PDA

View Full Version : Judge sentences man to 6 months in jail for yawning

denison
08-15-2009, 03:58 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-jailed-for-yawning-10-aug10,0,3679452.story

Clifton Williams arrived at the Will County Courthouse in Joliet and sat in the fourth-floor courtroom where his cousin was pleading guilty to a felony drug charge.

As Circuit Judge Daniel Rozak handed down the cousin's sentence -- 2 years' probation -- Williams, 33, stretched and let out a very ill-timed yawn.

Williams' sentence? Six months in jail -- the maximum penalty for criminal contempt without a jury trial. The Richton Park man was locked up July 23 and will serve at least 21 days.

"I was flabbergasted because I didn't realize a judge could do that," said Williams' father, Clifton Williams Sr. "It seems to me like a yawn is an involuntary action."

Chuck Pelkie, a spokesman for the state's attorney's office, said the prosecutor in the courtroom that day told him that "it was not a simple yawn -- it was a loud and boisterous attempt to disrupt the proceedings."

Jason Mayfield, the cousin of Williams who was pleading guilty at the time, said it was "not an outrageous yawn."

A Tribune review of a decade's worth of contempt-of-court charges reveals that Rozak jails people -- typically spectators whose cell phones go off or who scream or shout profanity during sentencing -- at a far higher rate than any other judge in the county. There are now 30 judges in the 12th Judicial Circuit, but since 1999, Rozak has brought more than a third of all the contempt charges, records show.

And while it is not uncommon for judges to jail people for ignoring subpoenas or court orders or appearing in court drunk or under the influence of drugs, Rozak's charges tend to involve behavior that would not otherwise be criminal.

this country is descending into a fascist hellhole. Things like this don't even happen in china. scary. :(

AtomiC
08-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Circuit Judge Daniel Rozak is corrupt and should be thrown out.

KCIndy
08-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I'll guess that the guy was probably trying to be disruptive... but damn! That's a longer jail sentence than a DWI would serve!

It sounds like the judge is a power-drunk hardass who gets off on pushing around people who can't fight back... In other places, that's called "being a bully."

The more sensible resolution would have been to fine the guy a hundred bucks... point would be made. How much is it going to COST that county to keep the offender locked up for three weeks??