huge concern the Neocons hijacking the movement and the American public buying into it thus voting for the likes of Guiliani or Gingrich in the primaries.

There were neocons everywhere at the Flagstaff event. I even saw signs supporting Cheney and torture. I didn't actually hear the message of the Tea Party Express. We were too busy working our States' Rights Coalition Of Northern AZ table and handing out Campaign For Liberty stuff.

kahless
09-01-2009, 07:33 AM
There were neocons everywhere at the Flagstaff event. I even saw signs supporting Cheney and torture. I didn't actually hear the message of the Tea Party Express. We were too busy working our States' Rights Coalition Of Northern AZ table and handing out Campaign For Liberty stuff.

I do not know either way but we have allot of nuts on our side that come to our events.

Sandra
09-01-2009, 09:48 AM
They call this adhesive politics. They stick to certain issues even going as far using PR firms to create events to blur ideologies between two distinctly differing groups. It's how an extreme liberal group were labeled "neo cons" instead by adhering to a few strict Constitutional issues, but not all of them. They can use this with technique ANY group.

paulitics
09-01-2009, 10:55 AM
There were neocons everywhere at the Flagstaff event. I even saw signs supporting Cheney and torture.
It's over for this country.

Dorfsmith
09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't feel so guilty about attending now. I just saw that Adam Kokesh is in at the one in New Mexico. :D

kathyet
09-02-2009, 07:47 AM
http://www.teapartyexpress.org/

Here is the site for the Express and its stopps along the way,you can check it out for yourselves to decide what is what.

Kathyet

Cowlesy
09-02-2009, 08:14 AM
I envision next year when a bunch of moron republicans get elected, start expanding government, and all of us facepalm. More of the same.

If we could just get Schiff and Rand in the Senate, that'd be a HUGE check on the two-party machine with these two independent republicans.

acptulsa
09-02-2009, 08:21 AM
If we could just get Schiff and Rand in the Senate, that'd be a HUGE check on the two-party machine with these two independent republicans.

This thought occurred to me years ago--how just a few Libertarians could make a huge difference by voting with the Dems on privacy and rights issues and with the G.O.P. on budgets. I kind of fear that thought was naive, and maybe it is. After all, it was Dubya that oversaw the creation of the biggest bureau ever. But I'm damned if I don't still think it's worth a try!