PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Emanuel Wields Power Freely, Faces Risks

Cowlesy
08-15-2009, 05:42 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/us/politics/16emanuel.html?pagewanted=3&_r=2&hp

My favorite remarks from the article:

Any White House blends political operatives with policy wonks in a sometimes-uneasy relationship. In this White House, they have given themselves nicknames — the Aspen Institute policy people versus the Tammany Hall political people. Mr. Emanuel is the undisputed boss of Tammany Hall. But he sometimes challenges the Aspen Institute on its turf.

Man, we are f'd.

amy31416
08-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Sounds like it.

What do you think of Emanuel's alleged opposition to settlement expansion? Political shield? Back-door politics?

Can't quite figure out why, but it certainly doesn't seem sincere.

Cowlesy
08-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Sounds like it.

What do you think of Emanuel's alleged opposition to settlement expansion? Political shield? Back-door politics?

Can't quite figure out why, but it certainly doesn't seem sincere.

Say one think, nod & wink the opposite. We have a true gangster-government.

max
08-15-2009, 06:12 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/us/politics/16emanuel.html?pagewanted=3&_r=2&hp

My favorite remarks from the article:

Man, we are f'd.

Trey Greyson is affiliated with Aspen institute

amy31416
08-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Say one thing, nod & wink the opposite. We have a true gangster-government.

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I have been thinking.

I wonder what will end up happening with Iran? I mean they have to be somewhat subtle, right? Can't have another USS Liberty fiasco and try to blame it on Iran or the game's over. I think that whatever it is will be pretty nuanced.

Our soldiers just have to start refusing. I don't see any other way out of this mess.

Cowlesy
08-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah, that's along the lines of what I have been thinking.

I wonder what will end up happening with Iran? I mean they have to be somewhat subtle, right? Can't have another USS Liberty fiasco and try to blame it on Iran or the game's over. I think that whatever it is will be pretty nuanced.

Our soldiers just have to start refusing. I don't see any other way out of this mess.

The public, though waking up, is still pretty zombified' and lockstep when it comes to our military actions ex ground invasions. A military strike on Iran could serve as a way to try and "bring the country together" so that they can keep pushing through legislation "through tough times".