PDA

View Full Version : Gmail may hand over IP addresses of journalists...

Reason
08-31-2009, 01:07 AM
Gmail may hand over IP addresses of journalists

From Wikileaks

Monday August 31, 2009
By Julian Assange (WikiLeaks)

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Gmail_may_hand_over_IP_addresses_of_journalists

A California court has issued a subpoena (http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Gmail_subpoena_for_the_identities_of_journalists_r unning_the_corruption_busting_TCI_Journal%2C_28_Au g_2009) demanding Google reveal the IP addresses of journalists writing for a corruption busting journal from the Caribbean.

The August 28 subpoena, issued by the Superior Court, County of Santa Clara, as part of a "libel tourism" action taken by non-US property developers, demands detailed information about the operators of "tcijournal@gmail.com".

The account is the main email address of the TCI Journal, the most influential journal covering the Turks & Caicos Islands.

The Islands are a tourist mecca and tax haven in the Caribbean sea, and until August 14 were an independent British protectorate.

Exposures in the Journal culminated in a dramatic UK takeover of the Islands on August 14.

A trail of evidence dug up by the TCI Journal, a UK commission of inquiry, and others, showed that foreign property developers were giving millions in secret loans and payments to senior Islander politicians, including an alleged $500,000 cash payment to the Island's now former Premier, Michael Misick.

The Commission of Inquiry Final Report was released on the 18th of July this year in significatly redacted form.

A full version was released by WikiLeaks.

A High Court case ensued which initially enjoined all media in the Islands from reporting the redacted findings, however within a few days this restriction was overturned.

The Gmail subpeona applicant, property developer Dr. Cem Kinay, along with his two companies, Turks Ltd, and Star Platinum Island, were mentioned several times during public oral hearings of the Commission of Inquiry and featured significantly in the redacted portions of the Commission's Final Report.

In particular there are allegations of bribery of public officials (e.g of the Premier with an irregular payment of $500,000), in the acquisition of public land valued by the government appraiser at approximately $60 - $100 million dollars U.S., for a price of $3.2 million dollars.

On August 14, the UK announced that it had taken direct rule over the Islands and suspended its parliament.

According to the notifying letter from Google to the journal, Google intends to hand over the requested records without defense and suggests that the Journal file a counter-motion with the Santa-Clara court itself.

BenIsForRon
08-31-2009, 02:55 AM
I don't see where the California court can see any libel happening. Looks like TCI Journal just busted some corrupt bankers and politicians.

Reason
09-02-2009, 01:10 AM
bump

InterestedParticipant
09-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Gmail may hand over IP addresses of journalists
The sad part about this is the government already has those IP addresses. The court case is merely a ruse to make securing these IP addresses an overt act rather than a covert one.

Google has never ever been trustworthy. Research the "people" who funded it.

Sandra
09-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Wikileaks? I would look for a better source to see if it's real. Besides , I can't imagine a US court issuing a subpoena for this.

Reason
09-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Wikileaks? I would look for a better source to see if it's real. Besides , I can't imagine a US court issuing a subpoena for this.

lol, on what grounds are you questioning wikileaks' credibility...

Matt Collins
09-02-2009, 07:04 PM
How do they define who is a "journalist"?

Reason
09-02-2009, 07:19 PM
How do they define who is a "journalist"?

Indeed...