PDA

View Full Version : Fort Worth Star Telegram covers Medina

Imperial
08-26-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/242/story/1558684.html

Excerpt:

So far, the former Wharton County party chairwoman seems content with rallying the 5 percent of Texas Republicans who supported U.S. Rep. Ron Paul for president and agitating for geeky rules to give that faction more power...

Fine.

But does she realize how fast she could become a challenger for governor?

She’s more of a tax cutter than Gov. Rick Perry. She’s more conservative than U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.

In a campaign where Hutchison and Perry are likely to muddy each other’s hairdos, Medina can criticize both.

"Rick Perry campaigns like a conservative, but you can’t judge by what he says," Medina said in an interview. "You can only judge what he does."

Obviously, her campaign might pare away conservative Perry voters and help Hutchison.

"They won’t be able to say that if I can move past her and get to second in the polls," Medina said. "Then it’s just me against Rick Perry."

And some constructive criticism

But almost before her speech, she was asking guests to sign petitions demanding an arcane party rule change requiring candidates to support or oppose the Republican platform.

She ought to be talking about Texas. Not party paperwork.

Read more at the link and recommend it!

tron paul
08-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Awesome!

thasre
08-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Time and again I've seen Texas newspapers, radio personalities, bloggers, etc., treat Debra Medina as a serious, viable alternative to Perry and Hutchison, who may have the establishment backing but are widely regarded as equally atrocious by common Texan Republicans. So why is it that we have a money bombs and subforums and websites up and running for people like Schiff - who has 10% name recognition in CN and hasn't announced whether he's running -, and Kokesh - a tax-protestor running in a heavily Democratic district - but nothing of the sort for Medina ?

I really think we're underestimating Debra Medina's ability to become a positive face for Ron Paul Republicanism. Unlike our other candidates - unlike even Rand Paul - she has electoral experience, her activism in mainstream Republican circles is deep but she's never compromised on her principles, she's well-liked and well-respected among those familiar with her, and her competitors are nothing to scoff at but they're not infallible either.

I really wish more people were paying attention to this race, promoting this candidate, and giving their money to Medina! Let's not let one of our own stumble off into obscurity because we were too busy trying to eek out an announcement from Peter Schiff!

Imperial
08-28-2009, 11:30 PM
The hard part is she is a Republican running against an incumbent Republican. Ron Paul doesn't endorse in that situation.

james1906
08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
The hard part is she is a Republican running against an incumbent Republican. Ron Paul doesn't endorse in that situation.

I think all bets are off with KBH in the race.

Flash
08-31-2009, 11:22 PM
I think all bets are off with KBH in the race.

Whos KBH and why is this person important?

thasre
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Whos KBH and why is this person important?

Kay Bailey Hutchison. She's the senior Senator from Texas and she's surprisingly liberal for a Republican generally, especially for a Republican from Texas. And she totally sucks but many Texans think Rick Perry totally sucks too so she's considered a formidable opponent.

Frankly I think that even though Perry and Hutchison are so entrenched in the political machinery that a Medina upset is unlikely, I still think it's possible. And I wish we were giving this race more attention.

LibertyEagle
09-01-2009, 03:29 PM
The big question is, is she going to be able to get in the debates. That is critical.

bucfish
09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
The big question is, is she going to be able to get in the debates. That is critical.

Yeah if she is in the debates and does a good job. That would be what energizes the grassroots!

Remember youtube or it didn't happen!

thasre
09-02-2009, 07:04 PM

What does it take to get into the debates in Texas? I think we, at the very least, even if we feel she has no chance of winning, owe it to our movement to do whatever it takes just to get her the name recognition and money to be in the debates. That alone would be a victory, IMO.

So... anyone know what the requirements are for being in the debates?