PDA

View Full Version : Good books on Austrian economics?

Justin D
08-20-2009, 04:46 PM
What books would you guys recommend for explaining/justifying Austrian economics, sound money, property rights. Things of that nature. Is there any good book that explains the basics? Anything from Rothbard? I've seen descriptions of books of his on Mises.org, but what one would be good to start with? Input would be appreciated.

RCA
08-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Welcome to the forums!

See my signature for all the books you can handle.

tggroo7
08-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I have Rothbard's "The Great Depression" and plan to read it when I finish Atlas Shrugged...is it a pretty educational read?

brandon
08-20-2009, 04:53 PM
The most authoritative book on Austrian Economics is Human Action (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Action) by Mises. It's not an easy read though.

A great book for an introduction is Economics in One Lesson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_in_One_Lesson) which you can read for free on mises.org.

A great book to learn about the Fed and Austrian Business Cycle theory is What has Government Done to Our Money (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Has_Government_Done_to_Our_Money%3F) by Rothbard.

And lots more

LibertyEagle
08-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Economics in One Lesson by Hazlitt

The Law by Bastiat

Economics for Real People by Callahan

muzzled dogg
08-20-2009, 05:02 PM
for a new liberty: the libertarian manifesto

but it;s not only about econ

mport1
08-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Anything by Murray Rothbard. For A New Liberty is my favorite.

Justin D
08-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Four books I chose to read first are:

-What Has Government Done To Our Money
-For a New Liberty: The Libertarian Manifesto
-The Creature from Jekyll Island
-Economics In One Lesson

Thanks for all the quick responses everyone!

muzzled dogg
08-20-2009, 06:15 PM
for a new liberty free audio book

http://mises.org/media.aspx?action=category&ID=87

shenlu54
08-20-2009, 06:28 PM
"The Case Against the Fed" by Murray Rothbard,this book tells you what money and central bank is.

NerveShocker
08-20-2009, 06:36 PM
As was said before The creature from Jekyll island is excellent. That book is not only informative but is interesting as well because it informs while telling a story. It was written by one of my heroes G. Edward Griffen.

Objectivist
08-20-2009, 06:39 PM
From the "Book they don't want you to read" list.
Ludwig von Mises "Planned Chaos".
Everyone else covered much of what you need already.

mport1
08-20-2009, 06:40 PM

-Economics In One Lesson

Good choices. I still haven't read The Creature from Jekyll Island. I'd like to find a pdf or mp3 of it online. Anybody know where I could find it?

RonPaulGetsIt
08-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Meltdown by Tom Woods is great plus it current with events up till 2008

Justin D
08-20-2009, 06:56 PM
I'll definitely reference this thread in the future. Just had an idea! I'll use a crisp Federal Reserve Note as a book-mark.

wizardwatson
08-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Ethics of Liberty if you want to know logical basis of property rights.

Economic concepts I'd stick with simple recommendations above. But don't get too graspy with the economic stuff. Economics is like martial arts. To get a decent view of the art, you have to discover what works, and learn to think through problems.

Conza88
08-20-2009, 08:01 PM
The most authoritative book on Austrian Economics is Human Action (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Action) by Mises. It's not an easy read though.

Yeah, it's the one you really can't say your an actual Austrian Economist until you have read it. Far easier and minus the errors (monopoly theory) is Rothbard's, Man, Economy and State.

Human Action starts off with philosophy, for the first few hundred pages.

Man, Economy and State with Power and Market is meant to be like a text book for Human Action, but then it became it's own treatise.

I have been instructed to go with MES first, then HA.

What books would you guys recommend for explaining/justifying Austrian economics

Man, Economy and State with Power and Market. It's massive though, cus it's a treatise. So see: Economics for Real People, Economics in One Lesson (although it's not really about Austrian Economics) per se.

sound money

What has Government Done to Our Money? by Rothbard

property rights

Depends what angle you want to come from. A moral standpoint - Ethics of Liberty. Economical? MES and Power and Market.

Also For A New Liberty...

-Economics In One Lesson

Great stuff. Create from Jekyll Island isn't about Austrian Economics.. but it will give you a NWO perspective, so good value. Chpter 24 is :eek: