PDA

View Full Version : SAT Scores Decline in NYC Schools

FrankRep
08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
SAT Scores Decline in NYC Schools (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/culture/education/1747)

James Heiser | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
26 August 2009

SAT scores continue to decline in New York City schools. As NBCNewYork.com reports (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/SAT-Scores-Sacked-for-4th-Year-in-a-Row--54984952.html): "It's a sad state for standardized tests. City and state SAT scores have plummeted for the fourth year in a row, according to new data."

The report continues: "The city's average score on each 800-point section of the SAT has plunged 18 points in math, to 459, and 13 points in reading, to 435, after reaching a peak in 2005. Scores on the writing component of the test, which began in 2006, fell six points, to 432. While state and county scores have continued to outpace the city's by nearly 70 points in each section, they too have experienced declines in the last four years, though not as prominent as the drops in city scores. The city average continues to fall more than 55 points below the national average for SAT scores, reports the Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/education/2009/08/26/2009-08-26_more_minorities_take_the_sat_college_entrance_e xam_but_results_.html)."

The test results should hardly be a surprise; they are part of a larger trend in which declining standards of education simply encourage disinterest among the students, while increasing time devoted to what may be politely referred to as “non-academic” topics — that is, indoctrination in various secular dogmas (e.g. “global warming”), "sensitivities" and various other claptrap — devours the hours that could have been used to actually educate students in the traditional “three-Rs” that standardized testing is intended to evaluate.

The interesting fact revealed in the NBC report is that education officials are attributing the declining test scores to racial and ethnic factors:

For the last two years, city education officials have attributed the plummeting test scores to the increasing number of students taking the tests. They've also said school initiatives have encouraged more black and Hispanic students — kids who may not have planned to go to college in the past — to take the test, which has contributed to the drop. "We're expanding the group of kids, and it's becoming much more representative of the entire student population," NYC Education Department spokesman Andy Jacob told the News. "It's clear that in the past the kids who took the SATs were much more likely to be the highest performing kids from the most selective schools."

The declining scores make sense, of course, because the SAT tests are intended to be part of the college and university admissions process; students who are not intending, or expected, to go to college are obviously not likely to perform as well as students who are highly-motivated to get into a university. But in an age of “No Child Left Behind,” tragically farcical test-chasing has become standard operating procedure. When federal and state money become the goal, rather than education, one may expect the schools to “teach to the test.”

The story continues:

"Now we need to focus on raising SAT scores across the board," [Jacobs] added. Indeed. The most recent data indicate a vast achievement gap between white students and black and Hispanic students. Since 2005, the gap has extended by about 20 points in math and reading, reports The New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/08262009/news/regionalnews/sat_scores_hit_floor_in_dramatic_plummet_186485.ht m). White students now score nearly 100 points higher in reading and about 108 points higher in math than black and Hispanic students.

Generations of race-based busing and racially and ethnically-preferential university admissions have not yielded the desired equality of outcome. But the goal of education is not to educate races, but students. A whole host of factors are intertwined in the success, or failure, of any given school and any particular student. What is needed is a return to the basics in education, and to a model of education which view students as students, not lab rats for sociology experiments. Then educators might begin to see students, and not statistics.

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/culture/education/1747

FrankRep
08-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Related:

Teachers Paid to do Nothing

The New American | 26 June 2009

Hundreds of New York City school teachers accused of misconduct are receiving a salary to wile away time in temporary assignment centers. By Selwyn Duke

Story:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/culture/education/1299

roho76
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
I wonder how kids in Catholic, Private, and Charter schools are doing.

DFF
08-26-2009, 04:45 PM
^^^ Excellent question, since none of these rely on the Department Of Retardation for funding.

andrewh817
09-11-2009, 02:42 PM
They use headlines like these to say WE NEED MORE MONEY FOR EDUCATION. WE OWE IT TO OUR CHILDREN

Mini-Me
09-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Even though I know the education system is to blame, I still struggle not to blame the kids for being irredeemable idiots. :(

Epic
09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
I went to a good high school, but I didn't know one person out of my siblings or direct friends who didn't get a 800 on the math portion - it's that easy. It's really been dumbed down over the years, I suppose.

White students now score nearly 100 points higher in reading and about 108 points higher in math than black and Hispanic students.

And what about Asians? They always leave them out... they are too smart.

swirling_vortex
09-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I believe private schools get about 100-150 points higher on average compared to public schools. The problem though is that educational research can be politicized, so public school defenders usually come up with the excuse that socioeconomic factors throw the scores off.

Time did an article about it: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1670063,00.html

Edit: However, I believe the problem with education lies more with the family and what the child's environment is like. For instance, my public school was so-so and while there were some good teachers, there were a lot of minimal effort ones as well. However, I was never placed into day-care or alloted every toy that I found in interesting when I was young. My parents placed a large emphasis on learning new things and that certainly has carried with me today.

To give another example, my mom got a position as a substitute librarian for another public school. This school, however, held a lot of low-income students and I'd say the reason is that a lot of the parents simply didn't care. For instance, one girl asked my mom what my dad does and she tells him how he's an engineer for a plant. Her reply (paraphrasing) was, "Oh wow, he must be really smart! All my dad does is sit on the couch and listen to rap music all day." And this was in elementary school! In fact, this school is so bad that the average stay for a teacher there is only 5 weeks and I think a lot of it has to do with irresponsible parenting.

Todd
09-28-2009, 08:16 AM

^^^ Excellent question, since none of these rely on the Department Of Retardation for funding.

Charter schools? Seems like more government collusion with business.

http://normsnotes2.blogspot.com/2009/09/charter-schools-gamble.html

Charters are public schools in that the funding comes from state and
local school taxes. Imagine gets a certain amount of money for each of
its charter students based on the home district’s per-student expenses.
The more kids Imagine enrolls, the more money it gets (and the less
goes to traditional public schools.) Over the last few years, charters
have been successfully attracting more and more students: in central
Ohio, for example, Imagine’s budget doubled in 2005-06 and doubled
again the next year.

Brett
09-28-2009, 08:31 AM
My school offers SAT courses if you want to take them. I opted to study outside of class and did better.

It's not only the schools that are failing.

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Forget private schooling, I want to see how well home schooled students are doing. This is just anecdotal evidence, but every home schooled person I've met has had a far greater acuity to critical thinking, history, philosophy, mathematics, literature, etc. In essence, it's my belief that home schooling needs to become more pervasive, abolish the DoE, and get rid of the rigid "government" accreditation standards and allow Private schools to make their own standards.

It's always laughable how one can support education, and then support the Government controlling, funding, and assessing the curriculum. The Government will always act in it's self-interest. Fucking fools.