PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul could legally run for Senate and House at the same time

Imperial
08-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Because it is a special election. Apparently the normal restrictions do NOT apply, if this article is to be believed.

All current Republican House members from Texas would have a free ride in a special election. They would not have to give up their seats to run, and a number of them might jump in the race.

That’s exactly what happened in 1961, when a lightly-regarded Republican named John Tower faced archconservative Democrat William Blakley in a special election runoff for Lyndon Johnson’s Senate seat after Johnson became vice president. Tower won in a huge upset, becoming the first Republican to win a statewide race in Texas in the 20th century. There were 71 candidates on the ballot in that special election, almost all of them Democrats who split the vote badly, permitting Blakley to narrowly win a runoff spot with 18.1 percent of the vote. The more moderate Rep. Jim Wright finished third. Had Wright finished second, he probably would have defeated Tower in the runoff — and never served as speaker of the House a quarter-century later.

The article also mentions Ron Paul

If White, who has wide support from the Democratic establishment in the state and who has already raised a significant amount of money, were the only Democrat on the ballot, he would be assured of a place in any runoff against whichever Republican survives. Should the Republican turn out to be a weak or extreme nominee, White would have a legitimate chance of winning a runoff. Think Congressman Ron Paul, the Libertarian/Republican, who could finish second in a big field if he ran.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/25707_Page2.html#ixzz0OgyMxTS6

Richard Winger of Ballot Access News didn't think that it would be legal. Now I am not so sure...

MikeStanart
08-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah, but Paul is making great headway in the House with H.R. 1207. There's a chance the whole thing could collapse if he moves to the senate.

Kotin
08-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, but Paul is making great headway in the House with H.R. 1207. There's a chance the whole thing could collapse if he moves to the senate.

yeah?? like what exactly?

Imperial
08-19-2009, 11:36 PM
I'd say we need another vote in the Senate for S 604.

TCE
08-19-2009, 11:48 PM

The Senate is 1/100, the House is 1/435. The media and all others see it this way and they delegate importance based on it. A Senator virtually always has a bigger voice than a House member. The exception to this rule seems to be the Speaker of the House vs. Majority Leader.

EDIT: And by the time of this election, all bills will have reset. He can submit S. 604 with Bernie Sanders. The House doesn't truly need a bill, it will follow the Senate's lead if need be.

21st Century Republican
09-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Considering his possible run for 2012, it could be viewed as a popularity stunt if he ran and won the Senate seat, only to drop it and run for President.

thasre
09-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Considering his possible run for 2012, it could be viewed as a popularity stunt if he ran and won the Senate seat, only to drop it and run for President.

I kind of suspect he won't run in 2012. I'm one of these people operating under the assumption that Gary Johnson is going to run under the the Ron Paul mantle and Ron Paul will let him. I mean, does Ron even really need to be President will Schiff and Rand (and maybe himself!) in the Senate, and Kokesh in the House, while Debra Medina is governing his home state of Texas?

Okay, so maybe there's a little bit of wishful thinking there... but I really do kind of doubt that he'll run again.

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I kind of suspect he won't run in 2012. I'm one of these people operating under the assumption that Gary Johnson is going to run under the the Ron Paul mantle and Ron Paul will let him. I mean, does Ron even really need to be President will Schiff and Rand (and maybe himself!) in the Senate, and Kokesh in the House, while Debra Medina is governing his home state of Texas?

Okay, so maybe there's a little bit of wishful thinking there... but I really do kind of doubt that he'll run again.

We need a lot more than 5 people. 2012 Shouldn't all be about the Presidency. We need to fill the House and Senate with those who share our principles in Liberty.

Bradley in DC
09-22-2009, 02:44 AM

That doesn't make any sense. What do you mean?:confused:

thasre
09-23-2009, 10:12 AM
We need a lot more than 5 people. 2012 Shouldn't all be about the Presidency. We need to fill the House and Senate with those who share our principles in Liberty.

All I was getting at is that Ron Paul doesn't really need to run for President because he has a growing list of fellow politicians with ideological ties to his particular brand of Republicanism. So I doubt he will run. He understands that he doesn't need the public platform of a national campaign to hold some sway...