PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION from RP supporter: Does one of RP's views prohibit future candidates from...

TechnoGuyRob
09-27-2007, 10:59 PM
...virally gaining support from media such as the internet, like he is right now?

I was looking at the Wikipedia page about his political positions and this really caught my eye.

Campaign contributions

In 2002, he spoke before the Congress in opposition to campaign finance reforms that place any restrictions on citizens and businesses making campaign contributions to the candidate of their choice. He based his argument on the First Amendment, Separation of Powers, and Constitutional Authority, and the belief that such efforts are also counterproductive in reducing entrenched powers.

Notice, though, how most of the Romney/Clinton (and maybe Obama) donators contribute $2,300. If they can give that much, it suggests they could give more; maybe much more. However, it's also this $2,300 limit that prevents these rich donors from completely overshadowing people like us that work hard to donate dollar by dollar. One $100,000 donation (which surely some of the pro-Clinton rich lawyer folk can muster) would be almost 20% of what we've gotten Ron so far in this quarter's end drive.

What do you think?

EDIT: the belief that such efforts are also counterproductive in reducing entrenched powers. - My common sense (and things like this drive) seem to suggest otherwise...am I wrong?

njandrewg
09-27-2007, 11:03 PM
the only difference is instead of the head of company making a $23,000 donation...you now have 10 employees each making a $2,300 donation.

jonahtrainer
09-27-2007, 11:04 PM
I was looking at the Wikipedia page about his political positions and this really caught my eye.

Notice, though, how most of the Romney/Clinton (and maybe Obama) donators contribute $2,300. If they can give that much, it suggests they could give more; maybe much more. However, it's also this $2,300 limit that prevents these rich donors from completely overshadowing people like us that work hard to donate dollar by dollar. One $100,000 donation (which surely some of the pro-Clinton rich lawyer folk can muster) would be almost 20% of what we've gotten Ron so far in this quarter's end drive.

What do you think?

EDIT: the belief that such efforts are also counterproductive in reducing entrenched powers. - My common sense (and things like this drive) seem to suggest otherwise...am I wrong?

I don't think it would make much difference.

The important metric is vote return on investment (time & money). Ron Paul is showing a high return.

Politics is really about what we deeply care about. Money can't, or shouldn't, buy that. If people really value their Freedom then they will give of their time, lives, money and honor in defending and upholding it. If they do not value their Freedom then they will sadly let it slip away.

Chester Copperpot
09-27-2007, 11:08 PM
It probably would hurt him.. But this is about freedom.. If its your money and you wanna give it away to someone, even a politician why not? Thats your right.

ctb619
09-27-2007, 11:10 PM
You really need to look at McCain-Feingold in-depth to understand what a deplorable piece of legislation it is -- I applaud Ron Paul for opposing it.

max
09-27-2007, 11:11 PM
after a point, the return on all that money isnt as great...

what the 2300 cap does is to make it harder for an ousider to raise 40 million + that u need just to play the game properly..

5 million vs 50 million will get you creamed

but 50 million vs 150 million isnt nearly as much of a disadvantage....because with the 50, u can get your message out pretty good...

the big boys also get BILLIONS of positive publicity......imagine the dollar value of all those front page photos on Time Mag or GQ (Obama)

runderwo
09-27-2007, 11:18 PM
I wish people would pay less attention to the raw fundraising numbers and more attention to how the money is spent, as a reflection of one's fitness for holding office.

TechnoGuyRob
09-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Hm. I understand the 5 mill v.s. 50 mill. However, I doubt RP would generate 50 mill with unlimited sponsorship. Imagine a candidate that's against big corporations and rich people? Did you know half of America's wealth is 5% of people? I think I like this $2,300 cap.

Think about it.

P.S. I'm huge on Ron Paul. I see how his principles back it up. I agree with it in theory. However, in practice, I don't think it is as effective.