PDA

View Full Version : Paul stepped in the "isolationist" trap

synthetic
09-27-2007, 09:36 PM
He had a great debate. "Come home from every place in the world" was the flaw I noticed. Something this bold needs an explanation. We know the reasons and rationale but the uninitiated don't understand. Its too easy to fall for the catch phrases, "america is the most powerful nation on earth", "america will lead the world". With disregard to the costs, these slogans sound great. Ron needs to keep educating people that we occupy 130 countries. That our global empire pays a high price of blood and treasure while america is virtually ignored and unguarded.

max
09-27-2007, 09:46 PM
He had a great debate. "Come home from every place in the world" was the flaw I noticed. Something this bold needs an explanation. We know the reasons and rationale but the uninitiated don't understand. Its too easy to fall for the catch phrases, "america is the most powerful nation on earth", "america will lead the world". With disregard to the costs, these slogans sound great. Ron needs to keep educating people that we occupy 130 countries. That our global empire pays a high price of blood and treasure while america is virtually ignored and unguarded.

he really needs to work on his sound bites...he could have shown some more "sensitivity" on the darfur question

Ron Paul Fan
09-27-2007, 09:54 PM
I guess you guys have to decide what you want the goal of government to be. If the goal of government is to police the world, you lose liberty. But if the goal is to promote liberty, you can unify all segments. The freedom message brings us together, it doesn't divide us. We can achieve much more in peace than we can ever achieve in these needless, unconstitutional, undeclared wars! The individuals have the right to go over to Darfur and help and Dr. Paul said this. But the government should not do that because they take their marching orders from the Constitution. You don't go to war without a declaration.

SouthernGuy15
09-27-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm proud that Ron Paul wants to bring all our troops home from all around the world.

The Good Doctor
09-27-2007, 11:05 PM
C'mon 30 seconds? That isn't enough time to explain this question.

eleganz
09-27-2007, 11:10 PM
It's true 30 seconds isn't enough for any of the candidates to explain themselves but RP should've known this and I too believe he came on too strong even for myself (a firm supporter of RP campaign).

Though I think he did great in tonights debate I hope he doesn't let that slip again.

GO RP !!

LibertyEagle
09-27-2007, 11:12 PM
All Max is saying is that he needs to explain his positions so the dumbed down American populace will understand. And I agree with him.

LibertyEagle
09-27-2007, 11:13 PM
I know that a lot of people on here will bitch and moan, but he really should talk to a debate coach and maybe even an image consultant. It couldn't hurt to see what they recommend.

BenIsForRon
09-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Yeah, this would have hurt him if anyone had actually watched this, but no one did so its all good. He forgets that in debates like this you have to understand how what you are saying sounds to the crowd. If I didn't know Ron Paul already I would have totally thought he was an isolationist.

But like I said, it's all good, there were so many Ron Paul people in the crowd that anyone who actually attended the event is going to take notice and research him further.

BillyBeer
09-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Nothing wrong with what Ron said. You look at polls, the majority of people in this country are on his side. Just like the were on Buchanans side when it came to foreign policy. But the Media and Elites do not want to dismantle the Empire. They want to do what Giuliani said and "teach our troops how to nation build."

BillyBeer
09-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I know that a lot of people on here will bitch and moan, but he really should talk to a debate coach and maybe even an image consultant. It couldn't hurt to see what they recommend.

Hell, he can give Pat Buchanan a call.

Matt Collins
09-28-2007, 07:31 AM

I completely agree. The message is perferct, it just needs to be delivered a bit better so that mainstream American can digest it easier.

Proemio
09-28-2007, 08:08 AM
he really needs to work on his sound bites...he could have shown some more "sensitivity" on the darfur question

That, or point out the large oil deposits with China having the inside track and/or that the region falls goegraphically within the bounds of a certain pipe-dream.

Darfur, according to the BBC:
2002 - 200,000 dead, 2 million displaced.
2007 - 200,000 dead, 2 million displaced, with a short period a few months ago, when the 2 was replaced by a 3 for a short period.
Some genocide - TICŪ (the international community) is working on it...

erowe1
09-28-2007, 08:18 AM
When every other candidate is squeezing slippery slogans into 30 second sound bytes that express brad sentiments that nobody can disagree with, and Paul just uses those 30 seconds to say exactly what is position is as truthfully as possible, sure there may be a large number of airhead voters who will be drawn to the patriotic slogans of the others, but there will also be a lot who appreciate the politician who finally doesn't play that game, even when his position is unpopular. Honesty is one of the major advantages Paul has over the other candidates and he needs to continue a strategy of complete honesty and accept that some votes will be lost in the process.

Dave Wood
09-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Dr. Paul can always fall back to the analogy that it is inherently dangerous to get between two of the same species of animals that are fighting to the death. You may be able to seperate them briefly but if they survive they will eventually turn on YOU.

I think that is the way I read it, long time ago, someone correct me if I am wrong.

huchahucha
09-28-2007, 08:53 AM
I thought RP's answer about Darfur was fine, considering all of the other candidates basically said they would do nothing about Darfur. Showing support, but not sending troops is the same thing as doing nothing. Besides, this is more of a U.N. issue and as far as I can tell the U.N. does not give a damn about Darfur. If anyone gave a damn about the problem in Darfur it would already be fixed by now.

Drknows
09-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Overall he did a good job! At least the debate wasnt one of the big ones. Also on the darfur thing isnt it the U.N's job to send in peace keeping forces and aid? He should have mentioned the blue helmets! He did good though!

JMann
09-28-2007, 09:06 AM
It's true 30 seconds isn't enough for any of the candidates to explain themselves but RP should've known this and I too believe he came on too strong even for myself (a firm supporter of RP campaign).

Though I think he did great in tonights debate I hope he doesn't let that slip again.

GO RP !!

They had a minute to answer and that should be more than enough time to get your point across. At the end of the debate the limited responses to 30 seconds as to get a couple more question in.