PDA

View Full Version : Rand sign stolen from yard in Lexington, KY

PeterSchiffVideos
08-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I made a post on here a week or two ago asking about yard signs. A cool member was kind enough to drop some off to my family in Lexington. I got this email from her today.

"I am so mad, someone stole my sign out of my yard. ..., the RP supporter down from me, his was also taken.
mom"

Gonna have to dig up all the old posts of how us RP peeps coated yard signs with criso and other slippery/nasty stuff.

[edit] BTW, the signs were dropped off a few days ago. So they didn't even last a week.

Malachi
08-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I will shoot to kill if anyone touches my sign!

http://www.serbu.com/top/super_shorty_870.jpg

Cowlesy
08-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I will shoot to kill if anyone touches my sign!

http://www.serbu.com/top/super_shorty_870.jpg

lol I hope you're joking.

I think one could be a little creative with some crisco and electric voltage....

Ethek
08-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Oh yeah? I think I remember that nieghborhood.

Malachi
08-30-2009, 07:48 PM
lol I hope you're joking.

I think one could be a little creative with some crisco and electric voltage....

http://goinglocoinyokohama.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/buckwheat-poster-card-c10230417.jpeg

http://www.applebees.ca/sign%20catalogue/signs/Signs%20showing%20the%20various%20kinds%20on%20pag es/protected-by-smith-&-wesson.gif

Brad Zink
08-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Another thing that they could do is set up a video camera inside the house each night, videotaping the sign. Then if it happens again and the person is caught on camera, they could be charged with theft and destruction of private property.

Malachi
08-30-2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.speer-bullets.com/images/Product/CopperPlatedBuckshot.jpg

Cowlesy
08-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Another thing that they could do is set up a video camera inside the house each night, videotaping the sign. Then if it happens again and the person is caught on camera, they could be charged with theft and destruction of private property.

just get a motion-activated game camera --- it'd snap a pic of the offender

RonPaulFanInGA
08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
I think one could be a little creative with some....electric voltage

Hey, if a McCain supporter can zap a young boy attempting to steal his McCain sign, why not?

YouTube - A Shocking Lesson For Kid Stealing McCain Sign (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W54FRb5Vfg)

Cowlesy
08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/bow-near-mini-tee-camera-mount.aspx?a=560873

Matt Collins
08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Ask GunnyFreedom about his sign getting stolen.

JVParkour
08-30-2009, 10:09 PM
lol, unless you have an AR-15, Gunny's solution won't work.... :)

TheTyke
08-30-2009, 10:10 PM
lol, unless you have an AR-15, Gunny's solution won't work.... :)

This is KY! Who doesn't? :D

j/k

Matt Collins
08-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Here is the back story behind this:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=193484

Matt Collins
08-30-2009, 10:25 PM
http://liberty.ohmegacomm.com/host/img/guard1.jpg
http://liberty.ohmegacomm.com/host/img/guard2.jpg

FSP-Rebel
08-30-2009, 10:44 PM
That is hot! AR's turn me on.

coyote_sprit
08-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Make a mixture of crisco and pure capsaicin only need a few drops of the capsaicin because it's so concentrated. Not only will they have trouble taking the sign but the longer they touch the sign the more their hands will become irritated.

hotbrownsauce
08-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Someone took two of my signs a few days ago. I'll lather them up in Crisco next time... what would be good to mix with it that would irritate the skin like capsaicin?

Ethek
08-31-2009, 05:54 AM
Someone took two of my signs a few days ago. I'll lather them up in Crisco next time... what would be good to mix with it that would irritate the skin like capsaicin?

Was this a Rand sign in KY?

GunnyFreedom
08-31-2009, 09:00 AM
http://liberty.ohmegacomm.com/host/img/guard2.jpg

(I'd have kept both pictures if I could have shrunk their display size in BBCode...)

LOL and one of the neighbors even sent the Sheriff after me, but the Sheriff took my side, since it was, after all, my own property.

I'm pretty sure that one of the random strangers I met in front of my yard that day was the Census guy. We had a long talk about the census sign I had tacked on my mailbox, and he seemed extraordinarily relieved when I mentioned "No, I don't think the census workers are the ones collecting the data for nefarious purposes, but once that data is collected it will never be "un" collected, and God only knows what someone will do with it in 5 years, so it's not the actual people going out to collect the data that I don't like." and "No, that's not really a death threat, I have no intention on hurting anybody, but I do consider it a threat against my home, and I surely want the census taker to think twice before ignoring my will. That just makes damn sure that my concerns are considered.

He seemed to agree that it was fair of me to demand that is the Census collects GPS on my property that it be on the mailbox, and about 5 hours after I shut down this "op" it occurred to me that over the course of our TWO HOUR CONVERSATION, this 'random stranger' to my neighborhood had collected all the data he needed for the Census, and could well have triggered his GPS on the road beside my mailbox.

That struck me as funny, because if that were the case he could have been open about it and I would not only not have been angry, I'd have been glad to help. After all, he was following all of my requirements. ;) It wouldn't have taken me so long to figure it out, except mine was the only house he stopped at except the yard sale/open house down at the culdesac. Maybe he came back another day; but I have pretty much been here and never seen anybody else that could have been Census.

WRT the Rand Paul sign -

My method was intended to be used as a demonstration of will against a neighbor pulling the shenanigan. It was more of a statement than anything. If you have some outsider, then my method would only work if you intended to give 60-80 hours a week to doing it until you caught the guy. That's impractical of course.

Stop action cameras like have been suggested are a good idea; but if you are technical minded and have some resources a better idea would be to rig the sign stand with a removal/interrupter switch that sets off a dozen flash-bulbs, a couple cameras, and maybe even a couple sirens and flashing lights. The danger there is from false alarms due to children animals or wind.

You come running out like "WTF is going on here what have you done?" and some guy is weaving around all flash-stunned with a Rand Paul sign hanging limply from one arm. You have everything you need to hold the guy until the police came to take a statement -- if you wanted to do more than just scare him, that is. I'd probably go the route of pretending to hold him while I decided whether to call the cops, not intending to, but putting the "fear of God" into him, at least WRT my property - and making sure that I have all his info in case RP signs kept disappearing around the area, then you could hand him up as a suspect.

Jeremy
08-31-2009, 09:03 AM
If one sign was stolen, put up two. And keep doubling the amount of signs until they stop stealing (or you catch them).

GunnyFreedom
08-31-2009, 09:08 AM
If one sign was stolen, put up two. And keep doubling the amount of signs until they stop stealing (or you catch them).

+1 I did something like this up the road, only I have gone all over the place collecting used signs, so I have a variety.

I had a 1x2 RP sign that lasted a few days and someone absconded it. So I went right back with a 2x4 sign. Someone left it, but broke the stands off. I pulled a crossbar and fixed it. A few days later the sign was there, but the stands were gone. replaced the stands. Next, the sign was gone.

Came back with a 4' by 8' sign and three iron fence-posts that I pounded in with sledgehammers.

That sign stayed up until I took it down post-election. :D :D :D

RyanRSheets
08-31-2009, 10:08 AM

The official signs cost a few bucks each, and I can't imagine homemade signs are a whole lot cheaper, so really I think it would be best to either take steps to catch them in the act or stop putting them up. If we just keep putting them up they're costing us a lot of money and they're sort of accomplishing something in that way. Optimally we'd catch them in the act and have them charged with trespassing and vandalism or theft, but simply throwing more money at it seems wasteful. My suggestion would be that-- as much as it maddens me for these people to just get by with it-- if you can't find a way to catch them in the act, take the money you would spend on another sign and donate it to the campaign. That way, someone with more respectful neighbors can put out a sign that won't get stolen or destroyed.

Jeremy
08-31-2009, 10:13 AM
The official signs cost a few bucks each, and I can't imagine homemade signs are a whole lot cheaper, so really I think it would be best to either take steps to catch them in the act or stop putting them up. If we just keep putting them up they're costing us a lot of money and they're sort of accomplishing something in that way. Optimally we'd catch them in the act and have them charged with trespassing and vandalism or theft, but simply throwing more money at it seems wasteful. My suggestion would be that-- as much as it maddens me for these people to just get by with it-- if you can't find a way to catch them in the act, take the money you would spend on another sign and donate it to the campaign. That way, someone with more respectful neighbors can put out a sign that won't get stolen or destroyed.

But if the sign is stolen you wouldn't want to have the thief win by not putting up another sign.

GunnyFreedom
08-31-2009, 10:16 AM
But if the sign is stolen you wouldn't want to have the thief win by not putting up another sign.

by the 4th sign you are installing sand bags and concertina wire, of course. :D

RyanRSheets
08-31-2009, 10:16 AM

Well if you just keep putting money into more signs, they're winning in the respect of making you spend money on their actions. It's pride versus practicality. I'd feel compelled to keep putting up signs, but unless I was taking steps to catch the jerk I would recognize that it was unfortunately a waste of money.

RyanRSheets
08-31-2009, 10:18 AM
by the 4th sign you are installing sand bags and concertina wire, of course. :D

Paint it on the side of your house imo :P

Ethek
08-31-2009, 10:19 AM

Oddly enough I think the house has a 2x4 Ron sign already visable.. Time to get in some 2x4 Rand signs in?

specsaregood
08-31-2009, 10:41 AM

Another alternative, courtesy of a booby trap thread on gim.

QWAK,Avalon,Some basic CHEMISTRY will solve your problem and MARK the THIEF!

Get your self some "IODINE" cristals and some pharmacy grade AMONIA!:wink: (not the kind of amonia from the grocery store it must be the concitrated stuff)

Put a little Amona in a baby food jar about 1/2 full --- dump in about 1/8th TSP of Iodine crystals and mix well.

The percipitate that setals to the bottom is a VERY unstable CONTACT EXPLOCIVE, which is esencialy HARMLESS!

When WET it will do NOTHING once it dries the slightist touch will make it go off resulting in a purple/brown STAIN that won't come off!

The percipitate is sort of like a paist that can be aplied with a tiney paint brush. A tiney bit the size of a pin head makes a fairly loud BANG and a purple/brown cloud that stains every thing it touches! Scares the HELL out of the THIEF and markes there hands and will NOT WASH OFF!

Only tiney bits of the Amonia triadine will go off at a time and only when totaly dry -- It can be fun to play with puting pin head size portion s in ash trays is always a FUN SUPRISE!

I used this stuff in the Army to catch locker thievs painting it on the back of the pad lock on lockers -- a spray bottle with water will deactivate the stuff so YOU don't set it off.

The stuff does STAIN things -- so be carfull what you aply it to but I garantee it does work and is esencialy harmless as even IF a large amount is applied only a tiny bit will go off at any one time however it will scatter the remaining damp triiodine and when it dries agen the slightist touch will set it off too.

the DUCK

Dreamofunity
08-31-2009, 12:58 PM
I so want to try that booby trap.

FSP-Rebel
08-31-2009, 01:00 PM
The booby trap sounds like a lot of work. I'd rather just cough up the extra money and replace the signs.

Cowlesy
08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
just put a damn $30 game camera in a good location and get a picture of the thief --- no need to get involved in doing something to the person.

Eric21ND
08-31-2009, 01:28 PM
+1 I did something like this up the road, only I have gone all over the place collecting used signs, so I have a variety.

I had a 1x2 RP sign that lasted a few days and someone absconded it. So I went right back with a 2x4 sign. Someone left it, but broke the stands off. I pulled a crossbar and fixed it. A few days later the sign was there, but the stands were gone. replaced the stands. Next, the sign was gone.

Came back with a 4' by 8' sign and three iron fence-posts that I pounded in with sledgehammers.

That sign stayed up until I took it down post-election. :D :D :D
That's awesome! Hoepfully Rand's campaign will also make those 2x4 signs and those huge 4x8 footers again! :

acptulsa
08-31-2009, 01:41 PM

Cayenne pepper, though it might turn the sign pink (main ingredient in Tobasco). Or jalapeno, or better still habanero juice.

Or just tape it on the inside of your window...

nayjevin
08-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Or just tape it on the inside of your window...

Yeah or mount it on the roof.

hotbrownsauce
09-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Was this a Rand sign in KY?

lol, no. one that said "Liberty" and one that said I forget... :-[ (I'm tired :P)

bkreigh
09-05-2009, 01:18 AM
just put a damn $30 game camera in a good location and get a picture of the thief --- no need to get involved in doing something to the person.

You link was just for the mount and not the actual camera.

Matt Collins
09-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Has it been stolen again since the first time?

angelatc
09-07-2009, 08:31 PM

Poison ivy.

Cowlesy
09-07-2009, 08:31 PM
You link was just for the mount and not the actual camera.

my bad. here is a link for one for $45

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOULTRIE-GAME-SPY-INFRARED-35mm-TRAIL-DEER-CAMERA-NEW!_W0QQitemZ400023917986QQcmdZViewItem

Malachi
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
YouTube - AA-12. World's deadliest shotgun! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c)