PDA

View Full Version : What is the most dreaded enemy of public liberty?

Throwback280s
08-26-2009, 07:44 AM
"Of all the enemies to public liberty, ______ is perhaps the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other." – James Madison

A. government health care
B. taxation
C. debt
D. war

This new column identifies the threat:
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=107920

It also shows how all 4 options are interwoven.

Let's digg it.

catdd
08-26-2009, 08:02 AM
D.

This is what America could be.

"She goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy.

"She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all.

"She is the champion and vindicator only of her own.

"She will commend the general cause by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example."

Pennsylvania
08-26-2009, 08:36 AM
E. religion, the root of all authoritarianism: divine right of kings, indulgences, obedience etc...

Throwback280s
08-26-2009, 08:37 AM
The church dominated Dark Ages was one of the best eras of free labor, private property, and minimal government interference.

Pennsylvania
08-26-2009, 08:39 AM
The church dominated Dark Ages was one of the best eras of free labor, private property, and minimal government interference.

Was the inquisition a friend of public liberty?

Throwback280s
08-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Was it a friend of religion?

It was a government ploy to exploit a public banner (religion, class, race, etc) for power.

Pennsylvania
08-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Was it a friend of religion?

It was a government ploy to exploit a public banner (religion, class, race, etc) for power.

Are you referring to the Spanish Inquisition? The inquisition existed before this, it was only amplified by its unholy alliance with local governments.

Throwback280s
08-26-2009, 09:02 AM
It obviously had nothing to do with the orthodox teaching of that faith due to the fact that the founder of that faith was a Jew and specifically taught followers that there "was neither Jew nor Gentile, male or female" in him. It's totally individualistic and incompatible with genocide. The fact that statist leaders totally distorted that teaching is not a strike against religion but against government.

Pennsylvania
08-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Okay let's just agree to disagree? :) I don't want to turn this into another long thread about religion, but that is my opinion of the best answer to that question. Now, if I had to pick from A, B, C, or D, I'd go with D because I consider all acts of violence to be war, which includes those used to collect taxes and stamp out protests to policies of debt and universal healthcare.

ClayTrainor
08-26-2009, 09:15 AM
E. religion, the root of all authoritarianism: divine right of kings, indulgences, obedience etc...

Concur, philosophically, that religion is a threat to individual liberty.

I'm not against spirituality or even a "belief" in god, but religion itself implies a collective approach, and worship. I am against religion for the same reasons i am against communism.

In my opinion the MOST dreaded threat to liberty is the right to tax people under the threat of violence. Forced Taxation is terrorism, there is absolutely no discernible difference, it is the threat of violence, or use of violence to achieve a political goal. If you went to public school, you were educated by terrorists. Enforced Taxation is the biggest threat to individual liberty.

acptulsa
08-26-2009, 09:19 AM

And serfdom, fifty percent tax rates, public property (with protected game roaming it while people starved), death penalties for criticizing nobility, death penalties for not attending the official church, death penalties just because the marquis thought you were cute and wanted to torture you for his sexual gratification, purposely keeping people ignorant...

dsarver88
08-26-2009, 09:21 AM
E. silence

"Of all the enemies to public liberty, ______ is perhaps the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other." – James Madison

A. government health care
B. taxation
C. debt
D. war

This new column identifies the threat:
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=107920

It also shows how all 4 options are interwoven.

Let's digg it.

acptulsa
08-26-2009, 09:26 AM
E. silence

Interesting observation.

YouTube - Aimee Allen's "Unofficial" Silence is Violence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_mRgyIUuBc)

Throwback280s
08-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Lets get back to the initial article that started this thread.

Throwback280s
08-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Bump for freedom