PDA

View Full Version : Margaret Thatcher VS Ron Paul

AshleyLawsonEire
08-21-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm interested in their differences and similarities.
I wasn't old enough to remember Thatcher but the little research I've done, she appears a very pro free-market anti-socalist.
I've posted the question on a few boards but haven't really gotten a great reponce.

Pauls' Revere
08-21-2009, 07:35 AM
I always loved this quote - "consensus is the absence of leadership" - Margaret Thatcher

Thus, Obama is the empty suit epitomy.

max
08-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Thatcher was a mixed bag...Britains Ronald Reagan.

She was chesed out of leadership for oppossing integration in European Union.

What turned me off was her embrace of the Global warming bullshit.

She's no Daniel Hanaan...but much beeter than any of today's "conservative party" leaders in UK

acptulsa
08-21-2009, 08:24 AM
All the difference between a proto-neocon and a paleo-conservative. It isn't easy to compare a prime minister to a represenative from Texas, a Constitutionalist to someone who has but little written constitution to support. But I do remember Thatcher, like her close ally Reagan, talking a better game than they played. Not so Ron Paul.

She was also much more of a warmonger. I'm not saying she was wrong about the Faulklands; to be honest I don't know enough to say. I just remember her side by side with Reagan, rattling their sabres.

Zippyjuan
08-21-2009, 04:21 PM
She was certainly not an isolationist- going to war with Argentina over the Faulkland Islands- which are off the coast of Argentina and home to mostly sheep. She was known as the "Iron Lady" for her toughness and was a big fan and supporter of Reagan- especially on foreign policy matters and like Reagan spent a lot of money on the miltary and nuclear weapons. Her legacy was high unemployment and greater poverty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thatcherism

Critics of Thatcherism claim that its successes were obtained only at the expense of great social costs to the British population. Industrial production fell sharply during Thatcher's government, which critics believe increased unemployment — which tripled during her premiership. When she resigned in 1990, 28% of the children in Great Britain were considered to be below the poverty line, a number that kept rising to reach a peak of 30% in 1994 during the Conservative government of John Major, who succeeded Thatcher.[14]

While credited with reviving Britain's economy, Mrs. Thatcher also was blamed for spurring a doubling in the poverty rate. Britain's childhood-poverty rate in 1997 was the highest in Europe.[14]

On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of Thatcher's inauguration, BBC conducted a survey of opinions which opened with the following comments:

To her supporters, she was a revolutionary figure who transformed Britain's stagnant economy, tamed the unions and re-established the country as a world power.

Together with US presidents Reagan and Bush, she helped bring about the end of the Cold War.

But her 11-year premiership was also marked by social unrest, industrial strife and high unemployment.

Her critics claim British society is still feeling the effect of her divisive economic policies and the culture of greed and selfishness they allegedly promoted.[18]

Kotin
08-21-2009, 04:22 PM
hehehe such a comical thread title..

Epic
08-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah she was basically like Reagan. And, just like Reagan, she admired Hayek.

Zippyjuan
08-21-2009, 04:27 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=206635

Thatcher was unusual among British Conservative Prime Ministers in that she was a highly ideological leader — she once slammed a copy of Friedrich Hayek's The Constitution of Liberty down on a table during a Shadow Cabinet meeting, saying, "This is what we believe

Long_Lamkin
08-21-2009, 04:28 PM
The Constitution of Liberty has notably been held up at a British Conservative Party policy meeting and banged on the table by Margaret Thatcher, who reportedly interrupted a presentation to indicate, in reference to the book, that "This is what we believe".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Constitution_of_Liberty