PDA

View Full Version : Comment about RP/debates/voice coach

Dave Wood
09-28-2007, 11:31 AM
This is from over at "Libert papers"
1 Comment »

Yeah well, Jesse Benton or someone needs to retool RP, stat…. e.g. did anyone catch last night? Sure he spouted out the same headline stances of course, BUT RP could have e a s i l y phrased his Iraq answer much better. His goddamned voice is too shrill and whiny. This is reallly worrying me because he is not the best speaker and there’s just no time to make him any better at this point.

BUT he could at least use a very competent coach for the Oct 9th debate, which is going to be highly watched. Also keep in mind that America for some reason is watching the major (R) debates at *twice* the number that watch any (D) debate. That’s somewhat boggling since all we ever hear is how this year is going to be a record (D) blowout or w/e.

Also, someone here at thelibertypapers.org pointed out that RP tends to swing for a homerun when the question does not call for it. Last night, check out the question he responded to directly after the Iraq question. Totally unnecessary war reference he repeated with too much zeal and slightly off topic to the question. RP BETTER bring his A-game and new “Fleshing out” substance to his debate points on Oct 9…. e.g. who would he appoint as this or that, how exactly would he structure the Iraq pullout, how exactly would he transition away from the entitlement state, etc etc etc etc. HE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO FLESH ANY OF THESE THINGS OUT ON OCT 9.

Whew, yes I know the article wasn’t about debates, but I’ve been hyperventilating over RP’s debate weakenesses and whether his people are going to iron it out before Oct 9.

R_Harris
09-28-2007, 11:39 AM
This is from over at "Libert papers"
1 Comment »

Yeah well, Jesse Benton or someone needs to retool RP, stat…. e.g. did anyone catch last night? Sure he spouted out the same headline stances of course, BUT RP could have e a s i l y phrased his Iraq answer much better. His goddamned voice is too shrill and whiny. This is reallly worrying me because he is not the best speaker and there’s just no time to make him any better at this point.

BUT he could at least use a very competent coach for the Oct 9th debate, which is going to be highly watched. Also keep in mind that America for some reason is watching the major (R) debates at *twice* the number that watch any (D) debate. That’s somewhat boggling since all we ever hear is how this year is going to be a record (D) blowout or w/e.

Also, someone here at thelibertypapers.org pointed out that RP tends to swing for a homerun when the question does not call for it. Last night, check out the question he responded to directly after the Iraq question. Totally unnecessary war reference he repeated with too much zeal and slightly off topic to the question. RP BETTER bring his A-game and new “Fleshing out” substance to his debate points on Oct 9…. e.g. who would he appoint as this or that, how exactly would he structure the Iraq pullout, how exactly would he transition away from the entitlement state, etc etc etc etc. HE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO FLESH ANY OF THESE THINGS OUT ON OCT 9.

Whew, yes I know the article wasn’t about debates, but I’ve been hyperventilating over RP’s debate weakenesses and whether his people are going to iron it out before Oct 9.

Dave, I completely agree. What is really odd about this is the fact that he had these same debating and voice problems back when he ran for the US Senate in 1984. Obviously no one has advised him in 23 years that he needs to work on his message delivery, voice issues, development of effective 30 second sound bites, and RELAXING on the stage.

He is intent on getting his message across, and he has always had problems controlling his emotions and calming down. So, sometimes he comes across as a raving lunatic - something voters do not need to see.

Dave Wood
09-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Dave, I completely agree. What is really odd about this is the fact that he had these same debating and voice problems back when he ran for the US Senate in 1984. Obviously no one has advised him in 23 years that he needs to work on his message delivery, voice issues, development of effective 30 second sound bites, and RELAXING on the stage.

He is intent on getting his message across, and he has always had problems controlling his emotions and calming down. So, sometimes he comes across as a raving lunatic - something voters do not need to see.

JUst so everyone knows, I didnt write this comment. I found it linked to a blip about RPs fundraising success.
I just thought it interesting comming from kind of outside. I agree on the one part about calming down. I think he is so used to being attacked on his beliefs that he feels he cant let his guard down???

Dont sweat the small stuff DOC. everyone makes mistakes when they are on camera in front of millions. I think the relax message should be delivered to the campaign regardless, especially if we give him a cool million plus in a six day period:D

Stealth4
09-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I think its good to email the campaign this stuff. It doesnt tie them down much, they just read it and move on. If they see it in several emails it will stick that people have this opinion. It is constructive criticism after all.

(Yes I have volunteered at HQ answering email)

jacmicwag
09-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Organize your ideas into specific suggestions and then shoot a hard copy to headquarters so it will get read. You won't be the first to make suggestions. I saw some improvements last night versus the VV debate. Ron is carrying an extraordinary load on his shoulders and has gone further already than anyone dreamed possible. Let's help him get to that next level.

stevedasbach
09-28-2007, 12:19 PM

I'm quite certain that he's been so advised.

BillyDkid
09-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Wait a second, I'm not understanding all this sudden hysteria and need to critique Ron Paul's presentation. We were all drawn to RP because of who he is (a man of integrity and honesty) and because of his positions. Suddenly many folks find it necessary suggest that who he is is somehow not quite good enough. Romney is all slick on polished and his message has been massaged by his handlers so he never (supposedly) says the wrong thing. I'm just not getting it. You want the real thing or you don't. Ron Paul is not going to be handled like a commodity and he not going to slicken up for prime time - thank god for that!

R_Harris
09-28-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm quite certain that he's been so advised.

Well, then his "coaching" has not been very successful. If I am seeing the same issues that I saw 23 years ago, then it is not working.

Unfortunately, there are some ingrained mannerisms and issues which people can have that they never break, regardless of how much they try to improve. Our best hope, then, is that the bad habits and mannerisms can at least be minimized.

One-on-one and small group speeches are where he really excels. But with a national campaign, such events cannot propel you to victory.

Ron Paul Fan
09-28-2007, 12:37 PM
I agree with Billy the Kid and I would say that whatever he's doing now is very successful. Look at all of us on this forum. Most of us probably hadn't even really heard of Ron Paul before this year. I'm sure he's got someone around him advising him, but he's not your typical politician. He's going to say what he genuinely feels and when he thinks he has to say a lot in a little amount of time, sometimes he rushes his words. Dr. Paul's stances take a lot more time to explain than, "They hate us for our freedoms," or "We have to keep fighting them over there or they'll follow us home!" I think he's doing just fine and we have to stop fretting after every debate. And since when did people on here suddenly become speech coaches and think they know what's better for Ron Paul than a 20 year Congressman and a former Presidential candidate?

BLS
09-28-2007, 12:41 PM
I agree his speaking is becoming more and more hurried.

Go to youtube and watch his first debate (Ronald Reagan one).
He was calm, and made alot of sense, and he was intriguing.

Now, he's trying to put out too many points at one time.
I agree he needs to RELAX a little bit.

BUT, part of that is he is given so little time to answer anything he feels rushed.

Shatterhand
09-28-2007, 12:44 PM
I know there's plenty of disagreement about RP's debate performance.

I think RP needs a voice/body coach and a speech writer. Unfortunately you need substance and style in this modern world. Dr. Paul seemed to do better in earlier debates in regards to substance. I felt that in this most recent debate he was lacking in both substance and style.

awigo50
09-28-2007, 01:07 PM
The other thing about these debates is that he's still trying to get his message out - so to me, who has watched all his debate appearances now, and alot of his other appearances... it's old news. We already can quote his 'standard platform'. The difficulty he has, and everyone has, is showing how that platform works in whatever format the debate questioners present.

Regardless of the questions, he's still trying to get out the same ideas. This is why he has had difficulty in the last two debates. He's not running a campaign for 'values voters' or for the 'black, brown & minority'. He's running for a presidency of everyone. So the last two debates really haven't been fourms for him to do great. Just decent. And we'll take that. I think once he gets back to a debate where the questions aren't pointed around such specific topics, he'll be back on his "A" game.

fourameuphoria
09-28-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm willing to accept his quirky mannerisms, and sometimes hurried speech. I find it endearing. But as for the actual content, he's already got the MSM making him the token anti-war guy. At the last two debates, he had a chance to go beyond that. The Prince of Peace line was great, so was the interrelatedness of the debt. But other times, he was completely irrelevant when he brought up the war.

LibertyEagle
09-28-2007, 01:46 PM
I just wish he'd calm down, slow down, pay attention to his demeanor and talk about both principles and issues, like he did in the very first debate. In my opinion, that was his very best.

Most of all, HE needs to believe that he can really win this thing.

tcmaroc
09-28-2007, 02:40 PM
he gets tired
don't forget that he's an old man

Thomas_Paine
09-28-2007, 02:49 PM
I just wish he'd calm down, slow down, pay attention to his demeanor and talk about both principles and issues, like he did in the very first debate. In my opinion, that was his very best.

Most of all, HE needs to believe that he can really win this thing.

I believe that these 2 latest debates will actually help him prepare for this more important Oct. 9th debate. I believe that he will review his previous debates and come to the same conclusions that we have.

The most impressive thing he did in the debate was his comments about the Drug War.

constituent
09-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Relaxing is the issue. Refining is not.

Come on, who's more refined than Mitt or Fred?

precisely what makes them unelectable...

(paul is) precisely why they've got 2x viewers...

America loves an underdog, they'd love to
see him win... he just has to learn that the
people are on his side already....

that part is over. They just need the opportunity
to get comfortable w/ him... that's it.

and they want to, that's why they tune in... giving
him another opportunity, and another and another.

he needs to assume the American people are his
best friends/biggest supporters... 'cuz they are.

CodeMonkey
09-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Wait a second, I'm not understanding all this sudden hysteria and need to critique Ron Paul's presentation. We were all drawn to RP because of who he is (a man of integrity and honesty) and because of his positions. Suddenly many folks find it necessary suggest that who he is is somehow not quite good enough. Romney is all slick on polished and his message has been massaged by his handlers so he never (supposedly) says the wrong thing. I'm just not getting it. You want the real thing or you don't. Ron Paul is not going to be handled like a commodity and he not going to slicken up for prime time - thank god for that!

Nobody is suggesting that he change his positions, sacrifice his integrity, or pander for votes. However, it is important to make a good impression on people seeing him speak for the first time. Working on your communication skills and trying to appeal to people better is not the same as selling out.

Question_Authority
09-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I don't want him to be "slick" but I do want him to speak clearly and get his message across. He was doing BETTER in the earlier debates. My friends and family are noticing all of this too. He needs to breathe and relax and bring in some of his charming personality that I have seen when I meet him one on one.

texasbelle
09-28-2007, 03:58 PM
You know I watched the debate on YouTube and I only watched Dr. Pauls vids but he didnt come across as taking fast at all to me. His speaking is very intelligent sounding. Sure there are things that we think later, "oh he should have said this."etc. But he has such a vast amount of knowledge that he probably has trouble deciding what to cram into 30 seconds. Dang you cant box in in, kwim? But he does have to answer the questions. The other candidates are no where near as intelligent as Ron Paul so they have these annoying catch phrases that do "catch" the mainstream sheeple... :D

brumans
09-28-2007, 04:01 PM
You guys will never be happy.

With the earlier debates everyone complained he was to passive and wasn't forceful enough. And now that he is more forceful in his message you guys say he should go back to the way he was before.

He's doing fine, you guys aren't helping anything.

jmunjr
09-28-2007, 04:03 PM
I've said since day one that RP isn't a good speaker and needs work, as too have many others, so this isn't "suddenly".. Most of us have been hoping he'd improve. He has changed since May, only I think he has gotten worse.. I still love the man though..