PDA

View Full Version : Is it spelled "healthcare" or "health care"?

Knightskye
08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Hah. I've been spelling it both ways for a while, but I'm not sure which is correct.

Anyone know?

acptulsa
08-20-2009, 01:39 PM
As two words is traditional, but I suspect all the major dictionaries recognize the compound word these days.

WRellim
08-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Personally, I always call it "health Scare" as the entire phrase essentially "cooks the books" of the discussion. (And I'm old enough to remember when in describing the "benefit" on hiring people, companies used to call it "hospitalization insurance").

1000-points-of-fright
08-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I think "healthcare" is acceptable, although Firefox spell check flags it. So I would go with "health care" to be on the safe side.

"Spelt", however, is totally unacceptable and you should be ashamed of yourself and your English teacher.

Knightskye
08-21-2009, 08:57 PM
"Spelt", however, is totally unacceptable and you should be ashamed of yourself and your English teacher.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

That's my English teacher.

amy31416
08-21-2009, 08:59 PM
http://www.captaindaves.com/shop/media/Wheat-Spelt-Berries.jpg

Knightskye
08-22-2009, 01:47 AM
http://www.captaindaves.com/shop/media/Wheat-Spelt-Berries.jpg

... peanuts?

revolutionary8
08-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Spelt?

revolutionary8
08-22-2009, 02:23 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

That's my English teacher.

You've been had.
;)

Knightskye
08-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Spelt?

I think that's how the British spell it. It sounds better than "spelled" to me.

revolutionary8
08-22-2009, 02:25 AM

ewwwwwhhhhhh...
:D

revolutionary8
08-22-2009, 02:28 AM

and thank gawd we don't spell like the French, they can't spell for shit... thus your spelling of "spelt".
Too shayy.
Oh, and one last "aside"...
WE ARE NOT BRITISH CITIZENS, nor do we have any allegiance to the BRITS.
iow...
fuck their GOVERNMENT.
*i have nothing but repsect for the ordinary peoples or british citizens, but their GOVERNMENT is merely a TEST TUBE for THE SLEEPING GIANT.
That is a fact jack.
will YOU be a part of "The Experiment"??????????
I sure as HELL WON'T.

Epic
08-22-2009, 02:43 AM
related question:

is it obamacare? or obama care?

Kludge
08-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Lol... Someone said "smelt" instead of "smelled" the other day... I just about had a fit.

Knightskye
08-22-2009, 02:53 AM
ewwwwwhhhhhh...

Daniel Hannan spells it like that!

http://books.google.com/books?id=LJ5aYhMYRCsC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=Daniel+Hannan+spelt&source=bl&ots=N_EzDT0fcn&sig=1fmNHP6bxVFGhLjy5keT6tg03Ts&hl=en&ei=TbWPSqefLIrslAfIm4ygDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#v=onepage&q=&f=false

(Second to last paragraph)

revolutionary8
08-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Daniel Hannan spells it like that!

http://books.google.com/books?id=LJ5aYhMYRCsC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=Daniel+Hannan+spelt&source=bl&ots=N_EzDT0fcn&sig=1fmNHP6bxVFGhLjy5keT6tg03Ts&hl=en&ei=TbWPSqefLIrslAfIm4ygDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#v=onepage&q=&f=false

(Second to last paragraph)

Thanks for posting...
I always enjoy DH.
He is the real deal.
:)

amy31416
08-22-2009, 08:04 AM
... peanuts?

Spelt. :D

Kludge
08-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Spelt. :D

http://www.libertymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/paulownsmccain.gif

"The origin of spelt has been traced all the way back to the first cultivation’s of grain, around 500 BC. Today it has found its niche in the human food industry as a substitute for wheat or other gluten containing grains. Many who have allergic reactions to regular grains are able to consume spelt and still enjoy a diet with grain protein and soluble fiber. This grainis an excellent high-gluten substitute for those allergic to wheat, it can be substituted for wheat in pretty near every recipe. Simply use a bit less liquid or more flour when substituting spelt in recipes calling for wheat. Chemical Free. GMO Free."

http://www.wheatmontana.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=29_34&products_id=108

Working Poor
08-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a hexaploid species of wheat.

source: wikipedia

Ninja Homer
08-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I spell it "disease management".

MelissaWV
08-22-2009, 01:19 PM
http://www.libertymaven.com/wp-content/uploads/paulownsmccain.gif

"The origin of spelt has been traced all the way back to the first cultivation’s of grain, around 500 BC. Today it has found its niche in the human food industry as a substitute for wheat or other gluten containing grains. Many who have allergic reactions to regular grains are able to consume spelt and still enjoy a diet with grain protein and soluble fiber. This grainis an excellent high-gluten substitute for those allergic to wheat, it can be substituted for wheat in pretty near every recipe. Simply use a bit less liquid or more flour when substituting spelt in recipes calling for wheat. Chemical Free. GMO Free."

http://www.wheatmontana.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=29_34&products_id=108

There are a lot of errors in that post, too...

cultivation
gluten-containing
grain is

There are likely others, but those are the ones I noticed first. :rolleyes:

Knightskye
08-22-2009, 06:07 PM
And if someone shouts, "Duck," you would go looking for some bread crumbs?

Working Poor
08-22-2009, 06:41 PM
There are a lot of errors in that post, too...

I have noticed a real unforgivable attitude around here on grammatical error. I am sure there are people who would post more if ya'll were so tough on that.

Being dyslexic myself I have to really strain to live up to ya'll standards.

I think people in general just have to find something f*ked up about someone else to make them feel more superior.

Every person has value is an individual. People compete for the most basic reason survival. I wish we could have some rules as a people to live by. Will we ever be able to reach the stars if we can't even get along among ourselves?

Is it really necessary for us to learn to get a long? I guess it is a lot more fun and stuff to just keep fighting.

I like to look at the beauty of every human and I want to greet the Divine in them. I guess there are a lot of folks that do not feel connected to the divine. Any human being I see I see their best it is a truly wonderful feeling. Life is wonderful your life, my life is such a miracle. I am a life fanatic!!

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Love your enemy.

MelissaWV
08-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I have noticed a real unforgivable attitude around here on grammatical error. I am sure there are people who would post more if ya'll were so tough on that.

Being dyslexic myself I have to really strain to live up to ya'll standards.

I think people in general just have to find something f*ked up about someone else to make them feel more superior.

Every person has value is an individual. People compete for the most basic reason survival. I wish we could have some rules as a people to live by. Will we ever be able to reach the stars if we can't even get along among ourselves?

Is it really necessary for us to learn to get a long? I guess it is a lot more fun and stuff to just keep fighting.

I like to look at the beauty of every human and I want to greet the Divine in them. I guess there are a lot of folks that do not feel connected to the divine. Any human being I see I see their best it is a truly wonderful feeling. Life is wonderful your life, my life is such a miracle. I am a life fanatic!!

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Love your enemy.

W... T... F...?

I was commenting on a quoted website, not on some poster in here. LE quoted that from elsewhere. I don't generally even point out the errors in a post unless they're made in the pursuit of belittling someone else. It's always comical to me when someone says "ur a idiot" or something along those lines, and it's a flaw that I feel a need to point it out.

However, since this ENTIRE THREAD was about questions of spelling, I found the fact that the CITED ARTICLE contained errors a bit on topic, and pointed it out.

Panties: unwad them.

Knightskye
08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
I have noticed a real unforgivable attitude around here on grammatical error.

I haven't seen that.

Kludge
08-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I haven't seen that.

Please do not use contractions on this forum. We are not lazy rednecks.

amy31416
08-28-2009, 12:09 PM

Speak for you'reself.

MelissaWV
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Poor
I have noticed a real unforgivable attitude around here on grammatical error.

I haven't seen that.

If you had seen it, Knightskye, it would have likely been in the guise of someone swooping in and correcting the above, replacing it with:

I have noticed a very unforgiving attitude around here towards grammatical errors.

- - -

The trouble is that sometimes errors do disrupt communication, and can change one's intended meaning. Language is alive, but there are certain words that don't change just because one uses that excuse.

I stand by my earlier post. The OP was asking for assistance on a matter of spelling, so people responded to that. I don't see it as condescending to answer the post, or to point out the silliness of a citation with numerous spelling errors by what was likely a semi-professional source :)

Just for fun, I do enjoy using http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/a.html as a guide.

acptulsa
08-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Yes sir, Lt. Commander Data.

dannno
08-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Amazing..

spell
1  /spɛl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spel] Show IPA verb, spelled or spelt, spell⋅ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to name, write, or otherwise give the letters, in order, of (a word, syllable, etc.): Did I spell your name right?

brandon
08-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Is it spelled who cares or whocares?

Knightskye
08-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Please don't use contractions on this forum. We aren't lazy rednecks.

Would've been funnier. :D

Amazing..

Absolutely.

Kludge
08-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Absolutely.

That word is as displeasing as it is cliché. I suggest you instead use "certainly" or a similar word.

acptulsa
08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
That word is as displeasing as it is cliché.

Indubitably (Oh God I hope I spelt that right).

RonPaulVolunteer
08-28-2009, 10:55 PM
It's spelt "sickcare", because it has NOTHING to do with health.

itshappening
08-29-2009, 06:50 AM
'healthcare' doesn't exist as a word but by the ingenuity of the English language, everybody knows what it means and I think now we can safely say it exists simply because people are using it.

speciallyblend
08-29-2009, 07:26 AM
it is spelled just health, no need to include care in the word,sentence,paragraph or paper!!! they should outlaw the word care! since it doesn't exist in the world of insurance or health!!!

Knightskye
09-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Who changed the title?

amy31416
09-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Who changed the title?

I have no idea, but they sure ruined this thread's folksy charm and your (intentional, I'm sure) irony. :D

MelissaWV
09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
-.- Well now half of the posts don't even make sense.

Knightskye
09-12-2009, 04:01 PM
I have no idea, but they sure ruined this thread's folksy charm and your (intentional, I'm sure) irony. :D

No, I really do use "spelt". ;)

-.- Well now half of the posts don't even make sense.

Overzealous mod, I'm sure. Or just a jerk.

Matt Collins
09-12-2009, 04:06 PM
A NJROTC instructor taught me this years ago while in high school -

WHEN IN DOUBT, HYPHENATE!

RonPaulVolunteer
09-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Someone corrected your spelling in thread title? Inless that woz reckwested, that's just plane against tha standids we all uphold hair.

amy31416
09-12-2009, 05:34 PM

Oh. Okay. Well that's not the correct way to spell "spelled," if you aren't aware by now. :D

You seemed quite concerned with how to spell health care, that I sort of figured you'd want to know how to spell that as well. ;)

constituent
09-12-2009, 06:31 PM

Me too, almost exclusively. Highly nutritious and tastes like honey!

Knightskye
09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Oh. Okay. Well that's not the correct way to spell "spelled,"

According to whom? :D

Natalie
09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I spell it "healthcare"

rpfan2008
09-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Wrogn !!!