PDA

View Full Version : Individuals can donate ???? - if you think you are maxed out...

davidhperry
09-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Admin Note: The DailyPaul posted a correction to this:

I was just contacted by a member of the Ron Paul campaign who told me that, while this the below information is technically correct, the campaign is not set up to accept donations for the general election yet. There are Federal laws that must be adhered to - e.g. separate bank accounts and accounting, etc. and the campaign just isn't set up for it. Yet. This is not to say that they won't be in the future. However, at this point - ANY MONEY DONATED OVER THE $2,300 INDIVIDUAL LIMIT WILL BE RETURNED! The Campaign has asked me to correct this information in this post. If there are any future updates to this policy, I will make sure that you know about them.

Michael Nystrom
Editor
www.dailypaul.com

- - - -

For those of you that have maxed out at 2300, you can donate another 2300 under the law because the primary and the general count as two separate elections. Also if he doesn't get the nomination the 2300 toward the general election is refunded, lets hope this doesnt happen!! So all of you who still want to donate but have maxed out, you still can. Lets raise a million!!!

Source: http://dailypaul.com/node/2472

------------------------------------

I read this on the dailypaul.com site:

$4600 is the maximum individual donation amount -- $2300 to the primary election fund and $2300 to the general election fund. Whatever you donate in excess of $2300 will be rolled over to the general election fund. If Dr. Paul doesn't win the party's nomination, whatever you donated to the general election fund will be refunded to you. Check out the forum thread for more details.

Ante up!

CasualApathy
09-27-2007, 05:45 PM
This is great news!!!! I guess noone is maxed out after all.

Arkris
09-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I'll go with that logic.

bump.

runderwo
09-27-2007, 06:26 PM
None of us is as clueless as all of us :-)

DjLoTi
09-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah, remember how they said 'McCain has blah blah, but part of it is for the general election'

So, if you donate another max donation, it'll boost his numbers, they'll just be a footnote saying 'blah blah is for the general'

McDermit
09-27-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm already maxed out. As are my *mom* and *brother*

But I think my ex might be able to throw in another 2300 yet. Guess I'll have to ask.

ItDoesNotStopWithRonPaul
09-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Yeah, remember how they said 'McCain has blah blah, but part of it is for the general election'

So, if you donate another max donation, it'll boost his numbers, they'll just be a footnote saying 'blah blah is for the general'

Great!! Unfortunately I am broke :( I'll put up another $25 tonight though.

LibertyEagle
09-27-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm already maxed out. As are my *mom* and *brother*

But I think my ex might be able to throw in another 2300 yet. Guess I'll have to ask.

Sounds like you come from a great family. :)

skiingff
09-27-2007, 06:38 PM
I don't believe Ron Paul is accepting funds for the general election.

On the FEC website he was refunding money to people that donated over $2300.

The Good Doctor
09-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Bump for great info! :D

SouthernGuy15
09-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Bump

SouthernGuy15
09-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Someone sticky this please!!!!!

Brent H
09-27-2007, 11:47 PM
How to legally donate $67K to Ron Paul as an individual

First thing to note is that Ron Paul is running TWO campaigns. One is for the Presidency, and the second is for Congress. Yes, that's right -- he's also running for relection as a congressman in Texas. You can legally provide $2,300 of face value in money to EACH campaign.

Now to the good part:

American Gold Eagles have a face value of $50, but have a current market value of about $735.

Buy 46 American Gold Eagles from http://www.nwtmintbullion.com/gold_americaneagle.php or a similar dealer, and ship them to Ron Paul's headquarters. The face value of the coins is $2,300. Now, if the campaign so chooses, they can sell the coins for their market value if it strikes their fancy. 46 x $735 = $33,810.

Donate 46 coins to his Presidential campaign.
Donate 46 coins to his Congressional campaign.

american.swan
09-28-2007, 12:08 AM
How to legally donate $67K to Ron Paul as an individual

First thing to note is that Ron Paul is running TWO campaigns. One is for the Presidency, and the second is for Congress. Yes, that's right -- he's also running for relection as a congressman in Texas. You can legally provide $2,300 of face value in money to EACH campaign.

Now to the good part:

American Gold Eagles have a face value of $50, but have a current market value of about $735.

Buy 46 American Gold Eagles from http://www.nwtmintbullion.com/gold_americaneagle.php or a similar dealer, and ship them to Ron Paul's headquarters. The face value of the coins is $2,300. Now, if the campaign so chooses, they can sell the coins for their market value if it strikes their fancy. 46 x $735 = $33,810.

With Ron returning general election money according to the FEC, this is great news. Now THIS POST should be stickied.

foofighter20x
09-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Someone sticky this please!!!!!

LOL!

I said this months ago, guys!

I also said that you can also donate the combined $4600 to the House re-election campaign if you are maxed on the Presidential one. Consider it insurance. ;)

No one listens to the mods.... :rolleyes: :p :D

Starks
09-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Wow... I never thought that the gold standard could be used to our advantage.

american.swan
09-28-2007, 01:22 AM
bump...read post 13 :) Sticky post 13.

smtwngrl
09-28-2007, 01:29 AM
[B]
Now to the good part:

Since gold is not presently legal tender, I don't think you can do that. If you donate something of value, what counts is the value of the coins.

foofighter20x
09-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Since gold is not presently legal tender, I don't think you can do that. If you donate something of value, what counts is the value of the coins.

No, he's right.

The coins are produced and released by the U.S. mint. Thus, those coins made by the mint are United States coins which are legal tender per Title 31, United States Code, Section 5103 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode31/usc_sec_31_00005103----000-.html). ;)

What you are thinking of is circulating coins. If the banks or Fed or even the Mint got their hands on the coin, it'd be removed from circulation, likely melted down. Until then, it's a U.S. coin and is 100% legal tender.

american.swan
09-28-2007, 08:10 AM
*cough* cough* bump donate GOLD

american.swan
09-28-2007, 11:38 AM
It's 2:30am and I have to let you all know that GOLD is the way to donate. See post number 13 of this thread.

libertythor
09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Lets get this out onto Daily Paul and Lew Rockwell. This will stay in line with "not badgering the campaign staff with sugestions"!

Anybody have contacts at these publications? Lets get the word out.

SouthernGuy15
09-28-2007, 11:48 AM
bump

cjhowe
09-28-2007, 12:25 PM
There in lies the rub.... Ron Paul can only sell the coin for face value, otherwise whoever purchases is giving an in-kind contribution and they will be limited to $2300 even if your hair brained scheme is otherwise legal (which is doubtful since your intent is to provide a contribution larger than is regulated).

Gilby
09-28-2007, 12:42 PM
There in lies the rub.... Ron Paul can only sell the coin for face value, otherwise whoever purchases is giving an in-kind contribution and they will be limited to $2300 even if your hair brained scheme is otherwise legal (which is doubtful since your intent is to provide a contribution larger than is regulated).

Then he could use them as payment for any purchases.

But, I believe the maximum cash donation is $100. That'd be 2 ounces of gold, or valued at $1550 bills of credit today. Or 2.5 ounces if you use the 1/4 ounce ones.

LibertyEagle
09-28-2007, 12:50 PM
I read this on the dailypaul.com site:

Ante up!

THEY CHANGED THEIR TUNE. Go look at The Daily Paul now. The campaign told them they are not setup to do this and if people over donate, then it will have to be returned.

american.swan
09-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Then he could use them as payment for any purchases.

But, I believe the maximum cash donation is $100. That'd be 2 ounces of gold, or valued at $1550 bills of credit today. Or 2.5 ounces if you use the 1/4 ounce ones.

So it would work something like this. Maybe not a great idea.

1. Some donor can't afford to donate $700. Donor sends the campaign two gold coins. (legal tender) valued at $100 cash. The campaign would state that they received a 100 dollar legal tender donation.

2. The campaign would/could put the coins up on the "buy stuff" section. Put the coins next to shirts and the like.

3. The campaign finds a person to buy the coins at the value of the gold. The campaign would then have to deduct $100 cash legal tender from their coffers and add the value of the gold price in legal tender.

Would that make sense? The campaign only deals with "legal tender" and as such gold isn't legal tender. Right?

LibertyEagle
09-28-2007, 04:38 PM
There was a post on The Daily Post yesterday that you could do so and it would be rolled over into the general election fund, if it exceeded $2300. But today, The Daily Paul has retracted their statement.

"Note: It was incorrectly reported here that individuals could donate over $2,300, with the remainder going to the general election. While this is technically correct, the Campaign has contacted me and informed me that they are not currently set up to comply with the Federal laws related to this practice. As a result, ANY MONEY DONATED OVER THE $2,300 INDIVIDUAL LIMIT WILL BE RETURNED. They may change this policy in the future - stay tuned. Sorry for the misunderstanding. More details here.

Michael "

http://dailypaul.com/node/2442

So, please don't do this. All it's going to do is cost the campaign money to have to deal with returning the money.

Green Mountain Boy
09-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Would that make sense? The campaign only deals with "legal tender" and as such gold isn't legal tender. Right?

Gold coins are legal tender. That's why they're called "Coins" and have a face value.

american.swan
09-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Gold coins are legal tender. That's why they're called "Coins" and have a face value.

yes, i already addressed that. The legal tender is the face value, not the value of the gold. Right? Gold isn't legal tender by itself. The gold coin is a cash donation, for the legal tender FACE VALUE, of $50. The gold in the coin doesn't change the "legal tender value of the coin". Right? If someone were to slip one of these $50 coins into Ron's pocket, the campaign would then treat it as 50 dollar donation, not a 700 dollar donation.

Looking at my last post. It seems a mess for HQ to add 50 dollars to their total then subtract the 50 when it's sold for 700+. It would be better just to sell the coin yourself and then take the 700 some odd cash and send that to them by credit card.