PDA

View Full Version : Bill Hunt article: Sheriff candidates clash on concealed weapons policy

Jamsie 567
08-26-2009, 05:47 PM
View article here (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/hutchens-margarita-law-2536274-sheriff-rancho)

Friday, August 21, 2009
Sheriff candidates clash on concealed weapons policy at Rancho forum
O.C. Sheriff Sandra Hutchens, former Lt. Bill Hunt talk to crowd at local wine bar.

By JOHN CRANDALL
The Orange County Register

RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA – Orange County’s sheriff and a challenger who plans to seek the office in 2010 clashed over concealed weapons policy at a forum Thursday.

At UnCorked Wine Boutique in Rancho Santa Margarita, O.C Sheriff Sandra Hutchens and former Sheriff Lt. Bill Hunt talked with county residents at the Lake Forest Republican Women Federated Candidate Forum.

After taking office Hutchens implemented a stricter policy on concealed weapons in response to charges that former Sheriff Mike Carona gave out permits as political favors.

Hunt has criticized Hutchens’ policies as being too restrictive.

"I believe that your constitutional rights should be protected," Hunt said to the crowd of between 60 to 80 people. "My policy will be if you apply and are not prohibited by law from having a CCW, I'll give it to you."

Hutchens said she instituted a stricter policy because state law requires it, not because she opposes the Second Amendment of the Constitution.

"What I am for is following the law," Hutchens said," I have to abide by the law whether I agree with it or not."

Under state law, local sheriffs and police chiefs have discretion to hand out licenses to carry a concealed weapon based on "good cause."

Bill Hunt was one of the nine finalists the Orange County Board of Supervisors considered to fill the role of sheriff, which had been vacated by former Sheriff Mike Carona, who left office to prepare for his criminal corruption trial.

Hunt came in second against Carona in the race for sheriff in 2006.In June 2008 the Orange County Board of Supervisors appointed Hutchens, a retired Los Angeles Sheriff's Department division chief, as sheriff.

A federal grand jury convicted Carona convicted on one charge of witness tampering January 2009.

Hunt and Hutchens are so far the only two candidates who have announced their intention to run and the deadline for signatures in lieu of filing fee for office is Jan.

The primary election takes place June 8, 2010 and the term is four years.

At the meeting each candidate spoke for about 5 minutes and answered questions from the gathered crowd.

www.BillHuntforSheriff.com

While this is just a local race for us please take note that this is the 4th largest Sheriff deparment in America. It's important that people like Bill Hunt defend your constiutional rights not just for our county's but the whole nation.

Bill hunt was endorsed by Sheriff Richard Mack on Aug 8th and became an Oath Keeper.