PDA

View Full Version : Denver to Move to $1 Fine for Pot Possession?

disorderlyvision
08-28-2009, 12:05 PM
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/599/denver_panel_one_dollar_marijuana_fine

Denver could soon see a maximum $1 fine -- the lowest in the country -- for simple marijuana possession. The city's Marijuana Policy Review Panel voted 6-2 Wednesday to recommend that the city do just that.

The panel was created by Mayor John Hickenlooper in December 2007 to comply with the will of voters who had just passed an ordinance making adult marijuana possession offenses the lowest law enforcement priority. That vote came after a 2005 vote to legalize marijuana in the city, a vote that was ignored by local law enforcement and prosecutors, who instead charged offenders under state law.

In May 2008, the city attorney's office set the fine for possession at $50 and arranged for payment to be made by mail instead of at a court appearance. Now it will be up to the city's presiding judge to decide whether to go even further and set the fine at $1.

"By setting the fine at just $1, we are sending a message to Denver officials that the era of citing adults for using a less harmful drug than alcohol is over. It's simply not worth the city's time or resources," said panel member and SAFER executive director Mason Tvert, who coordinated the successful Denver marijuana initiatives.

A Denver Police Department representative on the panel unsurprisingly voted against the proposal. "There's no indication that there's a problem with the fine schedule," said Lt. Ernesto Martinez. "The panel is going outside the bounds of the language of the ordinance."

But, in a sign of the times, Martinez appears to be the one out of step with the panel and public opinion in the Mile High City.

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/9f4or/marijuana_denver_to_move_to_1_fine_for_pot/

dannno
08-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Great.

Bruno
08-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Still $1 too much.

BlackTerrel
08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
wow... that's great.

amy31416
08-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm down with that. It'll cost them more to issue the ticket than they will collect.

It's a step in the right direction.

speciallyblend
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Still $1 too much.

and i was kewl with 100 dollar fine;) hahaha but i hear you;) considering that most states are still ass backwards on marijuana law! when i moved to colorado and found that 1 ounce was a 100 dollar fine! i was thinking sweet its legal:) cheaper then a speeding ticket! it will be legal in colorado by 2012 i hope;) but in my eyes legal already in colorado!!

it will be legal in november in breckenridge;) voters have approved before with other votes by 70%. in nov it will be legal for adults:) i expect 70-90% approval in nov!!!

speciallyblend
08-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm down with that. It'll cost them more to issue the ticket than they will collect.

already does cost them more. it is only a 100 dollar fine for 1 ounce already. consider court time and police time etc .they already lose money enforcing the 100 dollar fine;)

did i mention that Colorado Rocks:)

seems the only time people get popped for cannabis now is if the cop didn't get laid the night before or the cop is low on buds;) and doesn't want to pay for it:) (city cop joke)

usually when folks get popped now ,marijuana is a minor charge compared to dui or drunk in public of fighting! cops are our friends in our mtn communities:) there is not one cop that doesn't know i like my marijuana! it is a non-issue in the co mtns unless your commiting a crime!!

i know a bunch of police that voted yes to legalize;)

speciallyblend
08-28-2009, 01:05 PM
in case folks wanted to know. MASON TVERT is the guy everyone in Colorado should be thanking:) and of course themselves if they voted;)

Mason Tvert WE LOVE YOU:)

youngbuck
08-28-2009, 01:16 PM
My bro has a medical license, so it IS legal for him...

Every year a BUNCH of stoners go to the capitol building and blaze up. Cops are all over the place making sure things don't get out of hand, but they don't arrest or cite anybody.

Revolution0918
08-28-2009, 01:18 PM
its times like these im happy i live here...think ill light 1 up rite now :)

dannno
08-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Every year a BUNCH of stoners go to the capitol building and blaze up. Cops are all over the place making sure things don't get out of hand, but they don't arrest or cite anybody.

There was a protest in my town and a police officer that was present was informing those in attendance of where they were allowed to smoke their marijuana. I believe he was saying that it was OK on the sidewalk, but not OK on the lawn in front of the court.. something like that.

speciallyblend
08-28-2009, 01:28 PM

you want to hear irony? my wife has the ability to get a medical card(14 fused vertebrae) :( but it is cheaper on the green market then getting it from legal means;) eventually prices will drop. then we can justify going to the medical dispenseries!

$275-325 for good marijuana vs paying 425 for the medical! if the state wants revenues from the medical marijuana. they better lower their prices asap;)

i would perfer to be busted 2-3 times yr vs paying the pathetic fees they are trying to get!!!

youngbuck
08-28-2009, 01:35 PM
My bro told me that prices are generally just a hair below street prices at the dispensaries he goes to. He has a massive variety to choose from, and can get exact stains and endica/sativa ratios depending on how he feels.

speciallyblend
08-28-2009, 01:51 PM
My bro told me that prices are generally just a hair below street prices at the dispensaries he goes to. He has a massive variety to choose from, and can get exact stains and endica/sativa ratios depending on how he feels.

yeah depends on the dispensaries for sure. that is what i have heard depending on the location and persons running it!

might you tell me the location of his??? i really want food products! i actually might become a medical supplier myself! i haven't decided yet!!

we have some dispensaries opening in the mtns soon. one just opened in frisco colorado!

the deciding factor to me is the cost of lisc and fees vs keeping my source;) might just get the lisc to avoid having to make my own butter;)

who would of thought that would be an issue:) only in colorado is the issue deciding on paying the fees vs the green market;) sounds better calling it a green market ,then a black market eh?;)

only in colorado can you get special foods at concerts. gotta love the cheesecake lady;)

people who do not live in colorado would fall in love with colorado! i am glad citizens in colorado have common sense:)

when i finally have some extra dollars! we might go thru the hassle of getting the medical card!! penalities for marijuana to me are 0 compared to nazi states like virginia and north carolina(note nothing against the peeps in the state)

as you know marijuana is just not really a concern to most law enforcement!!

i am all for fining marijuana growers if their pot sucks:) hehe
cost depends on who we know i guess. i can get an ounce for 275-325 depending on strain. it is almost like pot is growing on trees/bushes:) oo yeah it does:)

Bruno
08-28-2009, 01:53 PM
speciallyblend - save some smileys, winks, and greens for the rest of us. ;) :)

speciallyblend
08-28-2009, 01:59 PM
speciallyblend - save some smileys, winks, and greens for the rest of us. ;) :)

haha well i am having a safety break as we type:):):):):):)

MyLibertyStuff
08-28-2009, 02:01 PM
yayyyy

benhaskins
08-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Legalization was on the ballot in CO in 2004 or 2006. From what I remember it failed 60/40 and Nevada also failed by a smaller percentage (56/44 i think).

dannno
08-28-2009, 02:15 PM
i am all for fining marijuana growers if their pot sucks:) hehe

lol

youngbuck
08-28-2009, 02:26 PM
might you tell me the location of his??? i really want food products! i actually might become a medical supplier myself! i haven't decided yet!!

Next time I see him (probably later today) I'll get the info. He has a brochure that lists all of the dispensaries in the greater Denver area.

speciallyblend
08-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Legalization was on the ballot in CO in 2004 or 2006. From what I remember it failed 60/40 and Nevada also failed by a smaller percentage (56/44 i think).

well in my 3 counties it passed with majority votes. i cannot help that half of colorado is really kansas in disguise;) the fact is the folks who make the voter guide lied on amendment 44 last election!

it will eventually pass. the anti-folks are running out of lies!

they tried to imply that passing amendment 44 would make it legal to give to kids and included this in the colorado voter guide. when infact it is a class 4 felony, typical mis info BS!!!!

they are running out of lies!!!

it will be legal for adults in breck .when they vote in nov! i expect over 70% maybe even 80% or more!!

benhaskins
08-29-2009, 07:47 AM
I think the ceo of Progressive Insurance was helping fund the effort to get it on the ballot. Full legalization in a state would be a big step in the right direction.

speciallyblend
08-29-2009, 07:58 AM
I think the ceo of Progressive Insurance was helping fund the effort to get it on the ballot. Full legalization in a state would be a big step in the right direction.

the fact is citizens and mason tvert were behind the statewide one. the breckenridge int on ballot was 100% citizens in breck aka as sensible breck aka sensible colorado!!! i am sure they got donations from all over the place!

it really feels awesome to see what is happening in Colorado!

www.summitdaily.com type in marijuana and enjoy reading the letters and some of the comments! the anti-folks are done with all their lies! now when they try to spread lies our citizens call them out for what they are!!! pretty awesome stuff:)

i cannot wait for the nov election:) the anti-marijuana folks are crumbling like bad dry mexican pot:) they are running out of lies!

Green Eggs and Ham:) mmmmmmmmmm

disorderlyvision
08-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Mason has done a lot for the cause. SAFER is a good org.

andrewh817
08-30-2009, 12:18 AM

That first statement doesn't make sense....... if the government is losing money it's on our tab. But it is a step........