PDA

View Full Version : Okay For 2nd Graders?!?!?

Kregener
09-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Democratic Candidates Say They're OK With Second-Grade Teacher Reading Gay Prince Fairy Tale (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0%2C29...98307%2C00.html)

http://www.foxnews.com/images/310071/0_61_king_and_kingkiss.jpg

By Catherine Donaldson-Evans

A fairy tale about two princes falling in love sparked a backlash — and a lawsuit — against a teacher and a school last year when it was read to a second-grade class in Massachusetts.

But the three frontrunners in the Democratic presidential race suggested Wednesday night at their debate in New Hampshire that they’d support reading the controversial book to children as part of a school curriculum.

Moderator Tim Russert asked John Edwards, Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton whether they’d be comfortable having the story — called “King & King” — read to their children in school.

Edwards gave the first and most definitive answer — a resounding and instant “yes, absolutely” — although he added that it “might be a little tough” for second-graders.

Obama agreed with Edwards and revealed that his wife has already spoken to his 6- and 9-year-old daughters about same-sex marriage.

Clinton said she believes it’s up to parents to decide how to handle such topics, but added that it’s important to teach kids about the “many differences that are in the world.”

Same-sex marriage is legal in Massachusetts, and, as Russert pointed out Wednesday, most of the Democratic candidates have said they oppose it. But though they don't back the legislation, they apparently think it's OK to teach elementary-school students about gay marriage.

“I want my children to understand everything about the difficulties that gay and lesbian couples are faced with every day, the discrimination that they’re faced with every single day of their lives,” Edwards said. “I suspect my two younger children, Emma Claire, who’s 9, and Jack, who’s 7, will reach the same conclusion that my daughter Cate, who’s 25, has reached — which is, she doesn’t understand why her dad is not in favor of same-sex marriage.”

The 2004 vice presidential candidate and former North Carolina senator said he doesn’t want to influence his kids’ opinions about the issue.

“I don’t want to make that decision on behalf of my children,” he said. “I want my children to be able to make that decision on behalf of themselves, and I want them to be exposed to all the information, even in — did you say second grade? Second grade might be a little tough, but even in second grade to be exposed to all those possibilities, because I don’t want to impose my view. Nobody made me God.”

Obama told Russert that his sentiments are similar to those of Edwards, and, when asked whether he’d sat down to talk about same-sex marriage with his young daughters, he replied that his wife had.

“The fact is, my 9-year-old and my 6-year-old I think are already aware that there are same-sex couples,” the Illinois senator told the debate. “One of the things I want to communicate to my children is not to be afraid of people who are different. …. One of the things I think the next president has to do is stop fanning people’s fears. If we spend all our time feeding the American people fear and conflict and division, then they become fearful and conflicted and divided.”

Clinton said she respects the viewpoints of Obama and Edwards, but she sidestepped the question of whether she’d be comfortable having a storybook like “King & King” read to her own child at that age.

“With respect to your individual children, that is such a matter of parental discretion,” Clinton said. “Obviously, it is better to try to … help your children understand the many differences that are in the world. … And that goes far beyond sexual orientation. So I think that this issue of gays and lesbians and their rights will remain an important one in our country.”

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who is vying for the Republican nomination for president, weighed in afterward with a statement accusing the Democratic candidates of being “out of touch” with America.

“Not one candidate was uncomfortable with young children learning about same-sex marriage in the second grade,” Romney said in the statement. “This is a subject that should be left to parents, not public school teachers. We need to strengthen our families by passing a federal marriage amendment and also insisting on marriage before having children. Change in Washington requires Democrats with the courage to stand up to their ultra liberal base and do what's right for our children."

Some Lexington, Mass., parents were livid that a Joseph Estabrook Elementary School teacher read “King & King” to their second-grade children in class.

The Dutch tale, which has been translated into English, is about a prince whose mother pressures him to find a princess but who ends up falling in love with and marrying the brother of one of the prospective brides instead.

Last year, a judge dismissed a federal lawsuit brought by two sets of parents of students in the class who objected to the introduction of homosexual themes to their 7-year-olds without alerting them first, on the grounds that it was a violation of the state’s sex-education parental notification clause.

School officials stood by their decision to teach about different kinds of marriage and said that Massachusetts law requires them to do so.

Hope
09-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Schools should be able to teach whatever they want to teach. It's the whole government-ization of schools that spurs silly controversies like this. I think it's a distraction from the real problems this country faces.

micahnelson
09-28-2007, 01:55 PM
I would be willing to bet families in San Fran would be for this... and in Mississippi families would not.

If only schools were controlled at the local level...

angelatc
09-28-2007, 01:56 PM
I would be willing to bet families in San Fran would be for this... and in Mississippi families would not.

Exactly!

Hope
09-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Vote Ron Paul in '08 even if you have to write him in!

Ephesians 6:12

Wow. Is that what Ephesians 6:12 really says?

Perry
09-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Bring back the good ol days when schools taught math and literature skills.
Let each parent teach their child what is right or wrong and let each state via it's people run the curriculum.

RP4ME
09-28-2007, 07:55 PM
not with my tax dllars! States / local communities decide -

angelatc
09-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Democratic Candidates Say They're OK With Second-Grade Teacher Reading Gay Prince Fairy Tale (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0%2C29...98307%2C00.html)

“I don’t want to make that decision on behalf of my children,” (Edwards) said. “............., because I don’t want to impose my view. Nobody made me God.”

What an idiot. It's the job of a parent to impose views.

If nobody made him God, why is he better suited to spend my money than I am?

Vaughn
09-28-2007, 09:09 PM

Thats what I was thinking too! Parents need to get involved. Its not up to the federal government to mandate, or conversely, ban any type of education. It is the responsibility of parents through the school board to decide the future of their children's education. I just recently graduated and I can attest to the horrible effect Federal mandates have on education. All this controversy about same sex education when to do it if ever, when not to, all this does is detract from the reality that federal intervention has damaged our educational system. Local control is the only solution I see that can solve the problem.

richard1984
09-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I say that children should have far for say in their own education. Younger children do need more structure, but when people reach middle school and high school age, they should have far more control over the direction of their education. Of course, they need to progress and complete work on their projects, but just imagine how much happier, healthy, and educated Americans would be!

If we want freedom to work, we're going to have to allow our children and young adults far more freedom when it comes to developing/educating themselves!!!

I know I would be much better off if I had had the freedom to direct my own education.

Kregener
09-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Just get the government and its Prussian-style totalitarian method (thanks Dewey) OUT of the system, and education and the free market will take care of itself.

No Hope, Ephesians 6:12 says you should send me 2 cases of .308 ammo...

TheDuke
09-29-2007, 01:04 AM
I don't believe 2nd grade children need this. I sure didn't need this and my children weren't traumatized either because they found out all of this later on in their lifes.

But as a true libertarian, I think decisions about this should be made at a local level, together with the parents.

Corydoras
09-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Politically speaking, Massachusetts is a different planet from the rest of the country. Someday, political parties will realize that Massachusetts politicians poll well in New Hampshire only because the heavily populated parts of NH are in the Boston broadcast market; it's not like they are well liked elsewhere-- there was no real Kerry fan club, just voters for the anti-Bush. But Massachusetts generally produces personalities that are hard for the rest of the country to understand... it's just a real different culture. Even San Fran could not produce a Barney Frank.

Likewise, there's a legitimate case to be made that since they have gay marriage, they really do have to get their kids used to the idea. Gay marriage is just one of those odd Massachusetts facts of life, and a strong argument for local control of schools.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-29-2007, 06:16 AM
I don't have a problem with this... I have a problem with PUBLIC EDUCATION lol the problem is that parents have no choice here, all children are subjected to this worthless system, I wouldn't have a problem with my child (if I had one) reading things like this. If the child wants to.. why not? I just don't think this is education... what are they learning here?

Kregener
09-29-2007, 10:25 AM
They are learning to be homosexual. That is the agenda behind the whole thing.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-29-2007, 10:28 AM

Well, they will pick it up, eventually lol

DanConway
09-29-2007, 07:03 PM

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.