PDA

View Full Version : FoxNews: Girl Fined $50 For Selling Lemonade Without Permit

nbruno322
08-16-2009, 03:46 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,539865,00.html

Three sourpuss Parks Department agents put the squeeze on a 10-year-old girl in Riverside Park yesterday, slapping the tyke with a $50 ticket for hawking lemonade without a permit.

Clementine Lee, who lives just blocks from the Upper West Side park, had dreamed of opening a lemonade stand since last year and took advantage of yesterday's beautiful weather to set up shop.

"It was such a hot day I figured people would want a cold drink," the aspiring juvenile juice mogul told The Post.

Business was booming for Clementine and her photographer dad, Richard, 49, for the first 20 minutes at the stand on West 73rd Street and Riverside Drive.

The father-daughter team was able to sell 10 glasses of the ice-cold drink for 50 cents each and the dozen chocolate chip cookies they baked.

RM918
08-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Another one? Looks like they're cracking down.

amy31416
08-16-2009, 03:56 PM
A $50 fine?

That little capitalist tax-evading, FDA-evading anarchist should be put away for life!

FSP-Rebel
08-16-2009, 03:58 PM
What a shame. Hopefully the simpletons will start to realize how much regulations and licenses hurt people.

Matt Collins
08-16-2009, 03:59 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3114/3141139302_45d5b3b0a6_o.jpg

evilfunnystuff
08-16-2009, 04:10 PM
operation.

"They approached us nonchalantly but then surrounded us," the peeved papa recalled. "They were very hostile as soon as they approached, saying 'Where's your permit? Where's your permit?' "

When Richard admitted he didn't have the right to sell on Parks property, the agents immediately slapped the dad and daughter with a summons

good thing the girl wasnt eating as lemon at the time or she might have ended up dead like this guy
YouTube - louisiana; dash cam shows police choke man to death for drugs in his mouth july 11 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SoBn86IPTE)

james1906
08-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Fuck Bloomberg

FrankRep
08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Girl Ticketed for Selling Lemonade and Cookies (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/crime/1683)

Alex Newman | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
18 August 2009

A 10-year-old girl in New York City made headlines over the weekend after receiving a $50 ticket for selling lemonade and home-made cookies in the park.

The entrepreneurial Clementine Lee and her father Richard set up shop in Riverside Park and had been in business for about 15 or 20 minutes before four park agents arrived demanding to see their permit.

"They approached us nonchalantly but then surrounded us," Clementine’s dad told the New York Post. "They were very hostile as soon as they approached, saying 'Where's your permit? Where's your permit?'"

The dad admitted that the pair did not have one, so the officers proceeded to issue a citation — with a maximum fine of $200 — for allegedly selling food without a license. "You've got to be kidding me, this is outrageous!" he told the hostile regulation enforcers. "Don't these agents have anything better to do? They could have at least told us to move but they didn't give us a chance.… There are better ways to raise money for the Parks Department then busting 10 year-olds."

A crowd of onlookers also stuck up for the duo, but to no avail — the “heartless pack of city sticklers iced their operation,” as the Post put it in its humorous and pun-filled story entitled "Sweet Lemonade Kid $lapped — Bitter Agents Write $50 Ticket." The daddy-daughter team managed to sell all 12 of their chocolate chip cookies and 10 glasses of lemonade at 50 cents each before the bust, but nowhere near enough to pay the fine.

"It was such a hot day I figured people would want a cold drink," the soccer enthusiast Clementine explained. "I was really nervous when these three agents cornered me and my dad.… I think they should let people sell lemonade out here. We weren't hurting anyone." She told the local CBS affiliate that "they made me feel really, really bad, and scared at the same time," noting that she did not know she was “breaking the law.”

Fortunately sanity prevailed, if only because the story got out in the press. After the Post contacted the department, the park commissioner announced that the fine would be thrown out.

"The agent used extremely poor judgment," commissioner Adrian Benepe told the paper, saying he looked forward to buying lemonade from the girl if he passes by and that the officer responsible would be re-trained and reassigned. “We’re going to make lemonade out of lemons.”

Clementine said she might take him up on it, but that she was going to wait a little while first. After the ordeal, she moved the illegal operation to the lobby of her building, where presumably Big Brother has no say. And by the end of the day, she managed to earn $19 for her savings.

But if it was not for the widespread exposure this story received — including stories on national news wires — the fine may have easily stuck and she could have had to cough up another $31 to the park department.

Ayn Rand wrote, “When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing … you may know that your society is doomed.” Hopefully we can get some real change at all levels of government before it really is too late.

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/crime/1683

Napoleon's Shadow
07-01-2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26hlpBnc20o

Bruehound
07-01-2011, 11:49 AM
I actually want to see more of this because it provides a clear example of the absurdity of permitting and licensing laws. It exposes the true nature of the state to many more people and brings them to our side.

acptulsa
07-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I actually want to see more of this because it provides a clear example of the absurdity of permitting and licensing laws. It exposes the true nature of the state to many more people and brings them to our side.

Yeah, sometimes I think we made a mistake shaming them into inserting the amendment into the Monsanto Bill a year and a half ago (probably the one this girl violated) which graciously permitted farmers' markets to continue to exist. It might be repealed by now if we hadn't.

AlexAmore
07-01-2011, 12:11 PM
At least the Commies had the manners to say "Paper's please"

Napoleon's Shadow
08-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Doing this in DC will lead to arrest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04MNf1YdNxI&feature=player_embedded

DamianTV
08-21-2011, 04:53 PM
I was kind of hoping that there would have been a flood of news stories about this today, as it follows Lemonade Freedom Day.

pcosmar
08-21-2011, 05:02 PM
I was kind of hoping that there would have been a flood of news stories about this today, as it follows Lemonade Freedom Day.

There were a bunch in one of the threads today. Likely buried by now.

edit
Here it is,
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?310892-Lemonade-Freedom-Day-VIVA-LA-LEMONISTA-S

qh4dotcom
08-21-2011, 08:39 PM

Same could be said about the TSA groping....more groping will cause people to wake up....and yes, I think it's disgusting and the state legislatures should do something about it.

DamianTV
08-22-2011, 12:32 AM
It probably wont be long before people have to be groped in order to leave their homes. But what government could afford the costs of doing that? By that time, every single American Citizen will cower in their homes and a sense of hopelessness will wash away the American Dream. People wont try to fight back against that level of injustice if they feel like they are the only ones ready to raise their voices. This is one of the reasons the MSM refuses to acknowledge Ron Paul. Its not about the good Doctor, its about making people feel cut off and isolated, hopeless, and suseptible to their lies and tyranny. Well, thats one method of control, but it is being instilled into us and especially our children at every possible opportunity.

When Lemonade is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Lemonade.

Pericles
08-22-2011, 08:38 AM
When I was a kid, this was a free country. With props to Gordo.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-22-2011, 08:45 AM
:mad: the last generation fought the Nazis and Commies, and it was all for naught.

Krugerrand
08-22-2011, 08:46 AM

This quote you dug up just seems to fit everywhere:

I think this says it best:

"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward."
— Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/10420.Aleksandr_Solzhenitsyn)

Pericles
08-22-2011, 10:34 AM
This quote you dug up just seems to fit everywhere:

He was a great writer.

Hospitaller
08-22-2011, 10:35 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3114/3141139302_45d5b3b0a6_o.jpg

I enjoyed that

Steve Teters
08-22-2011, 11:00 AM
LOL, a great snapshot of our economy, too bad it is so true.

brushfire
08-22-2011, 11:02 AM
She should have had a dog there with her. They would have shot the dog, and fox would have an UBER-rediculous story to report.

fisharmor
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM

I like Gordo, and I take his point... but his childhood country was one where darkie knew his place, too.

By that time, every single American Citizen will cower in their homes and a sense of hopelessness will wash away the American Dream. People wont try to fight back against that level of injustice if they feel like they are the only ones ready to raise their voices.

I take heart in the fact that the Liddy quote above is mostly false.
When he was a kid, when I was a kid, when you were a kid, the same things were happening. The ACLU is a very old organization, you know.

When this country was founded, it was assumed at the onset that there would be limited participation in it. White male landowners weren't necessarily chosen for sexist or racist reasons; I'm convinced it was because they were the class of people most likely to be educated.

I'm so against public school because that is how they keep us complacent and ignorant and apathetic. People are beginning to reject school in droves - not for liberty reasons, for mostly results reasons, but the effect is the same: people are breaking out of their complacency. And I've seen really popular homeschool curricula which contain Austrian economics.

Even with the mandatory 12 year indoctrination, people are breaking free. If they ever learned anything about education, they probably know it doesn't stop after they graduate - and many of them are walking around with free education in their pockets, for consumption at any time they choose.

People are waking up! They're breaking out of the mold as has never been the case before!
But it's going to take time. Don't despair.
It's a long way to the goal. Once we realize that, and more importantly, realize that going BACK isn't progress, we'll realize how far we've already come.

Krugerrand
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
She should have had a dog there with her. They would have shot the dog, and fox would have an UBER-rediculous story to report.

Note to those who intend to try this advice: borrow one from the humane society, don't take your own.

fisharmor
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Note to those who intend to try this advice: borrow one from the humane society, don't take your own.

Take one that's been there 13 days, and then it won't be such a shame when they shoot it.

DamianTV
08-22-2011, 04:56 PM

I take heart in the fact that the Liddy quote above is mostly false.
When he was a kid, when I was a kid, when you were a kid, the same things were happening. The ACLU is a very old organization, you know.

When this country was founded, it was assumed at the onset that there would be limited participation in it. White male landowners weren't necessarily chosen for sexist or racist reasons; I'm convinced it was because they were the class of people most likely to be educated.

I'm so against public school because that is how they keep us complacent and ignorant and apathetic. People are beginning to reject school in droves - not for liberty reasons, for mostly results reasons, but the effect is the same: people are breaking out of their complacency. And I've seen really popular homeschool curricula which contain Austrian economics.

Even with the mandatory 12 year indoctrination, people are breaking free. If they ever learned anything about education, they probably know it doesn't stop after they graduate - and many of them are walking around with free education in their pockets, for consumption at any time they choose.

People are waking up! They're breaking out of the mold as has never been the case before!
But it's going to take time. Don't despair.
It's a long way to the goal. Once we realize that, and more importantly, realize that going BACK isn't progress, we'll realize how far we've already come.

Totally agree. And Im not despairing. Referring to the people that will wake up by the time that its "too late to fix", like people in the media, who want to stay asleep or keep others asleep. House is on fire! Thats fine, go back to bed.

And going BACK isn't Progress, thats called Congress! (/pun)