PDA

View Full Version : This Is How Ron Paul Needs To Debate

max
09-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Ron Paul's finest hour was his first MSNBC debate...calm, focused, direct.....He has gotten away from this style.....He needs to review the tapes of first debate and go back to those soundbytes and that body language...

look how awesome he was in this video...but he's never been as good since

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8

chiefsmurph
09-27-2007, 10:39 PM
I think by saying the same things over and over again over the past 6 months - year, he has stopped thinking as much and started relying on the verbal repition.

max
09-27-2007, 10:47 PM
I think by saying the same things over and over again over the past 6 months - year, he has stopped thinking as much and started relying on the verbal repition.

unfortunately, for many people, the body language and delivery are even more important than the ideas...

sad...but true...

lately, it seems like he's trying to cram too much into a short amount of time and coming off as unrelaxed

wgadget
09-27-2007, 10:50 PM
I think he did great, but personally, I'd like to see him smile a little up there.

Paulitician
09-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Ron Paul needs to relax. He get's way too nervous.

AlexAmore
09-27-2007, 10:52 PM
They had loaded questions and extremely short amounts of time to answer them. Ron Paul is not a soundbite politician and so he has cram "too much" so he can explain his often controversial positions.

Salamando
09-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Hes forcing too many things, he needs to come in relaxed, he needs to do what he did in the earlier debates. That Ron Paul will attract new voters, not the current one.

The Good Doctor
09-27-2007, 10:55 PM
To me he looked a tad tired. The man has been out there for the last few weeks. I think he is taking the first week of Q4 off. He probably needs some rest.

Hes forcing too many things, he needs to come in relaxed, he needs to do what he did in the earlier debates. That Ron Paul will attract new voters, not the current one.

max
09-27-2007, 10:56 PM

I cant believe he doesnt have image consultants...he was so awesome in the first debate at MSNBC...

i know we all love RP and some of us refuse to accept certain realties.....but his body language and rapid speech patterns will hurt him in the eyes of people who dont know him..

risiusj

That's true. He was a lot more relaxed in the early debates and it was because he had the mentality that he would state his beliefs and that was it.
Now he knows he has a huge following and there is a lot more pressure on him.
I don't blame him for being more nervous, but it is something he needs to work on.

LibertyEagle
Ron Paul's finest hour was his first MSNBC debate...calm, focused, direct.....He has gotten away from this style.....He needs to review the tapes of first debate and go back to those soundbytes and that body language...

Yeah, I have to agree with you Max. I don't know what we can do about it though.

Abobo
I like it when RP is more agitated and sounds kinda pissed off. Why? Because I'm just as pissed off as he is. I like his passion in his more recent debates.

ronpaulyourmom
09-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Start up a petition for this and I'll sign it. If we get a few thousand signatures I'm sure HQ will take notice.

Chester Copperpot
09-27-2007, 10:59 PM
The Meetups should get together and do extra campaigning so Ron Paul can take the week off... Remember the Christmas cartoon where the children of the world gave Santa the year off???? (I think it was called the Year without a Santa Claus)

Whaddya think?

Chester Copperpot
09-27-2007, 10:59 PM
I like it when RP is more agitated and sounds kinda pissed off. Why? Because I'm just as pissed off as he is. I like his passion in his more recent debates.

The passion is definitely needed.. I think the first debate MSNBC.. was a little polite and the guys were getting warmed up... as the timer runs down people are getting more pushed and stressed.. there can be only one.

max
09-27-2007, 11:00 PM
That's true. He was a lot more relaxed in the early debates and it was because he had the mentality that he would state his beliefs and that was it.
I don't blame him for being more nervous, but it is something he needs to work on.

I think you just nailed it! In the first debate he was just a guy with $10,000 and an apartment Headquarters...just making a symbolic statement...

Now it's like "Holy Shit! I'm HUGE"!!!!

That might be the problem

foofighter20x
09-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Ron Paul needs to relax. He get's way too nervous.

I would be nervous too. The guys an intellectual and thinks things out... And that's made him realize that--since he's gotten support beyond his wildest dreams--the lot of us are pinning out hopes on him. That's a pretty heavy burden to bear. He's probably nervous because he's worried about hte what if of his failing us.

It won't happen, but can you see how it might be a bit of a distraction to him?

foofighter20x
09-27-2007, 11:11 PM

I think you just nailed it! In the first debate he was just a guy with $10,000 and an apartment Headquarters...just making a symbolic statement...

Now it's like "Holy Shit! I'm HUGE"!!!!

That might be the problem

Damn.. beat me to it... Great minds, huh? :)

max
09-27-2007, 11:12 PM
I would be nervous too. The guys an intellectual and thinks things out... And that's made him realize that--since he's gotten support beyond his wildest dreams--the lot of us are pinning out hopes on him. That's a pretty heavy burden to bear. He's probably nervous because he's worried about hte what if of his failing us.

It won't happen, but can you see how it might be a bit of a distraction to him?

perhaps a few hits of "medical marijuana" might benefit the doctor in advance of next debate

Abobo
09-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Why do you all think he's nervous or worried? I think he sounds like he wants to kick some neo-con ass!

Paul4Prez
09-27-2007, 11:54 PM

I think his best debates were the first one (at the Reagan Library) and the fifth one, where he went head-to-head with Huckabee. In the first, he was calm, cool, and collected. In the fifth, he was tough and Presidential. I think both sides are great, and serve him well.

He was a little more rushed than usual tonight, but he had some great individual answers. His answer to the Drug War question was the best I've seen him give in any public forum. I liked his death penalty answer, too.

Here are my grades:

1 (CA): A+
2 (SC): A
3 (NH): A
4 (IA): A+
5 (NH): A+
6 (FL): A
7: A-

Ninja Homer
09-28-2007, 12:09 AM
The problem is that his answers are intelligent, and he actually has the honesty to give the reasons for his answers, as well as his plan on how to fix whatever problem is in question. It takes more than a 30 second sound bite to answer it in that way, and he rushes to fit it all into the time allowed. We Paul fans understand what he's saying because we already know his positions, but for people that are new to Ron Paul, he may be talking a little to fast for them to comprehend.

To see the flipside of that, look at Brownback. His answers to half of all debate questions is that "we need to improve family values" and that's about all he says. He gives no explanation on how he would do that as president. It pisses me off every time he says it, because I can not understand, comprehend, or even imagine how in the hell he would use the US government to enforce the improvement of family values.

For some questions with limited time frames, I think Ron just needs to say that it takes more than 30 seconds to explain such a complex problem, see ronpaul2008.com for details.

synthetic
09-28-2007, 12:31 AM

Ron shouldn't feel pressure to keep the base fired up. Someone let him know its not going anywhere. If he is mixing too much rally speech with debate remarks it should be brought to his attention. Educating people during these debates is so important.

SlapItHigh
09-28-2007, 12:44 AM
I think the problem is these debate formats in general. I agree with you that he spoke the best in that first debate. But, he isn't going to get the average citizen to vote for him without explaining things in more detail. He is now trying to get too much in during each tiny window he has to speak. It is almost a loose loose situation. If his ideas were meaningless like most of the other candidates he could give nice little smooth sound bites.

I personally don't give a damn how well spoken our next president is but I know that the average citizen wants someone who sounds nice and glossy. The issues are more important to me. How do we meld the two? Is there ANYONE out there in the entire country who speaks well while still relaying mass amounts of information in an extremely short period of time? Or will any "trainer" just teach ron how to give nice glossy sound bites?