PDA

View Full Version : Don't volunteer your advice to the Ron Paul campaign

erowe1
09-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Friends, we all know the campaign is flooded with emails, letters, and phone calls. I've seen a handful of threads on here in recent weeks by people who want us to help them give advice to the campaign about to get them to have Ron Paul go on your local radio program, to hire more staff, to tell Ron Paul how to look better in debates. There are already people in the campaign staff who know more about those things than you do. There's no point wasting your time, our time, and especially the time of the campaign staff with your backseat driving.

It needs to be we who follow the directives of the official campaign, not the other way around.

If you're going to send anything to the campaign, there better be money in it, or else you're doing more harm than good.

reduen
09-28-2007, 09:03 AM
I dissagree, Ron Paul's campaign is different. He has already stated time and time again that he is not running a campaign and that it is more like, we are running him. I think we should keep it that way!

Send him advice, and send him money folks. It's all good... :)

micahnelson
09-28-2007, 09:07 AM
1) Do What You Want

2) Don't expect anyone to care

3) Don't get bent out of shape if no one cares

4) Don't let the fact that no one cares stop you from doing things you CAN do- like handing out fliers, talking to friends, etc.

Chester Copperpot
09-28-2007, 09:08 AM
YOu know whats fucked up.. I agree with all THREE posts.. and theyre all different..

erowe1
09-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Ron Paul has NEVER asked his supporters to send their advice to the campaign. If he were that much of a fool he wouldn't deserve to be president. He wants our help not our advice. Please stop wasting the time of his professional staff with all of the crazy ideas that you all think are brilliant. Please, for the sake of the movement, don't send anything but money to the campaign.

jj111
09-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Face it folks, they don't have time to debate all the pieces of unsolicited advice they get. They must get tens of thousands of emails every day, not only advice but questions, and they have no way to respond. I think the less we ask of them the better. If you want to give advice, make sure you have accompanied it with a maximum donation of $2300.

BillyDkid
Maybe don't fret about what other people do or how they should behave.

Stealth4
Ron Paul has NEVER asked his supporters to send their advice to the campaign. If he were that much of a fool he wouldn't deserve to be president. He wants our help not our advice. Please stop wasting the time of his professional staff with all of the crazy ideas that you all think are brilliant. Please, for the sake of the movement, don't send anything but money to the campaign.

I have this buzzing sound in my ear....where is it coming from?

toowm
09-28-2007, 09:13 AM
I sent a suggestion to the campaign to contact the Home School Legal Defense a while ago. They replied with a nice note and did contact the organization.

micahnelson is spot on:

1) Do What You Want

2) Don't expect anyone to care

3) Don't get bent out of shape if no one cares

4) Don't let the fact that no one cares stop you from doing things you CAN do- like handing out fliers, talking to friends, etc.

micahnelson
09-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Ron Paul needs a mohawk. I keep telling him this and so ive decided my vote goes to the candidate who gets a mohawk first.

micahnelson
09-28-2007, 09:14 AM
micahnelson is spot on:

I couldn't agree more.

reduen
09-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Ron Paul needs a mohawk. I keep telling him this and so ive decided my vote goes to the candidate who gets a mohawk first.

lol, that is funny.

reduen
09-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Ok, ding ding ding... micahnelson is the winner! :D

OptionsTrader
09-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Instead of "Don't volunteer your advice to the Ron Paul campaign "

How about:

"Don't command others regarding what you think they should be doing for the Ron Paul campaign "

JMann
09-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Friends, we all know the campaign is flooded with emails, letters, and phone calls. I've seen a handful of threads on here in recent weeks by people who want us to help them give advice to the campaign about to get them to have Ron Paul go on your local radio program, to hire more staff, to tell Ron Paul how to look better in debates. There are already people in the campaign staff who know more about those things than you do. There's no point wasting your time, our time, and especially the time of the campaign staff with your backseat driving.

It needs to be we who follow the directives of the official campaign, not the other way around.

If you're going to send anything to the campaign, there better be money in it, or else you're doing more harm than good.

I'm sure there are people on these boards with much more campaign experience than many of those on Paul's staff. I've been running nonprofit campaigns for 8 years. I'm sure some of his staff has more experience but I'm sure some are very green and not in the wacko global warming way.

constituent
09-28-2007, 09:22 AM
i think erowe needs to stop coming around here if all
of his posts are going to be those of an assjack...

i'm about to leave town, but if you wana flame over this
baby

LET'S FLAME!!!!

everyone else... do all the armchair advising you desire (just don't flood
the campaign's e-mail w/ it), WE'RE DOING IT FOR US

NOT HQ!

You do realize that you've just told everyone... hey, what you've been doing
is working and RP is winning as a result....

please please please STOP... (I've got a horse in this race).

erowe1
09-28-2007, 09:22 AM
I sent a suggestion to the campaign to contact the Home School Legal Defense a while ago. They replied with a nice note and did contact the organization.

micahnelson is spot on:

OK, actually this one makes more sense. I think that something short and sweet where you provide them with a potentially valuable contact, and they can take it from there, can be helpful.

It's all the stuff about how Ron Paul needs to improve this or that or how he needs to make a time commitment to a certain venue that happens to be in your hometown that makes no sense. We're here to help Paul's chances to become president, not hurt them by wasting their time they can spend on better things. If we admit that the campaign is having a problem going through the flood of communications it's been getting, then we have to admit that it would be helpful if we do our part to lessen that.

erowe1
09-28-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm sure there are people on these boards with much more campaign experience than many of those on Paul's staff. I've been running nonprofit campaigns for 8 years. I'm sure some of his staff has more experience but I'm sure some are very green and not in the wacko global warming way.

I don't doubt that this is true. But the people with this experience won't be asking for help on these forums. And they would know better ways to help get their advice to those that could use it than to send an email or letter that will get lost in the pile. They probably either have a number for the specific person they need to contact or a good understanding of the proper channels to go through.

constituent
09-28-2007, 09:27 AM
I would like to point everyone to the VIEW ALL POSTS option that arises (in the dropdown menu) when you click on the EROWE name...

"Don't do, Don't do, Sorry.. let's call a truce, Don't this, Don't that.."

see for yourself and make up your own mind before accepting
this very poor, unsolicited advice.

erowe1
09-28-2007, 09:31 AM
I would like to point everyone to the VIEW ALL POSTS option that arises (in the dropdown menu) when you click on the EROWE name...

"Don't do, Don't do, Sorry.. let's call a truce, Don't this, Don't that.."

see for yourself and make up your own mind before accepting
this very poor, unsolicited advice.

OK. But I'm not asking people to do something because I'm some kind of authority. I'm only asking people to do what makes sense and is helpful. I'm sure a lot of people would have to agree that these forums are filled with bad ideas and one of the ways to use these forums in a way that's most helpful to the movement is to give each other corrective advice for those bad ideas. This in-house venue is exactly the place where the Ron Paul grassroots efforts can have "interventions" where people in the movement who are doing more harm than good can learn better ways.

OptionsTrader
09-28-2007, 09:34 AM
We'll do whatever the hell we want, when we want, and with our own judgement.

constituent
09-28-2007, 09:34 AM
then close your mouth and open your eyes...

class is in session.

austin356
09-28-2007, 09:41 AM
People this campaign organization (the professional one) is too freakin' busy to have to read and respond to your personal ideas on how to improve things.

They have been trying to set up an IVR system for over a month, but have made little progress; They have been trying to update all signage for a couple of months, but have made little progress.These people are more than swamped. These people need to work on getting what they are already trying to get done before they start taking advice from 100,000 grassroots supporters.

Let the campaign be; Contact your state coordinator if something is needed and he/she can pass it on if the campaign needs it. If you dont have a state coordinator, then get off your asses, get all your meetups on a conference call can set up a statewide organization. The campaign expects states to set themselves up, appoint their own people, and structure themselves in a way that best suits that state; Then and only then will you possibly get any of the money back into your state that you sent to the campaign.

end of rant :)

erowe1
09-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Very well said Austin. Contacting state coordinators with good advice seems like the way to go.

davidhperry
09-28-2007, 09:49 AM
People this campaign organization (the professional one) is too freakin' busy to have to read and respond to your personal ideas on how to improve things.

They have been trying to set up an IVR system for over a month, but have made little progress; They have been trying to update all signage for a couple of months, but have made little progress.These people are more than swamped. These people need to work on getting what they are already trying to get done before they start taking advice from 100,000 grassroots supporters.

Let the campaign be; Contact your state coordinator if something is needed and he/she can pass it on if the campaign needs it. If you dont have a state coordinator, then get off your asses, get all your meetups on a conference call can set up a statewide organization. The campaign expects states to set themselves up, appoint their own people, and structure themselves in a way that best suits that state; Then and only then will you possibly get any of the money back into your state that you sent to the campaign.

I completely agree. I've been communicating with HQ about the rally and fundraiser we're organizing in Nashville on Oct. 6th and they said that they're getting completely worn out with people contacting them with what amounts to nagging requests that they do this and that. As it has been said before, they have a very good sense about what they are doing and how to do it effectively. Please don't hinder them by flooding the phone and email with random ideas. They know where you are and have your contact info. When they need you, they will call on you, trust me!

constituent
09-28-2007, 09:55 AM
hperry hit it on the head... don't flood the campaign w/ calls or e-mails for the sake of "random ideas"

rather, come here... check the search engine and see if it's already been discussed, if so.. bump the thread by putting in your two cents.

if not, VET your ideas HERE!!! seems to have worked alright so far.

Suzu
09-28-2007, 09:58 AM

I hope one of these days he shows up on Letterman wearing a tinfoil hat.

stevedasbach
09-28-2007, 09:59 AM
I concur with all the pleas to not send in your "suggestions" to the campaign.

However, if, in spite of this, you feel compelled to send in a suggestion anyway, please consider framing your suggestion like this:

"I know you've probably already thought of this, but on the off chance that you haven't, ....[state your idea]."

"I know you're busy, so don't worry about responding unless you have questions or want additional information. You all are doing a great job. Thank you!"

OptionsTrader
09-28-2007, 10:00 AM
I just plain don't like the thread at all.

We all have our own personal judgement and we are going to use it regardless of some thread on this board.

Commanding others to adopt your own personal judgement is not going to change anything.

erowe1
09-28-2007, 10:00 AM
hperry hit it on the head... don't flood the campaign w/ calls or e-mails for the sake of "random ideas"

rather, come here... check the search engine and see if it's already been discussed, if so.. bump the thread by putting in your two cents.

if not, VET your ideas HERE!!! seems to have worked alright so far.

The problem is we've seen people bringing their random ideas on here and get group hugs instead instead of people reminding them not to contact HQ. I'm thinking of people like that guy recently who just knew that Ron Paul needed to be on his local sports radio show and determined that not only did he need to contact HQ more than once himself, but he came on here to recruit more people to send the same message to HQ, so that instead of having to waste one minute reading and maybe responding to that idea they had to waste maybe 20. If this thread causes people to think twice before doing that, then it will be very successful.

erowe1
09-28-2007, 10:01 AM
I just plain don't like the thread at all.

We all have our own personal judgement and we are going to use it regardless of some thread on this board.

Commanding others to adopt your own personal judgement is not going to change anything.

Some people are like that. But there are others of us who like to hear good advice.

Bradley in DC
09-28-2007, 10:03 AM

Amen.

We had the campaign open themselves with a thread here then people bitched at them, "I emailed the entire staff incessantly, generally made myself as much of an irritant as possible, and they ignore me." They've answered their own question.

erowe1
09-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the affirmation Bradley. I think with your voice added to this, fewer people are going to argue against the point of this thread.

constituent
09-28-2007, 11:03 AM
so the geeks just should let the wonks (http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker82.html) take it from here?

that's cool. have at it... been good to know ya'

Revolution9
09-28-2007, 11:21 AM
so the geeks just should let the wonks (http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker82.html) take it from here?

that's cool. have at it... been good to know ya'

Pay them no mind. Keep doing what has been working. In true geek fashion the bugs will get worked out much better with an online system than one awaiting perfection for a public release. Let the wonks make their rules and dress in uniform dockers and polo shirts or suit and tie.. They have their purpose. The geeks are a different breed and will be the ones in the end who have brought in the most conversions and voters. After all..who did the videos for the most part that are responsible for rapid fire conversions with one or two views, as well as set up the chat rooms and video streams and umpteen websites. It sure was not the wonk faction. Let them do the paperwork and anal retentve crap. Let the geeks make the fun happen and the wonks can tag along and round up registrations and donations etc..and worry about precinct captains and stuff.

The circus administrators (grassroot wonks) know better than to stick their nose into the circus performers (grassroot geeks) acts. The attendance (interest) will go down at the gate. Conversely, the circus admin and performers shouldn't phone head office (campaign HQ) to tell them about their latest somersault or flat tire on the tour bus..

Best
Randy

Henry
09-28-2007, 11:22 AM
In a situation where you gaurantee a minimum of 50K and a strong likelyhood of hitting 100K in fundraising at an scheduled event. Does anyone really believe that you shouldn't have the expectation, for at least the courtesy of an answer to an interview request.

OptionsTrader
09-28-2007, 11:23 AM
In a situation where you gaurantee a minimum of 50K and a strong likelyhood of hitting 100K in fundraising at an scheduled event. Does anyone really believe that you shouldn't have the expectation, for at least the courtesy of an answer to an interview request.

Nope. Don't expect a thing. They are swamped, and don't take it personally.

erowe1
09-28-2007, 12:07 PM

When you have an opportunity like that, just take it to your state coordinator. If it's the real thing then that person will be able to arrange it with the campaign in the timing that works best for them. That would be much better than sending a message to anyone at the ronpaul2008.com domain.

RP4ME
09-28-2007, 01:22 PM
i wish he would get a suit and tie from brooks brothers insetad of Mens warehouse

constituent
09-28-2007, 01:33 PM
i wish he would get a suit and tie from brooks brothers insetad of Mens warehouse

why, so he can look like a criminal?

remaxjon
09-28-2007, 01:46 PM
don't pee in the wind

good advice for all