PDA

View Full Version : What are some conservative universities?

Patriot123
08-29-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm applying to college in a year, and I wanted to major in history. I'd rather not be taught by a liberal professor, so... Could anyone recommend some conservative universities that might have a good history program?

gls
08-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Check out George Mason University near Washington D.C. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mason_University

Matt Collins
08-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Claremont McKenna (http://www.claremontmckenna.edu/)

(Adam Kokesh attended there, as well did a good friend of mine)

james1906
08-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Claremont McKenna (http://www.claremontmckenna.edu/)

(Adam Kokesh attended there, as well did a good friend of mine)

Careful, I grew up in Claremont, and the town itself as well as the rest of the colleges are quite liberal. Longtime Congressional hack David Dreier also went there.

Brett
08-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Quote from a Princeton review book about Hillsdale College

While you don't have to be politically conservative to get in, a passionate and well-reasoned essay defending traditional values or singing the praises of free-market economics certainly can't hurt you

also says

there are plenty of "leftish students" who don't attend church, but there's also a "good libertarian crowd"

TCE
08-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm applying to college in a year, and I wanted to major in history. I'd rather not be taught by a liberal professor, so... Could anyone recommend some conservative universities that might have a good history program?

Who cares if you are? In school, grades matter. You should be able to ace the class whether liberal or conservative. Just make sure you know the entire history and not just what is being taught. It's hard because most colleges are filled with liberal college professors, especially in history because they study from textbooks that are written by liberals.

RSLudlum
08-29-2009, 11:55 PM
If I was looking I wouldn't be shy about asking Walter Williams for his suggestions http://economics.gmu.edu/wew/

or

Jeff Riggenbach
http://lewrockwell.com/riggenbach/riggenbach3-6.html
(click his name for email address)

axiomata
08-30-2009, 02:41 AM
Hillsdale and GMU were the schools I was going to recommend for history; I'm sure there are others. From my personal experience, having attended both a small liberal arts school as well as a big state university, the liberalness of both did not get to me. But then again, I was a science major not a history major. For my gen ed US history class I recall writing some BS final essay on LBJ's Great Society, and being bored out of my mind for most of the class, so I can admit, as someone who loves history, having professors that if not conservative, aren't outright leftists would have been nice.

Might also want to check out http://www.thefire.org/code/speechcodereport/

See if schools you are interested in have a draconian speech policy and other anti-liberty policies.

Bman
08-30-2009, 02:55 AM
I'm not sure how U of Penn is anymore, but my father in law attended there and told me in his economics course they spent about 1/2 a day on kensyian economics, because it was pure nonsense.

He has a pretty conservative view and huge on free markets.

SimpleName
09-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Important to note GMU and Hillsdale expect top notch academic achievement. I wouldn't even be allowed to walk on campus. :D Obviously I'm sure you'll figure that out in a second yourself, but just noting. Are there any others that maybe have less stringent demands. Not that I'll be heading anywhere as a freshmen (community college :rolleyes:), but I'm not exactly academically fit.

Not to take advantage of the OP's thread.

dannno
09-02-2009, 10:07 PM
UC Santa Cruz

dannno
09-02-2009, 10:12 PM
"Conservative" schools are generally ignorant of reality. "Liberal" schools are ignorant of the solution.

If you already know the solution, I would say it would serve you better to learn more about reality at a leftist school. Listen to Chomsky and Ralph Nader speeches or whatever.. Take a bunch of liberal classes. They tell you about reality, they are simply naive in thinking that a government that controls the economy is not going to be controlled by big whigs in the private sector. They are also naive in their belief that the free market causes poverty and many of the problems we face today regarding the environment. They don't understand HOW the problems of globalism relate to international banking, but they do understand that there is a problem. Some on this forum do not recognize many of these problems. But generally the leftist schools are right about our foreign policy, and are correct in citing the disparity between the rich and poor as something that needs to be treated, they just don't realize that the treatment is to get government out the economy.

SimpleName
09-02-2009, 11:25 PM
"Conservative" schools are generally ignorant of reality. "Liberal" schools are ignorant of the solution.

If you already know the solution, I would say it would serve you better to learn more about reality at a leftist school. Listen to Chomsky and Ralph Nader speeches or whatever.. Take a bunch of liberal classes. They tell you about reality, they are simply naive in thinking that a government that controls the economy is not going to be controlled by big whigs in the private sector. They are also naive in their belief that the free market causes poverty and many of the problems we face today regarding the environment. They don't understand HOW the problems of globalism relate to international banking, but they do understand that there is a problem. Some on this forum do not recognize many of these problems. But generally the leftist schools are right about our foreign policy, and are correct in citing the disparity between the rich and poor as something that needs to be treated, they just don't realize that the treatment is to get government out the economy.

Excellent observations. I've seen many of these same things in everyday discussions.

mtj458
09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
How about Auburn University? I think the Mises Institute is nearby and a lot of the faculty there lives in Auburn.