PDA

View Full Version : Should college athletes be paid like professionals?

Met Income
08-21-2009, 04:03 PM
What say you?

dannno
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Why not?

dannno
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
On second thought, it should be up to the league.

If one league dis-allows it, and another league wants to allow it, and a bunch of colleges join the new league, then go for it.

SimpleName
08-21-2009, 05:58 PM
I don't know how the NCAA works, but this sounds not good at all. Personally, I already hate how athletics takes so much money out of general academics. Anyway, NO! It'll probably clog up colleges with sports players just looking to make money. Again, I don't know the NCAA's workings, but I can't see any way that paying athletes won't lead to a large increase in tuition costs. How did you see it working?

Soca Taliban
08-27-2009, 02:08 PM
It should be up to the NCAA, but I believe they should. What rational argument is there for denying it?

TonySutton
08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
professional athletes are currently over paid. if the current tax laws were erased, the money would disappear, guaranteed!

SovereignMN
08-29-2009, 09:58 PM
They get full ride scholarships and access to some of the best training centers in the country. I think that's compensation enough.

I agree with danno though...if some colleges want to start their own association that pays athletes then go for it.

TCE
08-29-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't know how the NCAA works, but this sounds not good at all. Personally, I already hate how athletics takes so much money out of general academics. Anyway, NO! It'll probably clog up colleges with sports players just looking to make money. Again, I don't know the NCAA's workings, but I can't see any way that paying athletes won't lead to a large increase in tuition costs. How did you see it working?

Then the good students won't go to that school, making it a worse school, and whichever college it is will look bad academically. If what you said happens, the brightest students would flock to the colleges that promised the best focus on education.

Kludge
08-29-2009, 11:33 PM
"Paid like"? "Professionals"?

Bill Clinton certainly would not answer such ambiguous questions.

On a related note -- look what I found!

YouTube - We're Professionals, We're Serious (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8v1n7f54Ew)

heavenlyboy34
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Whoever is responsible for deciding (I assume the NCAA?) should decide. I personally don't care. Colleges are rapidly in decline anyways, as degrees are being devalued in the real world and learning material goes online for cheap/free. (special thanks to Mises Institute! :) )

pacelli
09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey, with the amount of free pass grades they get for sleeping through class (when they show up), failing to turn in assignments, and having people write their papers for them, why not coddle them a little more?

heavenlyboy34
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey, with the amount of free pass grades they get for sleeping through class (when they show up), failing to turn in assignments, and having people write their papers for them, why not coddle them a little more?

lolz!! :D;) (to be fair tho, some athletes who do track and field and other "classy" events are also good students-some even train for the Olympics)