PDA

View Full Version : Ted Kenendy and the death of Mary Jo.

max
08-21-2009, 09:58 AM
May Teddy rot in hell.

Some of you young pups may not be familiar with this story. A likely drunken Ted Kennedy killed a girl and then left the scene.

He didn't report the incident until the next day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jo_Kopechne

Zippyjuan
08-21-2009, 04:11 PM
It is a very old story. Yeah- he was young, drunk, stupid, and probably scared. Maybe raising the issue forty years later can force him from office? Too late- he is barely in the Senate these days because he is dying from brain cancer.

2young2vote
08-21-2009, 04:46 PM
My dad told me about this. He said that it basically showed the power of the Kennedy's and showed how corrupt they are. He said if it had happened to any normal person we would be in prison very quickly (and i believe it).

max
08-21-2009, 05:14 PM
It is a very old story. Yeah- he was young, drunk, stupid, and probably scared. Maybe raising the issue forty years later can force him from office? Too late- he is barely in the Senate these days because he is dying from brain cancer.

Old for you...but many of the teenagers in here may not even have heard about it...

I posted it for them as a history lesson that they might appreciate......not for you....so stick ur sarcasm where the sun dont shine

Zippyjuan
08-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. Perhaps you can give a demonstration so that I can see if I am doing it right. What do you consider the relevance to it today, just curious.

On July 18, 1969, Kopechne attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island, off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, held in honor of the Boiler Room Girls. It was the fourth such reunion of the Robert Kennedy campaign workers.[10]

Kopechne left the party at 11:15 p.m. with Robert's brother Ted Kennedy, after he — according to his own account — offered to drive her to catch the last ferry back to Edgartown, where she was staying. Kennedy stated he made a wrong turn on the way and came upon a narrow, unlit bridge without guardrails. Kennedy drove the 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 off the bridge and it overturned in the water. Kennedy extricated himself from the submerged car but Kopechne died, after what Kennedy said were several diving attempts to free her.[5]

Kennedy contacted several aides that night, but failed to report the incident to the authorities until the car and Kopechne's body were discovered the next morning.[5] Kopechne's parents said that they learned of their daughter's death from Ted Kennedy himself[1] before he reported his involvement to the authorities, but that they learned Kennedy had been the driver only from wire press releases some time later.[3]

A funeral for Kopechne was held on July 22, 1969, at St. Vincent's Roman Catholic Church in Plymouth, Pennsylvania, attended by Kennedy.[11] She is buried in the parish cemetery on the side of Larksville Mountain.

A week after the incident, Kennedy pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury. He received a two month suspended sentence.[5] On a national television broadcast that night, Kennedy later said he was not driving under the influence of alcohol nor had he engaged in any immoral conduct with Kopechne.[5]

satchelmcqueen
08-21-2009, 05:46 PM
didnt know this. thanks for posting.

Eric Arthur Blair
08-21-2009, 05:50 PM
whatever happened even if he was innocent it should have ended his carer in politics, no man with any honour would have done what he did that night.

FreeTraveler
08-21-2009, 06:01 PM
He was no more innocent than OJ. His daddy's name got him out of trouble like it always did his daddy.

The Kennedy clan are the main reason I wish I believed in heaven and hell. It would be nice to see them get their just desserts.

amonasro
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
I also didn't know this, being a product of the late great 80s. Politics as usual, right?