PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Garbage to save US economy

Krugerrand
08-24-2009, 11:03 AM
I just read: Latest in Stimulus: 'Cash for Refrigerators.' (http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20090824/bs_bw/aug2009db20090821304909)

That got me thinking ... what better way to encourage our economic plan of "Resource Depletion for Wasted Consumption" than simply paying people cash for their garbage! We'll give people $20,000 for every dumpster they can fill. of course, we'll simply print/tax/borrow to get the cash.

I assume most people are at least a little bit like me. I have too much stuff. Closets, attic, garage, basement - they all hold junk that I should get rid of. If it makes sense to pay $4500 for a car worth $300 or to buy a perfectly good car and destroy it for the $4500 rebate, certainly my idea must have merit.

Having too much junk can inhibit people from buying other things they don't need. This is an obvious drain on the economy. Now, if somebody were to pay me for this junk that I'm holding on to, I would spark a whole new wave of wastful consumption for the betterment of what Bernanke calls an economy.

Now, you may have a valid concerned about this program: people might save rather than consume their dumpster money. But, don't worry, I have a plan for that. The $20,000 will be issued as a Visa Cash Card. It can only be redeemed in worthless goods. It will expire to 3 months.

Sadly, this may hurt the junk storage industry ... but we can always subsidize them until people can replenish their surplus junk levels.

Original_Intent
08-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Cash for CRT Televisions! Big screens for all! (Disregard the image of Big Brother!)

phill4paul
08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Shush! Don't give them any more ideas!:eek:

roho76
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
But what about the minimalists?

Icymudpuppy
08-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Would sure beat the pitiful amount I expect to get by wasting Labor day weekend manning the garage sale.

brandon
08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
~snip~
hahhh good idea.

I say instead of destroying the junk we have the government bury it 100 yards underground, and then give out contracts for the junk storage companies to dig it up. We can pay them $20,000 per dumpster dug up. This way no industry will suffer from this great plan.

Krugerrand
08-24-2009, 12:17 PM
But what about the minimalists?

Minimalists will have to ban together and vote yourself some of your neighbor's junk.

Krugerrand
08-24-2009, 12:20 PM
hahhh good idea.

I say instead of destroying the junk we have the government bury it 100 yards underground, and then give out contracts for the junk storage companies to dig it up. We can pay them $20,000 per dumpster dug up. This way no industry will suffer from this great plan.

Now this is what I like to see ... creative thinking! Perhaps you and I can put together a campaign package for McCain to try again in 2012! With ideas like this, he won't have to suspend his campaign to deal with the economy.