PDA

View Full Version : Rep. McHenry Not Ready For Birther Status

Bradley in DC
08-15-2009, 11:20 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2009/08/dont_add_rep_patrick_mchenry.html?wprss=sleuth

Rep. McHenry Not Ready For Birther Status

Don't add Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) to the short-but-colorful list of House birthers just yet. It's a club he apparently isn't quite ready to embrace.

After first suggesting at a town hall meeting in his district that he isn't convinced President Obama is a natural-born U.S. citizen, the North Carolina Republican backpedaled.

At the forum on Wednesday evening, McHenry, according to the Charlotte Observer, said, "I haven't seen evidence one way or the other" proving Obama's citizenship. He also said the issue is being addressed "in the courts."

On Thursday, McHenry released a statement clarifying his position on the president's eligibility.

"As I stated last night, I have not carefully reviewed the evidence as a jurist would," the congressman said. "However, from what I have read, I have absolutely no reason to question President Obama's citizenship. I anticipate that as a legal matter the courts will continue to come to the same conclusion."

While he may have gotten caught up in the heat of the moment at his town hall forum, what with the birther craze sweeping his state, McHenry's quick about face on the issue shows he may not want to be associated with a movement largely discounted by the Republican establishment in Washington.

Voters in North Carolina, which Obama carried by the thinnest of margins last year, however, remain skeptical of Obama's eligibility.

A poll conducted early this month found that 54 percent of North Carolina voters believe Obama was born in the United States. And only 24 percent of the state's Republican voters believe Obama is a natural-born citizen. (Keep in mind: the survey, conducted by Public Policy Polling, was an automated robo poll.)

Flash
08-15-2009, 11:45 PM
At the forum on Wednesday evening, McHenry, according to the Charlotte Observer, said, "I haven't seen evidence one way or the other" proving Obama's citizenship.

Just like the rest of us. Obama's lack of desire to show evidence for him being a natural-born citizen is evidence enough for the Birther movement.

Stary Hickory
08-16-2009, 12:08 AM
I want the Rule of law enforced in every instance of government. A president should be eligible under the law as well. You cannot say you are for ignoring some parts of the Rule of Law and then refer to it in your own defense when others throw out laws that they don't want to abide by.

This whole deal is embarrassing. It really shames this movement, when people here so energetically advocate abandoning principle and adherence to the rule of law. Sad to see really. You don't see Ron Paul behaving like this, and their is a reason.

Bradley in DC
08-16-2009, 07:05 AM
I want the Rule of law enforced in every instance of government. A president should be eligible under the law as well. You cannot say you are for ignoring some parts of the Rule of Law and then refer to it in your own defense when others throw out laws that they don't want to abide by.

This whole deal is embarrassing. It really shames this movement, when people here so energetically advocate abandoning principle and adherence to the rule of law. Sad to see really. You don't see Ron Paul behaving like this, and their is a reason.

Rule of law? How about forum guidelines which you never follow. All you seem to do is go around in the forum and highjack every thread you're on.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=22

"Posts that do not relate to the threads intent are subject to being deleted."

Beyond that, when I start threads exactly on the decline of the rule of law, there are no replies:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=204730
Where are you and the birthers on the real rule of law question threads? Seems as though you're right, our post histories indicate one of the two of us are selective about it.

You don't follow these and other forum guidelines (no, your post here has nothing to do with this US Rep., are repeatedly negative and personal), the rules of grammar or even advocate following the US constitution:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=202993

And yet when I start a thread about following the rule of law and the constitution on the issue, most birthers have no interest. Why is that? This congressman seems to get it.

Dr. Paul has not taken up the birther cause with good reason so stop pretending you know about what's best for our movement (where were you before the birther nonsense?).

lynnf
08-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Rule of law? How about forum guidelines which you never follow. All you seem to do is go around in the forum and highjack every thread you're on.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=22

"Posts that do not relate to the threads intent are subject to being deleted."

Beyond that, when I start threads exactly on the decline of the rule of law, there are no replies:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=204730
Where are you and the birthers on the real rule of law question threads? Seems as though you're right, our post histories indicate one of the two of us are selective about it.

You don't follow these and other forum guidelines (no, your post here has nothing to do with this US Rep., are repeatedly negative and personal), the rules of grammar or even advocate following the US constitution:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=202993

And yet when I start a thread about following the rule of law and the constitution on the issue, most birthers have no interest. Why is that? This congressman seems to get it.

Dr. Paul has not taken up the birther cause with good reason so stop pretending you know about what's best for our movement (where were you before the birther nonsense?).

"And yet when I start a thread about following the rule of law and the constitution on the issue, most birthers have no interest. Why is that? This congressman seems to get it."

for one thing, on the most part it may be a lack of time - the particular Hayek link you provided is a long article. and if it's like a 'preaching to the choir' issue, something I don't heavily disagree with, I won't comment - you know, choosing your battles wisely. then there's the visibility issue - posts can drop down the list and go to the second page (on General Politics) before I even log on, thereby greatly lessening the probability that I will see it because I rarely go to the second page unless I'm looking for a post that I saw previously.

there may be many other reasons that you perceive no interest at these times, not all of which are due to the reason(s) that you insinuate.

lynn

Bradley in DC
08-16-2009, 10:40 AM
for one thing, on the most part it may be a lack of time - the particular Hayek link you provided is a long article. and if it's like a 'preaching to the choir' issue, something I don't heavily disagree with, I won't comment - you know, choosing your battles wisely. then there's the visibility issue - posts can drop down the list and go to the second page (on General Politics) before I even log on, thereby greatly lessening the probability that I will see it because I rarely go to the second page unless I'm looking for a post that I saw previously.

there may be many other reasons that you perceive no interest at these times, not all of which are due to the reason(s) that you insinuate.

lynn

Fair enough on the other reasons, of course, but the thread on the discussion on the constitutionality of the birther approach gets little attention--and the Hayek one on the Decline of the Rule of Law thread got no responses and a few dozen views before people could even find out it links to a long article.

Visibility: exactly my point. Threads actually on the rule of law drop off, but any inane one no matter how tangentially related to the birther question takes off. That's exactly my point.

The crocodile tears shed by some birthers on their concerns regarding the constitution and the rule of law don't impress me.

pcosmar
08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Ah, so his position is as firm as jello.

I really have no use for these fools that talk one day and have another opinion the next, all based on nothing but political expedience.

http://www.dickrhode.com/images/largemouth_bass_flopping_around_lg_clr.gif

Bradley in DC
08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Ah, so his position is as firm as jello.

I really have no use for these fools that talk one day and have another opinion the next, all based on nothing but political expedience.

What are you talking about? Examples, citations, anything except childish graphics?