PDA

View Full Version : H.R. 2943 - Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act

Pennsylvania
08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I searched and didn't see another thread about this bill, which we should all write to our representatives about, in addition to the Industrial Hemp bill (H.R. 1866) (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=187582).

Introduced on June 18th by Congressman Frank, and co-sponsored by Congressman Paul, Congressman Kucinich et al, H.R. 2943...

[...] Prohibits the imposition of any penalty under an Act of Congress for the possession of marijuana for personal use or for the not-for-profit transfer between adults of marijuana for personal use. Deems the possession of 100 grams or less of marijuana as personal use (one ounce or less for a not-for-profit transfer between adults). Allows the imposition of a civil penalty under the Controlled Substances Act for the public use of marijuana if such penalty does not exceed $100.

Source (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h2943/show)

There is also a template letter for you to use to write your representatives available here. (https://secure2.convio.net/mpp/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=346)

coyote_sprit
08-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Personal use? That means you can't sell it? So you can only grow it yourself? So unless you have a pot plantation you won't be able to smoke still. Sound about right? It's a step in the right direction but for most marijuana users it would still be useless.

Pennsylvania
08-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Personal use? That means you can't sell it? So you can only grow it yourself? So unless you have a pot plantation you won't be able to smoke still. Sound about right? It's a step in the right direction but for most marijuana users it would still be useless.

Well I wouldn't say you'd need a "plantation". More like a flower pot and some dirt.

pcosmar
08-22-2009, 10:55 AM

You would not need a "plantation". A couple pots and a window sill would grow a personal supply.
Sound like a good bill.
I have my doubts about it being passed. Those that want it do not have the media resources to counter the Propaganda on a large scale. Opponents to this do.

Still worth a try.

Scofield
08-22-2009, 11:03 AM
The Federal Government has no constitutional power to be involved with this.

There is no reason for there to be a piece of legislation saying you can grow your own cannabis and smoke it, as the Constitution doesn't give Congress the power to say you can't! I wish, just once, our Representatives would read the "god damn piece of paper."

Oh, and also, regardless of what the Federal Government has to say, your State government can still outlaw cannabis. You should be looking to your State Reps. to legalize cannabis, not your Federal Reps.

Pennsylvania
08-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh, and also, regardless of what the Federal Government has to say, your State government can still outlaw cannabis. You should be looking to your State Reps. to legalize cannabis, not your Federal Reps.

You are correct, but in places like California (http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6331), the state government has already decriminalized Marijuana, yet the federal government continues to enforce its own policy of criminalization in that state. Unless we want this to happen in other states which decriminalize, we need to fight the fight on both levels.

Pennsylvania
08-23-2009, 10:58 AM
bump

Charlie41
08-23-2009, 07:30 PM
So if you get rid of all the laws that the feds have no business dealing with (wow, a lot comes to mind).

What then do you do with the thousands in prisons for personally using it?

TCE
08-23-2009, 08:20 PM
So if you get rid of all the laws that the feds have no business dealing with (wow, a lot comes to mind).

What then do you do with the thousands in prisons for personally using it?

They're screwed, unfortunately. Hopefully that would make parole easier. We seriously need to get on board with HR 1866.

Pennsylvania
10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
bump

Pennsylvania
10-18-2009, 07:02 PM
bump for freedom, use the template peeps

t0rnado
10-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I actually just wrote a paper on this bill for school. I think Ron Paul sponsored HR2942 also, which bans the federal government from interfering with state's that have legalized medical marijuana.

Pennsylvania
10-19-2009, 08:27 AM
How would everyone feel about a fax-bomb for this bill?

Matt Collins
10-19-2009, 10:13 AM
We don't need the federal government to create new laws to "legalize it". We need the federal government to repeal all prior and unconstitutional restricting laws on the matter.

Dieseler
10-19-2009, 10:19 AM
This is great.
I'm sure 9 out of 10 would agree that stoned Americans will be much easier to pacify and control.

Dieseler
10-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Get stoned, get chipped and go eat some snacks.

Dieseler
10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Good for the economy and the Government coffers.
I'm sure they will tax it.

brandon
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM

And you have to be responsible. Responsibility isn't a strong point for most of the pot heads I know. ;)

Dieseler
10-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah, You all keep your heads clear and get this done so you can get high and forget about it.
Haha.
No wait...

zach
10-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Obviously, most people aren't responsible when it comes to things like pot.

I mean, find the users here who smoke it, and obviously, they're irresponsible.

Obviously.

RevolutionSD
10-19-2009, 10:45 AM

True. Why should we beg our masters for "personal use", when they say we can't sell it? Where would we get it if it's illegal to sell?

Dieseler
10-19-2009, 10:47 AM
True. Why should we beg our masters for "personal use", when they say we can't sell it? Where would we get it if it's illegal to sell?

You're new dealer.
The Government.

Brian4Liberty
10-19-2009, 10:50 AM
We don't need the federal government to create new laws to "legalize it". We need the federal government to repeal all prior and unconstitutional restricting laws on the matter.

^This.

Brian4Liberty
10-19-2009, 10:53 AM
You are correct, but in places like California (http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6331), the state government has already decriminalized Marijuana, yet the federal government continues to enforce its own policy of criminalization in that state. Unless we want this to happen in other states which decriminalize, we need to fight the fight on both levels.

I believe there are medical marijuana laws (licensed and regulated), not really "decriminalization" in CA. The Feds come in and bust medical marijuana "shops".

I.e. look at your link. Cultivation is a felony in CA:

http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4525

Pennsylvania
10-19-2009, 11:07 AM
So I assume nobody's up for a fax-bomb...

Yeah, You all keep your heads clear and get this done so you can get high and forget about it.
Haha.
No wait...

Ron Paul is for this legislation. Isn't that a good enough reason to support it?

Dieseler
10-19-2009, 11:13 AM
So I assume nobody's up for a fax-bomb...

Ron Paul is for this legislation. Isn't that a good enough reason to support it?

Nope.
Not at this time.
Too many pressing issues at the moment far more important in my opinion than to be wasting time on legalizing recreational drug use that the proceeds of will only be further used against us.
A clear head is what I intend to keep from here on out, do whatever you like though as its your head.

Pennsylvania
10-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Nope.
Not at this time.
Too many pressing issues at the moment far more important in my opinion than to be wasting time on legalizing recreational drug use that the proceeds of will only be further used against us.

I think you are trivializing the issue here. Ron Paul obviously does not think that all other efforts toward freedom should be put on hold just because issues like the Federal Reserve, socialized health care, and cap and trade are on the table, otherwise he would not have co-sponsored the legislation. The drug war is still a huge drain on financial resources. I don't see how taxes on legal sale could possibly hurt us more than we are already hearting from the costs of prohibition.

And how much time is it really going to take us to do a fax-bomb? Seconds per person? Minutes? Sheesh, I'm not asking for a public demonstration or anything. :o

Dieseler
10-19-2009, 11:27 AM
I think you are trivializing the issue here. Ron Paul obviously does not think that all other efforts toward freedom should be put on hold just because issues like the Federal Reserve, socialized health care, and cap and trade are on the table, otherwise he would not have proposed the legislation. The drug war is still a huge drain on financial resources. I don't see how taxes on legal sale could possibly hurt us more than we are already hearting from the costs of prohibition.

And how much time is it really going to take us to do a fax-bomb? Seconds per person? Minutes? Sheesh, I'm not asking for a public demonstration or anything. :o

Go for it!

Working Poor
10-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Everybody don't forget to call...especially if your state has decriminalized. California ought to really exercise their clout at this time and I am sure the organization "NORMAL" is all over this bill.

TCE
10-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Nope.
Not at this time.
A clear head is what I intend to keep from here on out, do whatever you like though as its your head.

You mean with a Liberal Administration in office? Because in 2013 when the Neo-Cons are in power it will be easier to pass anti-drug war laws? With how much power Barney Frank now has, and with him on board with medical marijuana, there has been no better time than now.

specsaregood
10-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Are there any other substances in the U.S. where you can exchange it freely but are not allowed by law to charge for it?!

YumYum
10-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Are there any other substances in the U.S. where you can exchange it freely but are not allowed by law to charge for it?!

Sex.

Bruno
10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
And you have to be responsible. Responsibility isn't a strong point for most of the pot heads I know. ;)

The responsible ones are mostly the ones you don't know smoke pot. ;)

NerveShocker
10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Sex.

Not in Vegas.. and most other places in the world come to think of it.

specsaregood
10-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Not in Vegas.. and most other places in the world come to think of it.

Actually, prostitution is not legal in the city of las vegas. Outside the city, yes.

Meatwasp
10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
I believe there are medical marijuana laws (licensed and regulated), not really "decriminalization" in CA. The Feds come in and bust medical marijuana "shops".

I.e. look at your link. Cultivation is a felony in CA:

http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4525

It is legal in our county and I am really pi---d that it isn't legal in other places. Our town is the worst stinking pot smelling place. Lots of people are getting allergic reaction from the crap. Our beautiful mountain air is a smoke house of pot. If they spread it around more the pot heads might go back from where they came from.

Bman
10-19-2009, 03:11 PM
The responsible ones are mostly the ones you don't know smoke pot. ;)

That rules you out.:p

Dieseler
10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
You mean with a Liberal Administration in office? Because in 2013 when the Neo-Cons are in power it will be easier to pass anti-drug war laws? With how much power Barney Frank now has, and with him on board with medical marijuana, there has been no better time than now.

Sure, go ahead and be distracted by this while this Liberal Administration partners with the other Liberal Elite of the world to decide more important factors in your future.
I sincerely hope you Git' er' done because I can pretty much assure that you are gonna want something stronger than pot to keep your mind off the problems these people are planning for you.

specsaregood
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
./

Dieseler
10-19-2009, 05:09 PM
It may not seem important to you; but every year thousands of people are irreparably harmed by the govt because of the federal prohibition on marijuana. Many of them could even be allies on other issues and lose their voting rights as part of the drug "war". Not to mention it increasing our national trade deficit (how many $$$ flow out of this country for MJ?) , the war on it further justifies the police state and increases crime. And then add to that the fact that hemp isn't legal to grow because of the same prohibition. Sounds fairly important in the scheme things.

Fire it up!

YouTube - Godsmack - Sweet Leaf (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H_RXR31kuE&feature=related)

surf
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM

from the original post
(one ounce or less for a not-for-profit transfer between adults)

it's 4:20 in my time zone:cool:

Go Sounders!

WClint
10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
What grinds my gears is whenever I talk to pot hots about this. I say the government shouldnt have anything to do with drugs. They actually want the government to tax and regulate it, than there others who want to set up drug rehabilitation clinics.

It should be legal to do what you want but also not regulated by the government and sure as shit shouldn't offer government sponsored drug reconciliation centers.

If you want to do something that I think is harmful to you thats your business but dont except to come crying to me when things go south.

TCE
10-19-2009, 06:45 PM
What grinds my gears is whenever I talk to pot hots about this. I say the government shouldnt have anything to do with drugs. They actually want the government to tax and regulate it, than there others who want to set up drug rehabilitation clinics.

It should be legal to do what you want but also not regulated by the government and sure as shit shouldn't offer government sponsored drug reconciliation centers.

If you want to do something that I think is harmful to you thats your business but dont except to come crying to me when things go south.

I don't use pot, and probably never will, but I am a firm believer in the legalization of marijuana. If the people you talk to say they'll accept a tax on it, that's one thing. Most states have a sales tax, so them taxing marijuana isn't out of the ordinary. An excise tax on marijuana shouldn't be in place, though. Saying "the government should tax it and regulate it" is too broad, what did they specifically mean?

Meatwasp
10-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Let Renolds package it and sell it like plain tobacco cigarettes.

specsaregood
10-19-2009, 07:25 PM
./

Oyate
10-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Well I'll be. It's the return of the cat-herders! Haven't seen so many since the campaign. Let's see if I can do the cat herder thing: NO, your initiative sucks, mine rocks. Yours is irrelevant, mine is important. You are wasting your time and I am fighting for freedom. Why don't you support MY initiative and abandon yours? Your stupid initiative is wasting everybody's time so stop. My issue is the most important so if you cared about freedom you would support ME!

And to echo some other posters, because of your position you are lazy, irresponsible, ugly, dumb and you should be shot.The dictatorial government is bad unless I agree with them in which case......GO GOVERNMENT!

TCE
10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
What is interesting about this bill is that it completely forbids making a profit off of it. It is a totally uncapitalistic bill, I can see why RP supports it; but it must have taken him a bit to decide. As it is completely anti-free-market, yes?

I think this is similar to jamaica's laws, where it is legal to posesses and give away; but not legal to sell.

Growing pot? It's a step in the right direction, that's all we can ask for.

dannno
10-20-2009, 09:56 AM

You have to at least consider that when a cannabis user says they want the substance taxed that it a CONCESSION on their part, not a DEMAND....

I agree about the clinic stuff as well, but you have to consider that first of all people generally don't have addiction problems with cannabis, and secondly that is ANOTHER concession that they are making to statists who think that drug use would explode if it weren't for the drug war.. these arguments are designed for people who don't understand the concept that the war on drugs has increased drug use because of the profit margins that are made by dealers. Treating drug users would be MUCH cheaper than continuing the war on drugs. These people are simply presenting BETTER alternatives. These arguments are not designed for liberty oriented individuals. I'm sure they'd prefer your solution of just leaving people alone.

specsaregood
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
these arguments are designed for people who don't understand the concept that the war on drugs has increased drug use because of the profit margins that are made by dealers.

So the solution is to completely outlaw any form of commerce in regards to MJ? That is what this bill proposes......which would you prefer taxation and potential form of commerce? Or what this bill proposes? (not accepting the "leave me alone" answer that is)

JeNNiF00F00
10-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Well I'll be. It's the return of the cat-herders! Haven't seen so many since the campaign. Let's see if I can do the cat herder thing: NO, your initiative sucks, mine rocks. Yours is irrelevant, mine is important. You are wasting your time and I am fighting for freedom. Why don't you support MY initiative and abandon yours? Your stupid initiative is wasting everybody's time so stop. My issue is the most important so if you cared about freedom you would support ME!

And to echo some other posters, because of your position you are lazy, irresponsible, ugly, dumb and you should be shot.The dictatorial government is bad unless I agree with them in which case......GO GOVERNMENT!

I totally agree. Why should I support your shit, if youre not willing to support mine. Fuck that.

dannno
10-20-2009, 11:53 AM
So the solution is to completely outlaw any form of commerce in regards to MJ? That is what this bill proposes......which would you prefer taxation and potential form of commerce? Or what this bill proposes? (not accepting the "leave me alone" answer that is)

LOL, commerce of MJ is already outlawed.. This bill is not outlawing commerce of cannabis, it is allowing individuals to possess or transfer cannabis without facing prosecution.

So yes, I'd prefer taxation and a potential form of commerce over this bill, but this bill is not the thing that is going to stop that from happening..

JeNNiF00F00
10-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Obviously, most people aren't responsible when it comes to things like pot.

I mean, find the users here who smoke it, and obviously, they're irresponsible.

Obviously.

This is the biggest load of shit I have heard all day. I hope you are being sarcastic, considering that probably half the boards smoke cannabis.

These are typical comments and beliefs that turn MANY people away from the Republican Party. :mad: This is one issue that got me involved with Ron Paul, and its an issue that may one day turn me over to the dark side if it means getting this decriminalized or legalized.

http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity-lifestyle/articles/living/female-stoners <<<<THIS is the type bullshit I have had to put up with in the past because people are too ignorant to realize that MOST RESPONSIBLE professionals out there smoke cannabis! :mad:

US "potheads" have been with you guys every step of the way with campaigning and getting bills passed, and then when something like this comes up you ignorantly just shrug it off and leave these people in the cold. ITs messed up, retarded and just plain wrong.

This is about more than just getting high. Its about having the right to put what you want in your own body, without having fear that some group of robocop federal agents are going to come busting in your door, kill your dog, possibly shoot someone in the back, while theyre kicking your ass as youre handcuffed face down with your nose pressed down in the carpet. But yeah, maybe there are more important issues out there. :rolleyes:

specsaregood
10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
LOL, commerce of MJ is already outlawed.. This bill is not outlawing commerce of cannabis, it is allowing individuals to possess or transfer cannabis without facing prosecution.

So yes, I'd prefer taxation and a potential form of commerce over this bill, but this bill is not the thing that is going to stop that from happening..

allowing "transfer cannabis" only if it is a "not-for-profit transfer".

I'm just nitpicking; but as I asked earlier in the thread, is there any other substance in the US that has to abide by that rule? (somebody suggested sex; but that is a "service" not a product).

Seem like a rather unamerican rule to put in place.

dannno
10-20-2009, 12:08 PM
allowing "transfer cannabis" only if it is a "not-for-profit transfer".

I'm just nitpicking; but as I asked earlier in the thread, is there any other substance in the US that has to abide by that rule? (somebody suggested sex; but that is a "service" not a product).

Seem like a rather unamerican rule to put in place.

I agree there are no not-for-profit transfers allowed, but those are already not allowed...

For some perspective, I think you should note that currently if I were to GIVE drugs to somebody, for free, I could be prosecuted for the sale of drugs.. Why? Because they don't have to prove that I got paid to prosecute me for sale, they just have to prove that the transfer took place. The logic is that maybe I already got paid, or maybe the payment came in the form of a weapons transfer in another county, or perhaps I will be paid in the future.. This new law mandates that they need to prove that a monetary transaction took place where the seller profited.. that is a difficult thing to do until you start getting into large scale trafficking, etc..

The point is that this law is a step in the right direction, it is not limiting the future legalization movement for cannabis.

Personally I don't sell cannabis, but I used to be in college. When a friend asked for an herb hookup, I'd often go buy some herb and split it with them. I didn't make any profit. This is EXTREMELY common among most cannabis users who don't sell it, they will often make not-for-profit "transfers" between friends.. So this is a good thing that they added into the law.

dannno
10-20-2009, 12:12 PM
This is the biggest load of shit I have heard all day. I hope you are being sarcastic, considering that probably half the boards smoke cannabis.

I think they were being sarcastic.. but the rest of you're post was correct, a lot of professionals smoke herb.. and the most responsible ones are the ones who usually have to hide it because they have a lot of responsibilities like kids or a job where they wouldn't want people to find out due to the stigma.

Pennsylvania
10-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Right on Dannno... Concession NOT Demand!

Most arrests are for possession. Let's end it!

specsaregood
10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
The point is that this law is a step in the right direction, it is not limiting the future legalization movement for cannabis.

And just think about how much more $$$ could go to liberty candidates if liberty-loving-mj-users could just grow it or get it for free and didn't have to pay fines or court fees, etc.

The question I didn't see referenced anywhere is, will this also legalize hemp? It doesn't seem so. If not, then they are placating the public; while still propping up other industries where hemp could compete.

dannno
10-20-2009, 12:22 PM
And just think about how much more $$$ could go to liberty candidates of liberty-loving-mj-users could just grow it or get it for free and didn't have to pay fines or court fees, etc.

LOL, yes, I essentially pay a $250+ tax every month for my medicine because it is illegal.

If I had an extra $250 every month I'm sure I'd be maxed out on Rand and Schiff by now.

Imagine if I didn't have to pay income taxes....

The question I didn't see referenced anywhere is, will this also legalize hemp? It doesn't seem so. If not, then they are placating the public; while still propping up other industries where hemp could compete.

They have sponsored a hemp bill separately, as well...

JeNNiF00F00
10-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I think they were being sarcastic.. but the rest of you're post was correct, a lot of professionals smoke herb.. and the most responsible ones are the ones who usually have to hide it because they have a lot of responsibilities like kids or a job where they wouldn't want people to find out due to the stigma.

Believe me I know. ;)