PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Replacement

limequat
08-26-2009, 09:44 AM
C'mon guys let get on this. This should be top priority right now. From the other thread I see Carla Howell and Bob Hedlund. Who's it gonna be?

Aratus
08-26-2009, 09:45 AM
i'm thinking of running in 2012...
do you EVEN grasp how organized
you need to be to GET on the ballot for
the SPECIAL ELECTION in FIVE MONTHs?

Aratus
08-26-2009, 09:46 AM
i am situated near worcester and boston...

Aratus
08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
most seasoned Democrats will wait a short and brief RESPECTFUL interview before tossing a slew of hats into the ring...
is it possible for us to have TEN g.o.p and/or 3rd party candidates in a "draft" of sorts as we sound out people for the special election run?
if we can get at least five 3rd party candidates and five g.o.p people on the special election ballots, would at least one of 'em be a breakout contender?

Aratus
08-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Mitt Romney ran against Senator Ted in 1994 and could "deja vu all over again repeat" retro-tech himself whilst cakewalking in his sleep...

dantheman
08-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Kennedy said before he died that he wanted the Governor of Mass. to pick his successor. But as we know the State Law was changed so that there is a special election 145 days after the seat is vacant.

But if this were happening before 1913, the State Legislature of Mass. would be voting on who the replacement is. Why did Congress pass a (and Woodrow Wilson sign into) law that changed it to a popular vote? I'm not saying I don't like the fact that we decide. But our Constitution originally mapped it out this way. Why would they change what the Founding Fathers thought was best? (Besides, Wilson signed something else into law in 1913 that we all hate on these forums...)

Aratus
08-26-2009, 10:25 AM
our state house is very Democrat as a body... our Republicans are nearly always a minority...
want me to say how fast a bill can be ramrodded thru the whole body if D.C & the DNC so chooses?

Ethek
08-26-2009, 10:37 AM
our state house is very Democrat as a body... our Republicans are nearly always a minority...
want me to say how fast a bill can be ramrodded thru the whole body if D.C & the DNC so chooses?

Just wish you all would quit flocking to NH and ME to vote for the same type of people becuase MA is so messed up ;)

Elwar
08-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Why did Congress pass a (and Woodrow Wilson sign into) law that changed it to a popular vote? I'm not saying I don't like the fact that we decide. But our Constitution originally mapped it out this way. Why would they change what the Founding Fathers thought was best?

Pull power from the state governments, give to the Federal government.

Number19
08-26-2009, 05:29 PM
C'mon guys let get on this. This should be top priority right now. From the other thread I see Carla Howell and Bob Hedlund. Who's it gonna be?Carla Howell? Is this the same who's been active in the LP and has run for the Senate, in the past.

limequat
08-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Carla Howell? Is this the same who's been active in the LP and has run for the Senate, in the past.

Yes, I understand she did quite well for a libertarian.

t0rnado
08-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Add George Phillies and Michael Cloud to that list too. Cloud scored about 370,000 votes(16-17%) in a Senate election as a Libertarian in Massachusetts.

Aratus
08-27-2009, 07:50 AM
last nite when viewing Channel Four, i learn that insted of Teddy's bill and his letter ...we might have a Democrat/Republican compromise
whereupon NOV 3rd is to the be the date of both party's primaries, and DECEMBER 15th is to be the date the general election is to be held.
this NEW scenario that i HEARD on our channel 4 is an acceloration & trunctuation of the timeframe all contenders have for the special election...

Aratus
08-27-2009, 07:53 AM
a mini-translation from my paragraph prose --- we all and they all have ONE MONTH taken off
of the timeframe we can run as either g.o.p or 3rd party people let alone as "blue dog" democrats.

Aratus
08-27-2009, 07:56 AM
any third party campaign or any write-in campaign may have DECEMBER FIFTEENTH as a timeframe...

we all have to hit the ground running if we expect to be out there with any petitions & signature drives...

CGeoffrion
08-27-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm a precinct leader in Western MA and I'm ready to campaign like its 2007 all over again. Let's not forget the organizational tools we already have. I propose we rally all our precinct leaders in MA to phone conference or something like that to decide who we in MA feel has the best chance of winning and who stands closest to our ideals as the campaign for liberty, and throw all our weight behind this person.

MA is a liberal cesspool, but there are many of us, particularly in Western MA who are itching to take on this fight. We must organize and rally, I'll organize a phone meeting myself if you you feel this is a good approach.

Aratus
08-27-2009, 11:08 AM
i can travel into gov't center and/or faneuil hall and hold a clipboard with some petitions!
we need to get up a list of viable candidates A.S.A.P in order to get qualifying signatures!

speciallyblend
08-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Carla Howell, i still get her email newsletters;)

Elwar
08-28-2009, 08:00 AM
The thing that we don't want to happen is for a split of the pro-freedom votes between the Republican and Libertarian. It's a guaranteed Democrat victory when that happens.

The Libertarians have done well in Mass mainly because nobody runs against Ted Kennedy. It might be best to look for a Ron Paul Republican and support them. Otherwise it'll be the Republicans own fault for losing yet another election by running a big government Republican sending small government votes to the LP.

Aratus
08-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Elwar...

Mitt Romney most recently in 1994
got a vote total in the 40% to 43% range
when Ted was completely fit & healthy...
Mitt ran a strong and intense campaign!

If Mitt wins the primary, should the Libertarian Party
candidate and the Constitution Party contender
be given a boost by our rEVOLUTIOn people???
this is like 2007/08 all over again in microcosm!

Aratus
08-28-2009, 08:24 AM
i repeat the ratio in registered voters

there are TWO Democrats to every Republican

the number of independent voters equals our g.o.p voters

limequat
08-28-2009, 11:13 AM
i repeat the ratio in registered voters

there are TWO Democrats to every Republican

the number of independent voters equals our g.o.p voters

So you're saying we need to back a libertarian?

Aratus
08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
maybe, anyway, possibly...for we all know it would take a HERCULEAN effort to get OUR people on the G.O.P primary ballot!
the election is fast and furious. very quick draw mcgraw. the total advantage is to a sitting political machine apparatus. we
need to AT LEAST have a Libertarian on the final ballot for i feel ex-gov mitt romney or someone of his near stature would and
possibly could have the resources to go the distance! think this through... Its TEDDY's seat that is to be the bone of contention!

limequat
08-28-2009, 11:31 AM
maybe, anyway, possibly...for we all know it would take a HERCULEAN effort to get OUR people on the G.O.P primary ballot!
the election is fast and furious. very quick draw mcgraw. the total advantage is to a sitting political machine apparatus. we
need to AT LEAST have a Libertarian on the final ballot for i feel ex-gov mitt romney or someone of his near stature would and
possibly could have the resources to go the distance! think this through... Its TEDDY's seat that is to be the bone of contention!

Yeah, it's a big deal. But, hey, if Ron Paul can run for president and start this whole mess, we can try a Massachusetts senate seat too. Imagine if RP himself endorsed -say- Carla Howell and the CFL got behind her? If nothing else it's practice for 2010 :)

limequat
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Add George Phillies and Michael Cloud to that list too. Cloud scored about 370,000 votes(16-17%) in a Senate election as a Libertarian in Massachusetts.

I'd buy Cloud, but Phillies seems like a -uh- longshot. Or longer shot.

Aratus
08-30-2009, 09:34 AM
LLS & limequat --- shemdogg has a rally on Sept 15th now being at john kerry's downtown
boston office. the MASSACHUSETTS FORUM has shemdogg's thread! i'm going to try to be at
the senator's office in the afternnon of the 15th, insted of barney frank's newton office as
originally planned. we all can talk about the drive to audit the fed and other issues in the light
of the special election that has to transpire [i presume] shortly before january 20th of 2010...

RM918
08-30-2009, 12:00 PM
You kidding? They're going to throw up a liberal who'll bring up Kennedy's name at least two dozen times at every speaking engagement and vow to vote exactly as he did, and he'll get a landslide because of how blind people have become.

Aratus
08-31-2009, 07:06 AM
RM918 --- we are trying to get people with clipboards & petitions up an running so as not
to have a freeze-out on our ballots of third party people. the race will be intense and fast...

Aratus
09-01-2009, 11:18 AM
december 8th is to be the day nfor our primaries in terms of our special election

january 19 2010 is the day of the general election for teddy kennedy's senate seat

i'm going to keep people up to date about any further qualifying dates for petitions etc

CGeoffrion
09-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Has anyone contacted Carla or any of our other potentials? If anybody has any contact info that would be awesome!

lx43
09-01-2009, 01:54 PM
I like Carla she seems to be the real deal.

Aratus
09-02-2009, 08:26 AM
i want to run for teddy kennedy's seat in 2012!!!
odds are 50/50 a liberal Democrat or a G.O.P neo-con
wins the upcoming JANUARY 19th of 2010 election.

Aratus
09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
scott brown, a local republican member of our legislature, wants to run for the seat.
marty meehan (D) ...one of our former representatives ...also is thinking of running.

angelatc
09-07-2009, 01:21 PM
But if this were happening before 1913, the State Legislature of Mass. would be voting on who the replacement is. Why did Congress pass a (and Woodrow Wilson sign into) law that changed it to a popular vote? I'm not saying I don't like the fact that we decide. But our Constitution originally mapped it out this way. Why would they change what the Founding Fathers thought was best? (Besides, Wilson signed something else into law in 1913 that we all hate on these forums...)

Congress didn't pass a law and change it. The Constitution was amended. That's a huge difference.

The reason they changed it was largely because a lot of the states were pretty lackadaisical about selecting senators and sending them to Washington. The Fed Gov wasn't really a priority.

Imperial
09-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Add Joe Kennedy to the list of people running for the seat in line with our views.

Oh, not THAT Joe Kennedy. This guy is a Libertarian. :D

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2009/09/independent-libertarian-joe-kennedy-running-for-senate-in-massachusetts/

Flash
09-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Add Joe Kennedy to the list of people running for the seat in line with our views.

Oh, not THAT Joe Kennedy. This guy is a Libertarian. :D

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2009/09/independent-libertarian-joe-kennedy-running-for-senate-in-massachusetts/

I hope he isn't running as an Independent like that site claims..

Aratus
09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
howie carr did not include tim cahill if only http://www.treasurercahill.com/ because he seeks to contest
deval patrick insted of ms. coakley!!! we have two races back to back, and howie carr can be a character.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1196240 here is his take on our local talents... our "hacks"

Aratus
09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
A CORRECTION to MY 'DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY' POLL
---I SHOULD HAVE INCLUDED STEPHEN LYNCH!----

i did an edit on my "Democratic Primary" thread due
to the bandwagoning arrival of Rep. Steve Lynch into
the race. as i said, things are heating up. ms. coakley
gets along with deval patrick. Steve Lynch (D) sometimes
does not vote in unison with our other Representatives in D.C!

Aratus
09-13-2009, 02:34 PM
SCOTT BROWN is more serious. Andrew Card did not leap in.
He's just turned 50 ...has a journalist wife, and his daughter
was a contestant was on American Idol. He's the G.O.P leader
inside our legislature. Right now, he's looking like the most
likely contender for either Stephen Lynch or Martha Coakley...

Aratus
01-17-2010, 09:58 AM
this lil ole thread is so quaintly dated in its innocent charm!
i didn't even sorta guess at how TIME would march on!
i sound egotistical & boastful when i debate running!

angelatc
01-17-2010, 10:02 AM
this lil ole thread is so quaintly dated in its innocent charm!
i didn't even sorta guess at how TIME would march on!
i sound egotistical & boastful when i debate running!

No you didn't. You sounded enthusiastic and charged to win. It's hard to get that spark to catch though.