PDA

View Full Version : Using fear as a campaign strategy.

RonTaylor
09-28-2007, 04:21 PM
The "Daisy" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_%28television_commercial%29) commercial was way before my time, but I think it is an important thing to think about in this election. The most powerful weapon that the enemies of Liberty have is fear. Fear of the evil drug dealers, fear of the terrorists, fear of not having health insurance, and growing old with no savings.

I think the RP campaign should use fear as well. Show the public is a series of television, and print ads of what we are heading towards. Show them that without our freedoms we REALLY have something to fear from a tyrannical government.

hard@work
09-28-2007, 04:22 PM
There is a much more powerful force at work here, sir.

Hope.

RonTaylor
09-28-2007, 04:24 PM
There is a much more powerful force at work here, sir.

Hope.

And what is that?

Phil M
09-28-2007, 04:24 PM
People won't believe it though. They'll just say, "there's those Ron Paul people being nuts and conspiracy theorists again" (even though it's quite documented by the likes of F.A. Hayek that this is the case). We need to instead show the positives of a free society.

Chester Copperpot
09-28-2007, 04:25 PM
I find it questionable that a Ron Paul supporter would even advocate *FEAR*

Anyways.. the internet is the pathway to the truth... We fear no such thing as daisy commercials.. we've been countering worse every day

RonTaylor
09-28-2007, 04:26 PM
I find it questionable that a Ron Paul supporter would even advocate *FEAR*

Anyways.. the internet is the pathway to the truth... We fear no such thing as daisy commercials.. we've been countering worse every day

you don't fear the coming police state?

Chester Copperpot
09-28-2007, 04:27 PM
you don't fear the coming police state?

We know its coming.. We face it head on.

hard@work
09-28-2007, 04:28 PM
And what is that?

I said it.

http://www.4therapy.com/consumer/life_topics/article/7170/489/Hope+vs.+Fear

micahnelson
09-28-2007, 04:38 PM
I think perhaps it would be good to interject into the public discourse what will happen with our economy soon.

A non interventionist foreign policy is much cheaper, and Ron Paul is already the "We need Sound Money" guy.

If people understood the real nature of our dollar, with the headlines about Gold , Oil, and the Euro- they would be more afraid of the collapse than of terrorists.

BillyDkid
09-28-2007, 05:04 PM
My inclination is toward the hope thing and overcoming the poison that has plagued us for so many years.

paulitics
09-28-2007, 05:31 PM
I think that people need to know that a government takeover is and has always been more of a threat than an invasion from another country. They need to know that they have no habeus corpus, etc. Most people don't realize this. I think you have to splash very cold water on their face or else they will remain asleep, unless they are actively seeking the information, which is a very small minority.

Fear and greed are the 2 strongest emotions. Why do you think the neocons invented the war on terrorism. Why are they labeling Iran a terristic regime?

max
09-28-2007, 05:54 PM
The "Daisy" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_%28television_commercial%29)

I think the RP campaign should use fear as well. Show the public is a series of television, and print ads of what we are heading towards. Show them that without our freedoms we REALLY have something to fear from a tyrannical government.

I totally agree. Unfortunately, I get the impression that RP is too nice to do this.
When Goldwater was attacked with the Daisy ad, some urged him to respond with an ad linking LBJ policies to inner city riots.

Goldwater had too much class to play that game....HE LOST!

The public should be made afraid. I advocate TV commercials showing US coffins...or maybe a piece dealing with illegal immigration related murders and rape..

Preaching hope is OK for some...but fear and negative attacks work. In our case, the fears we would appeal to are REAL.

If HQ intends to put out a bunch of puff piece ads like they did in Iowa...we may as well pack it in now.

SeanEdwards
09-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Ron Paul is totally using fear, as he should. Fear is very powerful.

Fear of an economic crisis brought on by unsound monetary policy.

Fear of a loss of civil liberties.

Fear of a welfare-warfare state grown out of control.

Fear of a loss of national sovereignty.