PDA

View Full Version : Doug Turner (Gary Johnson's former campaign manager) is running for Governor

tajitj
08-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Doug Turner, Gary Johnson's director for the 1994 campaign for Governor, officially announced his intent to run for Johnson's old position. The AP put this piece out which was carried by a few local media sites.

Albuquerque businessman Doug Turner said Friday he's seeking the Republican nomination for governor next year.

The 40-year-old native of Albuquerque owns a public affairs and communications firm that has two dozen employees and works in several states.

Turner was state director for former Gov. Gary Johnson's campaign in 1994, served as Johnson's campaign manager in 1998 and was a consultant for him.

He was deputy political director for Steve Forbes' 2000 bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

Dona Ana County District Attorney Susana Martinez and State Rep. Janice Arnold-Jones of Albuquerque announced earlier they would seek the Republican gubernatorial nomination. Former state GOP Chairman Allen Weh is considering a bid.

Lt. Gov. Diane Denish is seeking the Democratic nomination for governor.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. © Copyright 2009

The Roswell Daily Record (http://www.roswell-record.com/main.asp?FromHome=1&TypeID=1&ArticleID=45075&SectionID=49&SubSectionID=112) interviewed Turner the same day, where he layed out a few priorities.

Republicans certainly have a good chance of picking back up the State House after Bill Richardson's involvment in this alleged pay-to-play scheme, which Bloomberg.com (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=abW1zozaAYyI) reports is far from being over.

I will certainly be following his run and hope it brings Gary Johnson back into New Mexico's limelight again. Let the campaign be a reforendum on Gary's record as Governor. If Turner does well and wins that is a huge boost of confidence for a potential presidential run. This could set up to be the launching pad for Gary's re-emergence into the national spotlight. Hitting the campaign trail for Doug Turner should get him primed and fine tuned to turn around and start his big calling.

It still remains to be seen if any reaching out has taken place between Adam Kokesh and Doug Turner. Kokesh is running for Congress from New Mexico's 3rd (http://kokeshforcongress.com/) district. Each seem to have support bases which could help the other out. Kokesh the online liberty crowd with fundraising abilities and Turner the more local Republican party support having run a winning Governors race.

A website turnerforgovernor.com (http://turnerforgovernor.com/) is up, but for now just collecting emails.

Via

Flash
10-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Hitting the campaign trail for Doug Turner should get him primed and fine tuned to turn around and start his big calling.

Agreed. I wonder if this has anything to do with Gary Johnson's mysterious announcement.

tajitj
10-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I have heard about that announcement.

Also I personally need more info on Turner, he has my attention having worked with Gary, but do need to see some issue stances.

Elwar
10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I'd be curious to know if he shares Gary Johnson's principles or if he's just another Republican that worked his way up with different goals in mind....we shall see.

Flash
10-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow he sure is taking a while for him to get his website up and running. Anyone from the state know if he has been campaigning? What's he doing?

Flash
10-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Anyone from New Mexico know if this guy is actively campaigning?

dannno
10-26-2009, 03:11 PM
I'd be curious to know if he shares Gary Johnson's principles or if he's just another Republican that worked his way up with different goals in mind....we shall see.

No, he's been a libertarian for a long, long time. He pushed for drug decriminalization in his state when he was governor and made big waves with the establishment.

His nick name was Gary "Veto" Johnson.

coyote_sprit
10-26-2009, 03:32 PM
No, he's been a libertarian for a long, long time. He pushed for drug decriminalization in his state when he was governor and made big waves with the establishment.

Elwar wasn't asking if Gary was a libertarian but that if Turner was one or just worked for Johnson as a way to advance both of their careers.

Flash
11-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Well his website is finally up! Not too bad looking either.

ICBCINTERGER2
11-07-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.photosnag.com/img/4713/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

tajitj
11-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I see he clearly is not running on Garys anti drug war theme, but does talk about prevention and treatment, so that is good.

Anyone know anything about "Kendras Law" he mentions it a few times. My first reaction was, WAIT A SECOND, I hope they don't ever label me mentally ill. Sounds like the state would have total control of you.

MENTAL ILLNESS »
It is time to modernize the state’s mental health policy and join 42 other states by enacting “Kendra’s Law.” This requires people affected by mental illness to follow court orders that determine a course of action that makes them less of a danger to themselves and others. This is a wise public safety requirement and it does not require much additional spending.